Poll: Do you believe that (some) crop circles are genuine alien phenomena?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you believe that (some) crop circles are genuine alien phenomena?
Yes
76 12%
No
229 36%
It's possible
229 36%
I'm not going to acknowledge this thread
102 16%
Voters: 636.
Page 1 of 10
(tl;dr at bottom)

I posted this in another thread, but I think it's thought provoking and thread-worthy on it's own; that and it's driving me ****ing insane. Let's get this straight...the only "conspiracy" I believe in is aliens. Although alien contact with Earth is so astronomically against the odds that it's hard to believe, I love entertaining the possibilty every chance I get. And if it's a hoax, then I feel entertained regardless.

That being said, I believe that a good portion of all crop circles in the world are real alien phenomena and no one will ever make me believe otherwise, I'm just interested in opinions. It's something that a lot of people think is silly, but the conditions on the ground of a "genuine" crop circle cannot be replicated by two people with string and planks...and even if they had the technology, it would be nearly impossible to pull it off without a trace of human interaction, human error in the formation, or being caught from the time it would take to replicate those conditions (stalks bent - not broken - at the base of the plant by microwave radiation, the presence of that radiation the day after, and microscopic iron spheres scattered in a pattern about the field - just to name a few).

The one that's been fascinating me the most is the supposed "Chilbolton Arecibo message". SETI (Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence) sent a message from the Arecibo satellite in 1974. It looked like this when decoded:

In 2001, we supposedly received a reply in a few different crop circles that're really creepy:

Close-up of the upper right crop circle with explanation:

There's another crop circle that was in the same field (later in 2001 or in 2002, not sure), but it's very unbelievable looking and it makes it much harder for me to believe the entire story:

Apparently the ball the alien figure is holding is a message that was translated using ASCII code:

"Beware the bearers of FALSE gifts and their BROKEN PROMISES. Much PAIN but still time. BELIEVE. There is GOOD out there. We oppose DECEPTION. COnduit CLOSING,"

I know you will believe what you want to believe. If this is a hoax, then the hoaxers are photoshop masters for taking the time to shoop these crop circles from so many different overhead angles and coming up with a cryptic message in 2/3 of them. Greatest hoax of our time if it were...but I believe it's possible that this is real.

Go here for information on the first two:
http://www.cropcircleresearch.com/articles/arecibo.html

And here for information on the really unbelievable one:
http://www.cropcircleresearch.com/articles/alienface.html

Sorry for the walloalientext and yes, I realize how stupid all this sounds, and yes I am wearing a tinfoil hat.

tl;dr

Do you believe that crop circles are real alien phenomena or are every single one of them a hoax?
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
I saw a TV show where some people tried to make one and it looked lame. Plus they have found that in some circles the stalks were weaved and bent at seemingly impossible angles. And sometimes cell phones/walkie talkies don't work while standing on them.

It could all be computers though.
maybe. i dont know. i voted its possible

EDIT: though like TS said in that conspiracy theories thread, if it is a hoax, its the greatest hoax of all time...
Guitars:
Martin DSR acoustic
Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Les Paul
Amp:
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Pedals:
535Q Crybaby>Fulltone OCD>Phase 90>EHX Big Muff>MXR Carbon Copy>EHX Holy Grail
You can call me Matt
Last edited by crzysnowborder at Jul 8, 2009,
i believe they are from aliens as well.
im not even joking, i believe it all.
Guitars:

Mitchell MD100S
Yamaha CS40
Dean V-Coustic
Laguna LE122

Amp:
Line 6 Spider III 15W
That stuff has to be fake. If crops really fell into the shape of a face with sunglasses like that, we would have no doubt that there are aliens.
I believe it, I always have. and thats some crazy **** up there man
Last edited by KevinGuitarGod at Jul 8, 2009,
I believe that there is a good chance intelligent extraterrestrial life exists, and even that it may be aware of our existence. However, I don't think these aliens have visited earth and made crop circles for the following reasons:

1. In our attempts to contact extraterrestrials, we humans have sent messages via radio waves. When exploring other planets, we have sent robotic probes. It would only be reasonable that aliens would use one or both of these methods to contact us first, rather than cryptic patterns in corn and supposed abductions and whatnot. If we do contact extraterrestrials, it will either be via a message received over radio waves, or a robotic probe landing somewhere on earth.

2. Why the fuck would aliens go to all the trouble to make crop circles? For the lulz?
kill all humans
Quote by charliezard!
That stuff has to be fake. If crops really fell into the shape of a face with sunglasses like that, we would have no doubt that there are aliens.

What sunglasses are you talking about?

Quote by alaskan_ninja
Why the fuck would aliens go to all the trouble to make crop circles? For the lulz?

To troll the world.
Those particular crop circles look fake.

But I know all about the crazy things that it does to the crops (the way they're twisted, damaged, etc.) and the compasses, cell phones, etc. going haywire in the crop circles, and while I'm not saying it's necessarily extraterrestrial, it IS unexplained.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
I believe that there is a good chance intelligent extraterrestrial life exists, and even that it may be aware of our existence. However, I don't think these aliens have visited earth and made crop circles for the following reasons:

1. In our attempts to contact extraterrestrials, we humans have sent messages via radio waves. When exploring other planets, we have sent robotic probes. It would only be reasonable that aliens would use one or both of these methods to contact us first, rather than cryptic patterns in corn and supposed abductions and whatnot. If we do contact extraterrestrials, it will either be via a message received over radio waves, or a robotic probe landing somewhere on earth.

2. Why the fuck would aliens go to all the trouble to make crop circles? For the lulz?

Maybe what makes sense to us doesn't make sense to them and vice versa. Maybe their radio transmitting technology is completely obsolete and they would much rather make a large spectacle that can be observed by someone other than a person in a satellite tower. Maybe they did it for the lulz and we're a big celestial joke right now. There's no telling, but every theory that will be mentioned in this thread is possible, because we have no idea for sure.

Additionally, the odds that we've made contact AND received a reply in such a small amount of time are tremendously against us, but the odds could be reduced if either they inhabit something much closer to us than we could've imagined, they're already monitoring us very closely and realize what we're trying to do, or they inhabit our planet (which I do not believe btw). It's all possible...even the lulz.
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
The Last picture looks like some really cheesy portrait of an alien dictator...

Anyways, I guess it's possible for aliens to be behind some of the unexplained crop circles but I'd always imagined that highly intelligent beings from another planet would come up with a more efficient and effective way of communicating with us. If aliens are responsible for crop circles it's probably more about, like alaskan_ninja said, getting a kick out of fucking with humans more than anything else.
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
to be perfectly honest, if it is aliens, im almost sure they're just ****ing with people for t3h lulz. they would have many more efficient methods of communicating, but instead they choose to lay out intricate symbols and codes in our fields. i call shenanigans.
i believe that IF aliens had the technology to travel thousands, millions, or billions of light years to reach us, i find it highly unlikely that they wouldn't give us ACTUAL CONCRETE EVIDENCE of their existence, but instead would waste time making shapes in our crops.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
Quote by TOcheesehead
i believe that IF aliens had the technology to travel thousands, millions, or billions of light years to reach us, i find it highly unlikely that they wouldn't give us ACTUAL CONCRETE EVIDENCE of their existence, but instead would waste time making shapes in our crops.

Maybe they know we're too primitive for actual concrete evidence and will riot ourselves to extinction whilst freaking out. Maybe (according to the popular belief) the government has the concrete evidence and doesn't want us to see it. You people aren't opening up to this very well.
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
i respect your opinion, i just find crop circles silly.
_b l/ink youreyes /1 for yes 2 fo_r n o
Quote by Blow Me
Maybe they know we're too primitive for actual concrete evidence and will riot ourselves to extinction whilst freaking out. Maybe (according to the popular belief) the government has the concrete evidence and doesn't want us to see it. You people aren't opening up to this very well.

i don't think the government is capable of hiding something like that.

also, about that binary disk... it was decoded with ASCII... that's as ridiculous as the bible code. you can't hop to decode something of alien origin with a human numerical system of our own invention
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
i don't think the government is capable of hiding something like that.
I agree. Why expect them to be able to hide aliens when they can't even hide a blowjob?
kill all humans
Quote by alaskan_ninja
I agree. Why expect them to be able to hide aliens when they can't even hide a blowjob?

if they are capable of interplanetary travel, im pretty sure they're capable of making themselves known if they felt like it.
I think the surest sign of intelligent life is none of it has attempted to contact us yet.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Aliens communicate through crop circles because that's the only way they know perhaps?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Maybe the aliens have been trying to communicate with us telepathically but think we are too stupid because we haven't responded. So they're drawing these things in fields, you know, like a picture book for preschoolers.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
also, about that binary disk... it was decoded with ASCII... that's as ridiculous as the bible code. you can't hop to decode something of alien origin with a human numerical system of our own invention

I understand...but in my own weird quasi-extraterrestrial obsessed mind I think that the crop circle shaped like a face somewhat explains this. In our original message, we sent them a stick figure-like image. In their reply, they sent a much more detailed image of a human face. I think the message in that particular pattern is that they know more about us than we would like to think. They then replied to our original message with information about themselves, and sent their own (however unrealistic it may be).

But another point about crop circles not being a big enough "broadcast" to the human race:

Think about if you were an alien that was trying to make peaceful contact with a foreign species on their native planet. You wouldn't know what to expect from direct interaction, so you feel that you should be slightly less intrusive. So, in the cases of crop circles, they are etching universal symbols of geometry, physics, and even our own animals into some of our most imported/exported food supplies...and they're making them 300+ ft. in some cases! If I did that to another planet, I would expect them to get the message. Especially if I did it all over the world and, in some cases, multiple times in the same fields.
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Last edited by Blow Me at Jul 8, 2009,
By the way, TS, how are aliens supposed to know what the hell that message is? Okay, the binary part makes some sense, but really? Connecting that the first bit is chemical formulas, the next are DNA formulas, and that suddenly we aren't speaking binary anymore, not to mention that they grasped what the new things were very exactly?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Interesting. The aliens must be controlling this cow.

*e-cookie for reference
VERY METAL!
\m/
RIP Ronnie James Dio

Quote by metaldud536
RazorTheAwesome, if I was a Ditto, I'd transform into YOU

Quote by Kensai
Basically god wanted to punish people for getting educated/eating apples.

Quote by Jackal58
We all desire a little pussy.
Quote by SteveHouse
By the way, TS, how are aliens supposed to know what the hell that message is? Okay, the binary part makes some sense, but really? Connecting that the first bit is chemical formulas, the next are DNA formulas, and that suddenly we aren't speaking binary anymore, not to mention that they grasped what the new things were very exactly?

I would also like to point out that the thing about the elements is based on our own periodic table, and some of these elements may not exist where they come from. to me these "decodings" seem to be a lot of speculation and a case of "you see what you want to see". im sure the decoders went through many methods that did not work until they found something that translated to human language (english might i add... we have many languages)
Look up a man named John Lundberg. Made some beautiful crop-circles with his group.

Not to say that all are man-made on this planet. Just saying that they are possible to make.
I'm Canadian Eh?
Eat a live toad first thing in the morning. Nothing worse will happen to you all day.
Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes.
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Interesting. The aliens must be controlling this cow.

*e-cookie for reference

Invader Zim...

And from what I understand, the periodic table is universal in it's order. Even if they didn't have a system of elements (which would be impossible considering their supposed technology), it wouldn't be that hard to figure it out. And while I understand where everyone is coming from, I still believe that they know a great deal about us considering that UFOs have been seen and described for thousands of years in art and literature.

And SteveHouse...I honestly don't know the difference between binary and my left testicle, but the first article at the bottom of the first post explains (if you understand that crap) how they're supposed to know this from that and blah-di-blah.
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
There used to be a badass crop circle site around the Tubez called circlehunters.org or something like that, but I can't find it.... Anyone know what I'm talking about? They always had some awesome formations.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Our present periodic table was concieved by a scientist by the name of Mendeleev in the 19th century. It left space for elements that were not yet found. It is arranged by atomic number (amount of protons found in nucleus).

There are many variations of how to categorize the elements. Our system (Mendeleev) managed to connect atomic number to the amount of electron shells, which has something to do with the Bohr model of valence shells.

Anyhoo, the periodic table could be different for an alien species, since they may have discovered elements that we have not.
I'm Canadian Eh?
Eat a live toad first thing in the morning. Nothing worse will happen to you all day.
Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes.
According to Rove, it's just Wallabies that got high on chemicals. They jumped around in circles and produced those circles with their footprints.
Found it! It's circlemakers.org. Here's an example of their stuff:

It doesn't look like they've done much with the site in a while though

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa

Quote by Brandon!
Our present periodic table was concieved by a scientist by the name of Mendeleev in the 19th century. It left space for elements that were not yet found. It is arranged by atomic number (amount of protons found in nucleus).

There are many variations of how to categorize the elements. Our system (Mendeleev) managed to connect atomic number to the amount of electron shells, which has something to do with the Bohr model of valence shells.

Anyhoo, the periodic table could be different for an alien species, since they may have discovered elements that we have not.

So our periodic table = horse & carriage...their periodic table = 2009 Lamborgini

...they would still understand by mixing numbers around, right?

And this still only proves that they know more about us than we would like to think if they could interpret our periodic table and binary codes so accurately. Perhaps they had similar systems in their more primitive times?
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
way to scare the sh*t out of me at 2:40 am
Quote by dr_chainsaw0
the whole time i was expecting it to end in the fresh prince theme song

Quote by blackflag49
"You're only as fresh as your game", said the Lord - Corinthians 22:12
Quote by SteveHouse
Found it! It's circlemakers.org. Here's an example of their stuff:

It doesn't look like they've done much with the site in a while though

that is awesomely cool. what do they use to make the designs?
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
that is awesomely cool. what do they use to make the designs?

I have no idea, but the site probably tells you if you're that interested. If I had to guess, it's your standard stomp board, string, and protractor after designing the thing on a compy.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa