So I have decided to delve into the area of guitar customization. I am going to use a guitar that I do not care if I mess it up or not. So the first thing I want to do, is strip the body of paint, and repaint it, and add a new neck. Is there a specific kind of paint I should use for the base and or can I use spray-paint?
Aum Mani Padme Hum-Avalokiteshvara
(Om jewel in the lotus Hum)
Spray-Paint is a must.
Do about 8+ coats, or to the color desired of your paint,
then, 8+ coats of laquer/Clear-coat

Make sure to mask off your neck pocket, as not doing this, can lead to messed up neckyness.

Also, Make sure to allow proper time to dry between coats, and when each coat completely dries, sand it with a high-grit sandpaper (800+)
With laquer, on your final coats, use up to 2000.

For a paint brand, I reccomend KRYLON.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
Spray-Paint is a must.
Do about 8+ coats, or to the color desired of your paint,
then, 8+ coats of laquer/Clear-coat

Make sure to mask off your neck pocket, as not doing this, can lead to messed up neckyness.

Also, Make sure to allow proper time to dry between coats, and when each coat completely dries, sand it with a high-grit sandpaper (800+)
With laquer, on your final coats, use up to 2000.

For a paint brand, I reccomend KRYLON.

And this OP, is why you really SHOULD go to the painting sticky rather than risk asking the question anywhere else.

The basic idea is there, but lacks detail and real knowledge.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
And this OP, is why you really SHOULD go to the painting sticky rather than risk asking the question anywhere else.

The basic idea is there, but lacks detail and real knowledge.

I just guessed at amount of coats.
When I did my guitar, I kept on doing coats, 'till all my cans ran dry.
Quote by Invader Jim
And the fact that you aren't supposed to let it completely dry between whet-sanding.

You mean between coats....

And he recommended far too high a grit to allow good adhesion between coats....not that you sand colour coats....
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Ah **** it...
Don't take my advice...
I'm geting confuzed with all this paint stuff.

The masking off the neck pocket thing was a legit piece of advice, and also, my reccomendation to use KRYLON was a legit reccomendation.