I've been trying to practice with my pinky for a while now but it seems like im getting nowhere. I've been told to just practice but I'm starting to think maybe its just something with my hand and not technique at all (possible excuse >_>.

Like often i cannot arch my pinky at all compared to me other fingers. Usually it would feel like my knuckled is being locked in and it causes my pinky to just flap downwards with no control. I'm not sure if this is normal or not but it's frustrating to try and learn a quick riff when you can't even use you cant even use your pinky.

I guess I'm just frustrated right now. I think I might've made this topic before but I guess I'll ask again. Any tips?

I'm still going to practice by first off playing at a slow temple then gradually accelerate.
All I can recommend is that you practice excersises that will be efficient in building strength in your pinky - lack of strength is after all the issue, right?

Practice trills between your ring and pinky fingers. See if you can do a fast trill for a minute straight with consistent volume of notes. My guess is that right now your pinky is nowhere near strong enough to do that, but if you practice that particular exercise you'll quickly and efficiently build the necessary strength.
I used to think the same thing when I had the same problem. Over time it worked itself out.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
do strength and stretching exercises to build coordination. dont just practice using ur pinky in songs.

or do pinky push-ups. that could work.
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Quote by T.I. Charisma
maybe its just something with my hand and not technique at all

Don't make excuses.

Can you play 4 finger chords OK?
Do some trills. Use your pinky and index first, then pinky and middle, and pinky and ring. Incorporate that into your warm up exercises. Or you could just smash it with a hammer and become known as a 3-fingered guitarist kind of like Chris Poland. You might want to take some painkillers before that though.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Do some trills. Use your pinky and index first, then pinky and middle, and pinky and ring. Incorporate that into your warm up exercises. Or you could just smash it with a hammer and become known as a 3-fingered guitarist kind of like Chris Poland. You might want to take some painkillers before that though.

+1 minus the finger smashing

The trill exersice works wonders...it can be very painful, but it will really strengthen your fingers.
1.Kill Paul Gilbert
2.Drink his blood
3.???
4.PINKY POWER!!!!

Trills are the best thing you can do to strengthen any finger, just dont overdo it when your starting, take breaks as your hand will cramp like never before
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Try hammer-ons using your pinky. Do it daily and do it for 5-10 minutes. That may not seem like a long time, but you will see results if you actually focus solely on the hammer-on and do it repeatedly. You just have to stick with it and do it until you're bored out of your skull and then do it more!

You could also try using your ring and pinky doing notes across all strings. Such as playing 5 then 6 and then moving up a string and doing it over and over and over, up and down the strings. This will help give you more control of your pinky if you're using your ring as well since you're strengthening the same muscle region in your hand in tandem.
You gotta put your faith in a loud guitar.
I used to have the same problem. I would just make excuses for my pinky not being good and everything. Then two months ago I started getting lessons and my guitar teacher made me do excersises for it. He gave me this one he said was by Van Halen. I don't know how to do tab but I'll try.

e--------7p4p0-----

It's pretty much like that but use your pinky for the C# and index for the Bb. What you do though, is don't use your pick, just hammer on the the pinky. It gets it really strong. Then once you get enough strength you should be able to be very fluid and hear the note clearly once hammered on. If you do it for long enough you'll get a nice burn going, and once that starts, drop the pattern down a string, and keep going till you reach the low e, and then go back up to where you began at the high e.

I hope I explained that decently. Good luck with your pinky troubles man
"the vioce of experience" says "pinky smashed with hammer works worst than a unsmashed pinky. That's one of those "ask me no questions and I'll tell no lies."
Here's something you can do that helps.

Give yourself 5-10 mins/day, and improvise. The only thing is - you are only allowed to use your index and pinky. It will sound pretty awkward the first couple of times, but you will get the hang of it pretty quickly, and in the meantime you will be waking your pinky up. After a while, it becomes a lot of fun, and for me, it helped me come up with some interesting sounding licks because it forced me out of what I was usually doing when I improvise.

It helped me a lot, and it beats the heck out of the hammer!
Yeah my pinky is about half as good as the rest of my fingers but you can make it work. Probably it hasn't got a callus on it yet, which will help. Also, do you fret with the tip of your pinky or more on the flat side? Don't get into the habit of using the flat side, use the tip just like your other 3 fingers. When you're using the tip, and you've got a callus, it'll be much easier.

But ways to practice:

Try playing simple things with only your pinky, the same kind of things you played when you started. eg. do smoke on the water on 1 string with it if you can stand playing that riff for long

-on the high e string, do 1-4, 2-4, and 3-4 fretted patterns, do it slowly. then move it to the next string and the next as you get better
-do chords that use it
-try some pull-offs with it (not finger-raises, pull off sideways)
-when you don't have a guitar, get some lacky bands and tie them around and try to stretch outwards with your pinky
-push your pinky against a finger on your other hand, sort of like arm wrestles. or not.
-try doing non-guitar things with your pinky, opening the fridge, picking up light stuff...

You'll get it over time, if you're pinky isn't working properly like probably 50% of people then it just takes some exercise. lol i think i get how frustrated you are right now, and probably this won't be the last thread?