Okay so i'm kinda confused about minor keys... Like i figured out all the notes in Em, but realized i was just playing in Gmaj...
Did i figure it out wrong or something? Because why do minor keys exist if they are the same as a major key?
-|-\/\/()/\/_V/\/\()|_|(
=============)
They have a different tonal centre, so the intervals from the tonic are different. There are only 12 possible notes, so some scales are going to use the same notes. But they are no more the same that dog is the same as god just because they use the same letters.
they are completely different from major. They just happen to have the same key signature.
The 'key' it is in refers to what notes it really evolves around.
If you are playing notes that revolve around A (no sharps or flats) C Major has nothing to do with it.
emin and gmaj have the same notes in their scales, but the 1357 of gmaj is g, b, d, and f#; but the 1357 of e min is e, g, b, and d. Thats the difference. Making the generalization that they have the same notes in their related scales would be a follish mistake because a root is different from a 3rd when you solo. The root, 3rd, fifth, and seventh all have different vibes against the chord they are being played on top of.
Last edited by Nike-Man at Jul 8, 2009,
But like, if i'm just talking the scales, are they the same? Cus i tried playing all the scales in em and it was just the diffrent scales of gmaj
-|-\/\/()/\/_V/\/\()|_|(
=============)
Whichever key your playing in will be the note/chord that the peice wants to resolve (end) to
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Quote by anonymous564
But like, if i'm just talking the scales, are they the same? Cus i tried playing all the scales in em and it was just the diffrent scales of gmaj

the notes are the same, but don't think of it that way.
But i play metal, so usually the rhythm guitar is just power chords, are there different power chords for minor and major keys?
-|-\/\/()/\/_V/\/\()|_|(
=============)
the difference is in the root note. they use the same notes, but they resolve differently.

example, try playing that over a basic Em Am Bm type progression (doesn't really matter about the order, but make it so that the Em sounds like "home"

now, try it over a G C D type progression (same thing, just make G "home"

see, it's completely different in different contexts, of course you don't really need any harmony to sound major or minor, if you just improvise so that E sounds like the main note, then it'll sound like E minor, it's just easier to demonstrate with chords.

The reason there's a difference is because of the intervals.

if you look at the major scale as 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 (using G as an example, G will be the 1, A will be 2, etc)

then the relative minor scale is 1 2 b3 4 5 b6 b7 (same thing, but with E as 1)

edit: ^ no, powerchords are neither major or minor by themselves. you need a 3rd for it to be major or minor (or diminished or augmented) since a powerchord is just a 1 and a 5 they are neither, which is why they sound so solid.

of course, the powerchords you use will tell if the whole riff is major or minor, just from the intervals between them. like if you had a riff using E5 G5 D5 and B5 it would probably be in Em
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Jul 8, 2009,