Hi

Basically, I've learned a lot of minor pentatonics, but no major ones (i didn't know they existed, not played long).

I know a major chord is so because of it's major third (raised a semitone from the minor chord, I think? Correct if wrong pweeze), so does this theory apply to the difference between minor and major pentatonic scales?

Thanks.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
Major pentatonic is the same as a minor, just starting on the second note.

A, C, D, E, G, A (minor Pentatonic)
C, D, E, G, A, C (Major Pentatonic)

And yes, the third is different (is the sixth). It would be easier to explain this using a Major scale

C Major:
C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C

C minor:
C, D, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb, C

A minor scale is a major with a flattened: 3rd, 6th, and 7th.

C major triad: C, E, G
C minor triad: C, Eb, G
The difference in chords is just the third.
Last edited by mdwallin at Jul 8, 2009,
Are there such things as a dorian, phrygian, etc., pentatonic scales? IIRC, pentatonic scales remove the 2nd and 7th degrees of a scale, like as with A Aeolin (A minor), and C Ionian (C maj), so I've been just wondering.
To really understand how pentatonics work your best bet is to work on understanding the major scale first - the major pent is just 5 notes of the major scale, the minor scale can be derived from the major scale and the minor pent is just 5 notes of the minor scale. Understand the major scale and you can use that to understand pretty much any other scale or chord you'll use.
Quote by mdwallin
Major pentatonic is the same as a minor, just starting on the second note.
A, C, D, E, G, A (minor Pentatonic)
C, D, E, G, A, C (Major Pentatonic)

That's not the correct way to explain it at all, you'll just confuse matters.

TS, the minor pentatonic scale is the natural minor scale missing out the 2nd and the 6th, the major pentatonic scale is the major scale missing out the 4th and the 7th.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 8, 2009,
Everything is derived from the major scale.

A C major scale is C D E F G A B C

So a C major pentatonic would be C D E G A

Root, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th.

A natural minor is derived from the C major scale. All minor scales correspond to a major scales 6th.

However, A major scale would be A B C# D E F# G# A.

So, an A major Pentatonic would be A B C# E F#.

Major pentatonics are derived from the major scale, minor pentatonics from the minor scale. It's just convenienc ethat the 6th degree of a mjor scale happens to form the natural minor scale of said 6th degree.

WWHWWWH lets you calculate any major scale.

WHWWWHW lets you calculate any minor scale.

Hope this helps, and someone correct me if i got something wrong.
Quote by gt4068
Everything is derived from the major scale.

A C major scale is C D E F G A B C

So a C major pentatonic would be C D E G A

Root, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th.

A natural minor is derived from the C major scale. All minor scales correspond to a major scales 6th.
Which makes A minor pentatonic A C D E G - so if you can play A minor pentatonic, C major pentatonic uses the same notes, but you'd resolve to the new tonic (C), which means most of your normal minor pent licks wouldn't work unless you modify them to the new tonic.
Right, what separate's A minor from C Major is how you resolve the lick. If it resolves on the A, it is minor, if it resolves to the C, it's major.
why are you guys comparing A minor and C major when you should be comparing A minor and A major? A minor has nothing to do with C major except that they encompass the same notes.

minor pentatonic is 1 b3 4 5 b7
major pentatonc is 1 2 3 5 6

For A minor, this is A C D E G
For A major, this would be A B C# E F#

As you can see, the intervals with respect to the root are very different.

First consider the root, then find the pentatonic scale degrees based on that root. Don't listen to these fools that say "start on the second note of the relative minor." That will only trick you into treating those same note intervals as if you were playing in a minor scale, thus hindering your development, even if you can get the notes faster. You might play faster, but you won't think 'major' as you should be.
Last edited by ShoeFactory at Jul 8, 2009,
so to form the E major pentatonic for instance, I'd play the tonic, the second, third, fifth and sixth of the E Major scale?

And this is the same for all major pentatonic scales?

Thanks for your help as well guys
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Quote by MacMan2001
so to form the E major pentatonic for instance, I'd play the tonic, the second, third, fifth and sixth of the E Major scale?

And this is the same for all major pentatonic scales?

Thanks for your help as well guys
You got it right
Wicked, thanks everybody
Quote by necrosis1193

Quote by frusciante.ve

I gotta thank y'all in this thread, the light went off upstairs alas on forming chords from the scales and identifying them on the neck. Gracias!
Takamine EG341SC
Godin Freeway Classic -> Boss TU-2 -> Fulltone OCD -> MXR M173 -> Boss RC-20XL -> Traynor YCV50 Blue