I've been playing for a couple years and decided to get my first true tube amp. Since I just play around in my bedroom I went for a little 5w combo and ended up with a Peavey ValveKing Royal 8. I love it and the best part is the store knocked 50 off the original price because they had gotten it at a guitar show at a discount or something and after trading in my old amp and a couple pedals I never used anyway I ended up paying $27.06 Next trick is to upgrade my Squier Strat asap, hopefully within the next two or three months

HNAD! What can you get metal tones using a distortion/OD?
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
I bet taht kranks teh br00t4lz.
Gear:
Fender American Strat
Washburn Idol
Pitchblack > Cst OD > M5 > Flashback Tripple Delay > SIZE=1]Whirly Verb
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
Marshall 1960AV
Dude! What's up with your toneZ? Clearly it should be at 5 o'clock, ie the most +toanz but your isn't even halfway! +tone = more tone amirite?

>.>

HNAd
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Quote by splamron
HNAD! What can you get metal tones using a distortion/OD?

Sorry, I don't play the br00talz at all so I haven't even tried to see quite what I can crank out of it. Also with the other half of my set-up equation being my Squier Strat I highly doubt I'll be able to get anything metal until I upgrade the guitar and maybe through a distortion/OD pedal which I currently do not posses (I had an MT-2 I traded in to help lower the price of this because I didn't like the sounds I could get out of it) I'm actually looking to get a new distortion/OD, not sure which if anyone has any suggestions?
I don't think you can go wrong for $27 bucks and pedal you don't like.
The Danelectro transparent od is nice for the cheapzorz. Or a bad monkey. Try em.

HNAD
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
HNAD!!!

That thing looks pretty sweet!

As for ODs, try a Bad Monkey, and if you have a bit more money go for an OCD or a TS9

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by gregs1020
I don't think you can go wrong for $27 bucks and pedal you don't like.

it's a nice amp, especially for $27! Congrats on the new amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Kickass, man! That thing is a classic rock and blues beast. I expect sound clips...

!
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
happy NAD dude

Hope u like it
and u really should try cranking up teh br00t4lz on it
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Quote by jc349
HNAD!!!

That thing looks pretty sweet!

As for ODs, try a Bad Monkey, and if you have a bit more money go for an OCD or a TS9

This. Bad Monkeys are great overdrives for the VK series. In fact, that's the only reason I owned mine.

Check out the classifieds here or the pawn shops/used gear places in your area for even cheaper Bad Monkey buys.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
This. Bad Monkeys are great overdrives for the VK series. In fact, that's the only reason I owned mine.

Gotta remember guys that this ISN'T the VK series, really. It goes to Oasis if you're lucky on its own. I think you're going to need a distortion pedal or at least a high gain O.D to get Hard Rock out of it. The Fulltone OCD is a nice option.
^ agreed- it's not high gain at all.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ agreed- it's not high gain at all.

Except I didn't use my VK for high gain either...
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
that's not really the point, though. he said he was going to play metal on it, and if that's the case, a low-gain overdrive isn't going to turn the royal 8 into a metal machine. EDIT: disregard that, i completely misread what was going on, it was someone else asking about metal.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jul 9, 2009,