Are there any bands from the 80's early 90's Hair Metal/Glam Metal days that still play but do not have an outdated sound or an outdated look about them, if so can you please name a few and give links to their sites (if they have one)? Be gentle if this question doesn't make sense, I have been up for 48 hrs straight now (cant sleep).
Last edited by BigDC at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by HeavyMetal69
What´s an outdated sound?

I would say an outdated sound would be something like early Motley Crue, Mr Big, Posion, Bon Jovi, Ratt, Scorpions, Cinderella, Skid Row, Kiss, Tesla, anything from about 1982 to about 1988 sounds outdated from bands like this. At least it does to me. Mind you though, there is NOTHING WRONG with it and I DO LIKE IT, it just sounds a bit outdated to me, that's all.

I want to know if any of these type of bands have put out any new music since say about 1998 to the present?
Last edited by BigDC at Jul 8, 2009,
^^ It only sounds outdated because of the production.

A lot of the musical stuff those bands used (chord progressions, composition approach etc.), is still present in music of today.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Outdated production quality...that´s different. I think a lot of the more popular music today is utter crap, musically. Guitar players that like to play scales back and forth and a bunch of clone singers that sound like whiny spoiled adolescents...even and especially heavy band´s.
Motley Crue just released a new CD, Def Leppard just released a new CD. They both suck in my opinion, but they did it.
Dokken is about to release a CD.
The problem, imo, is that these guys are old now and too scared to put out good stuff like the older days...or they´ve just been out of the game for too long.
Guns n Roses....Sounds completely different...you probably knew about a certain high profile album they've recently released..

I dunno, most old bands are still releasing albums but like HeavyMetal69 said, it's similar stuff. Although Motley Crue sounded good on Saints and Dokken sounded good on Lightning Strikes Again (Should check them out). I can't really think of older bands with an "In Date* sound. Ozzy's last album had a heavier sound than his other albums with Zakk Wylde. To be honest I don't think I'd want them to be like bands today. Most modern metal is terrible.
I want to clarify:

When I said "they both suck" I was talking about the new albums (Def Leppard with an alternative raw type sound...please), the bands are some of my favorites.
The lack of rich delay and reverb in today's albums disheartens me to no end.

It's like bands either declared themselves to have 'matured' from such a sound, or they're too scared to go back to it for fear of being labelled as "outdated". *sigh*
Last edited by DaFjory at Jul 13, 2009,
It's strange today... some of the old bands from the 80's change their sound completely and it sucks ... I'm thinking, "that doesn't suit their style at all". It's almost like they're trying so hard to fit in with the new era and sound out there today. It just doesn't work. I always think, "why don't they just produce the same old hard good **** from the 80's ... the youth today might pick up on it and go with it, you never know"

I would love to hear solos again, wouldn't you?
The hair metal scene is obviously picking up. The nostalgia tours are making more money than the rest and the chicks dig it! Im just waiting for bands like Dirty Penny and Excessive to blow up
not sure i understand the question or its purpose...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.
Quote by DaFjory
The lack of rich delay and reverb in today's albums disheartens me to no end.

It's like bands either declared themselves to have 'matured' from such a sound, or they're too scared to go back to it for fear of being labelled as "outdated". *sigh*

screw that. i thought that was the only way to rock. my tone isn't complete without some SWEET delay...
"... and on either side of the river was the tree of life, with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of this tree were for the healing of nations.