So yeah, like the thread name states, when to use Economy picking and when Alternative? Or is it ones personal preferences? Because personally, economy picking is much more comfortable for me when for example going up and down a scale, then alternative picking.
well thats exactly how ur meant to use it i believe..
when going from string to string use economy....if just riffing on a single string use alternate
its using 2 strings...use a combination of both.
whatever feels comfy
Quote by AEROTROOPER159
really??? scale practice=econ picking.?
huh. i always used alter.
oh well.*shrugs*

Well i tried thinking about this logically and it makes sense. For example, i pluck the low E string three times and then move on to the A string. Now if i used Alternative picking, it would be down up down on the E string and then I'd have to start with an up stroke on the A string, which looks to me as a waste of time, when you could just down stroke WHEN going down. But still want opinions.
i think alternate keeps the the playing more steady and it keeps a good groove going, thats why i use it
whatever you feel like, I generally apply that to most things, like bending up or down, sideways or up and down vibrato, anchoring (thats complicated though lol). If you're playing an AC/DC style solo where it's all based around the rhythm, alternate picking makes more sense. If you're playing Ritchie Blackmore style, use whatever feels right. If you're shredding, well then probably you'll need a lot of economy picking. Ritchie Blackmore and Angus Young sort of represent 2 main kinds of rock solos I guess.

As for going up and down a scale, economy picking is more comfortable but how many bpm can you do alternate? Try to get that up as well just coz you can. When you actually play the song though use whatever way you need.

simple answer = learn both
Also sometimes a downpick has a different tone to an uppick so if you're riffing it might be useful to vary it based on the tone, or if you're doing a slower solo. But if you're just trying to rip up that fretboard you're not gonna have time to get the perfect tone for every note.
when there are odd numbers of notes per string use economy, even number of note per-string patterns use alternate picking. If you find econ more comfortable that is. Or you can change the position of the notes you play to make them odd number of notes per string runs.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
If you don't have a problem or don't think it affects your playing just stay as you are or learn both.

The one problem is you might not find it useful to try a strict alternate picking if you are already very comfortable in economy because the movements are so different,it will definitely feel weird(and vice-versa).

Bottom line is you can only compare them in accordance to your own skills with them.
I'd say try to do alternate usually but with things that are played like 1 note per string for 3 or more strings (example: )

D:--------------3--------3----
A:-----------2---------2---
E:--------1---------1---

and things like that on economy, and then maybe some that are hard on alternate but yeah, learn both.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
I just Google "Elephant penis", and was strangely aroused.

Apparently, I'm a good shitter

Quote by TomusAM
jonne.i just took the best dump I ever seen
I do what you do most of the time (eco pick), but I have really been practicing strict alt picking the last few years and it is great. You do get a different feel from a lick playing it both ways.

Best thing to do is learn both ways to pick, then you can't go wrong...unless you anchor
Sweep Picking for 1 note per string (if its an arpeggio pattern)
Alternate Pick for 2
Economy Pick for 3
Alternate Pick for 4
Quote by SneezeWax
Sweep Picking for 1 note per string (if its an arpeggio pattern)
Alternate Pick for 2
Economy Pick for 3
Alternate Pick for 4

+1

This is the most effective way for me to pick...as of now anyways.
Quote by Will Swanson
I economy pick when ascending, and alternate pick when descending.

! I do the opposite
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Only use economy when you have mastered both. If you start with economy you will suck and be sloppy. After you master both, you can use economy on 3nps and 5nps licks. But don't use economy if it feels that much more confortable, because chances are its sloppy, and you'll suck at string changes.
Last edited by pantera456 at Jul 8, 2009,
I like eco picking for short, burst-y kind of licks...and alternate picking for anything lengthy or where being tight rhythmically is important.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed