Hello, I've recently decided to buy an electric guitar ( been playing acoustic ). So anyway, at first i was thinking about buying an Ibanez rg350dx but at the store i tried out an Epiphone Les Paul Standard out of curiosity, and i fell in love with it instantly.

Ok so now to the amp part. At first i tought that 10-20 watts is too little. I tought i will barely hear anything, so decided a 35 watt amp should be good for me. Then at the shop, the shopkeeper cranked that amp up and damn, it was wayyy too loud. I certainly did not need such an amp yet. So to the point. I was thinking about a Laney Lx35R at first, but since it's too loud, i decided to go for a Laney Lx20R - 20 watt amp. So now to the question. I can't go and try out the 20 watt amp because currently they're sold out and they're going to get some in a week or two, which is fine for me. So I'm a "noob" at electronics and stuff, so do watts only determine the volume of the sound, or does it also determine the quality to some extent?? Yes i know this is an extremely stupid question, bash me if you want, but while bashing answer the question and I'll be ok

EDIT: Well i didn't know i needed to post a budget, since the two choices are listed. Anyway budget is ~150$ tho i could push it to 200 bucks if i decided to go with the 35 watt one. For the playing, I'd like to play Metal, Rock, Jazz, Blues.
Last edited by Shinami at Jul 8, 2009,
Axe Fx.

On a serious note, it will depend entirely on what you intend to use it for and what sort of music you want to play.
Watts is an electrical power term that only partly applies to sound. Also, be aware that the rating of an amp is defined at a given level of distortion, not its full power. It is also true that many 30w valve amps sound louder than some 50w valve amps. That's because of speaker efficiency. Then there is the kind of diminishing scale that says a 100w amp is not twice as loud as a 50w amp. As a rough guide, think of it as about 10% louder. Similarly the 20w you are considering will be only 10-15% less than the 35w. Confusing, isn't it. Quite a few people gig with a Blackstar HT-5, A whole 5 watts of pure power. I'd say, try that 20w before you commit to it.

Just saw your edit. So we are talking SS here. Yes 20w SS should do the trick, SS being effectively about half as loud as a similar rated valve amp. Also compare with the classic Roland Cube 30 and Peavey Vypyr 30. One of the good things about SS amps is they usually sound as good at low volumes as at higher levels.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by Lurcher
Watts is an electrical power term that only partly applies to sound. Also, be aware that the rating of an amp is defined at a given level of distortion, not its full power. It is also true that many 30w valve amps sound louder than some 50w valve amps. That's because of speaker efficiency. Then there is the kind of diminishing scale that says a 100w amp is not twice as loud as a 50w amp. As a rough guide, think of it as about 10% louder. Similarly the 20w you are considering will be only 10-15% less than the 35w. Confusing, isn't it. Quite a few people gig with a Blackstar HT-5, A whole 5 watts of pure power. I'd say, try that 20w before you commit to it.

Well i don't know how powerful regarding watts did it sound, but let me just tell you how i felt ( also the shopkeeper said he didn't even turn up the volume to max ). Anyway, when he started playing some metal riff, i just felt how my chest was, well shaking from the sound. Well maybe not literally shaking, but that kind of feeling.
^^ lurcher said it just right

More watts /= better amp

more watts= louder volume

also keep in mind tube amps are louder than solid state amps of the same wattage.

I suggest if you are playing in your bedroom that you try out a Vox Valvetronix VT 15. I tried a VT 30 myself in my local store and really like it. It's a hybrid amp, meaning it's somewhat tube-powered. You will get some warm 'tube' sound out of it.
Fender 1996 Floyd Rose Standard Stratocaster
Epiphone SG G-400

Laney TT50-112

Ibanez Weeping Demon
Marshall RG-1 Regenerator
Electro-Harmonix/Sovtek (Black) Big Muff Pi

Visit my site for some FREE RE-AMPING! http://www.wix.com/reamps/reamp
Yeah, I remember the first time I used my 120w valve head and big cab. I just touched the strings to make sure it was on okay and a lamp fell off the far wall of the venue.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Watts do not equal quality per sé. They are merely an indicator of the power your amp has.
With some manufacturers it does matter. A good example of this is the Peavey Vypyr. The 30 Watts version has a lot less options and a lower sound quality than the one wunning 60 Watts. The difference in tube amps is usually the quality and range of the EQ and the amount of channels
The peavey bandit 112 is a good one. its around 80w-100w but is great for the kinda music you want to play, at around well here i can get one for £80 so thats....$160?
you can get a Roland Cube 15x or even better a 30w version. They are decent practise amps specially if you like metal because the distortion it can make is more than enouph. Both the 15 w and 30 w are more than loud enouph for bedroom practise (when i used my Roland 15x i never went past 1/4 of the dial and it was a decent volume). Now i moved on to tubes and i got a Laney LC-15 R , amazing tone! Just need a decent pedal to push it and its perfect.
There are two issues here.
The first one is headroom. Solid state powered amps (like the Laney Lx you're looking at) sound better when the volume is low. When solid state amps are turned up, they clip and sound bad. So in some sense, you do have an improvement in sound quality when you buy an amp with more headroom and keep it at a low volume.
The opposite is true for tube amps. You DO want to crank them up: they sound good when turned up to full because the tubes create a really "musical" distortion. So small tube amps that are easily cranked are very popular.

I don't think the Laney you're looking at is that great anyways. For the genres you play, a Vox Valvetronix would be an awesome amp for the price. It's versatile and sounds good. Save up a little more and you might be able to afford a full tube amp. But the Vox VT15 or VT30 would be a great choice either way.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20