Ok, so maybe not scared. I'm taking my annual church youth trip to an amusement park then attending Kingsfest. I'm sooo looking foreward to the concerts (Switchfoot, Skillet, Hawk Nelson), but I really don't like roller coasters.

I've ridden them once or twice a year for like 8 years, but I just have no fun on them. My head gets snapped around (my hear is smaller than the head rests it's supposed to fit into), my vision gets grey/ spotty for a second while taking those big fast descents. I really like the loops though.

So, how can I enjoy roller coasters more? I just don't understand the attraction.
I'm not a Bible-thumper anymore. Realized I had a brain in '09.

I like guitars, running, and math.
Drink 2 king size milkshakes and close your eyes, make sure you're in the front seat.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club

Trust me.
Everything.will.be.more.fun.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
Quote by NakedInTheRain
If you're afraid of rollercoasters but still want to go on one, sit up the front. You won't feel the massive pull in your stomach when you speed down a slope as much.

But then...if we crashed I'd be the first to die. I do sit NEAR the front if I can, just not the very front.

Don't go on the rollercoasters. Problem solved.
DeVillains!
Quote by Psalm 150:4
But then...if we crashed I'd be the first to die. I do sit NEAR the front if I can, just not the very front.

Wow, that's really pesimistic...
Quote by theogonia777
and then there's free jazz, which isn't even for musicians.

Quote by Born A Fool
As my old guitar teacher once said: Metal really comes from classical music. The only difference is pinch harmonics, double bass, and lyrics about killing goats.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
just get over yourself and relax a bit. It lasts like a minute.

Yeah, but like waiting in line for 1-2 hours to ride a 1 min ride seems dumb to me.

And as to not riding the rides, yeah right. Everyone would make fun of me Not that it'd bother me, but I can tough it out for 1 day a year.

Yeah, but like waiting in line for 1-2 hours to ride a 1 min ride seems dumb to me.

And as to not riding the rides, yeah right. Everyone would make fun of me Not that it'd bother me, but I can tough it out for 1 day a year.

So for that one minute stop thinking about how you'd die or whatever.

The rides are extremely well maintained. just enjoy yourself for that one minute. It's really not difficult.
I feel the same way and guess what I do. Now, it may seem wild and crazy at first but just listen to me. What I do is, I don't go on any roller coasters.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
So for that one minute stop thinking about how you'd die or whatever.

The rides are extremely well maintained. just enjoy yourself for that one minute. It's really not difficult.
They're built by drunken iron workers and maintained by people that don't even want to work there or be there. And I know for a fact that those are true cause my Dad is an electrician and he's seen roller coasters been built and he says they're completely drunk all of the time and my brother worked at six flags and he said people could give a **** less about working there.
Quote by OnlyIbanez12
They're built by drunken iron workers and maintained by people that don't even want to work there or be there. And I know for a fact that those are true cause my Dad is an electrician and he's seen roller coasters been built and he says they're completely drunk all of the time and my brother worked at six flags and he said people could give a **** less about working there.

Are you for real? I know they have safety inspections they have to pass, but if it's anything like food inspections...well, then I'm weary. The restaurant I work in has a 99%, and let's just say, I wouldn't want to eat some of the food..

Quote by OnlyIbanez12

What's six flags?

Ok in the UK rides are well maintained. There are in-built safety features that go on before each car can be cleared to start.
People bitch about rides shutting down all the time in the UK at amusement parks but they shut down when the tiniest little thing goes wrong, one screw loose or something, and stay closed until someone comes to fix it, that's how high on safety they are.

I don't know about safety in whatever country you are in.

Okay. If you're THAT afraid of rollercoasters, go watch Final Destination 3. It should ease your phobia.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
What's six flags?

Ok in the UK rides are well maintained. There are in-built safety features that go on before each car can be cleared to start.
People bitch about rides shutting down all the time in the UK at amusement parks but they shut down when the tiniest little thing goes wrong, one screw loose or something, and stay closed until someone comes to fix it, that's how high on safety they are.

I don't know about safety in whatever country you are in.

Six flags= popular American amusement park.

edit: I'm in the USA.

Quote by OnlyIbanez12

yep thats how its works.....

when i went to dreamworld they closed one of the rides cause it was ''raining''

i didnt even notice the slightly spitting rain untill they told me

they really are quite carefull
lol-you are going on a church trip but the thing u r most scared of is a roller coaster?
I'd try avoid the priests...
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!

Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
I don't think you can enjoy them more since you don't seem to enjoy them at all. I know you said you like the loops, but what I mean is that I don't think they're worth all the negative effects they have on you.
"Love is the only thing that we can carry with us when we go, and it makes the end so easy." -Louisa May Alcott
Be happy you aren't going to this place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.

....if you crashed into a solid wall that suddenly materialized on the track. Generally it's middle or rear cars that leave the rails first (this is true of actual trains as well).

Besides all that, you're not going to crash anyway.
Remember this. Remember the summer. Whatever you do. Don't forget.
Ok, so maybe not scared. I'm taking my annual church youth trip to an amusement park then attending Kingsfest. I'm sooo looking foreward to the concerts (Switchfoot, Skillet, Hawk Nelson), but I really don't like roller coasters.

I've ridden them once or twice a year for like 8 years, but I just have no fun on them. My head gets snapped around (my hear is smaller than the head rests it's supposed to fit into), my vision gets grey/ spotty for a second while taking those big fast descents. I really like the loops though.

So, how can I enjoy roller coasters more? I just don't understand the attraction.

Woah, I'm going to kingsfest too! Anyway, I would embrace that. If you black out, I'm sure you'll be rescued. But that's sort of the point of coasters, to make it seem like you're going to die, but keep you safe. Hope to see you there. If All Your $hit isnt being sarcastic, I agree.
"We were one among the fence"
Quote by diofan88
You have no idea how many mornings my dad has woken up to me in my underroos rocking out in the morning...on a mission...A MISSION TO ROOOOCCCCKKKKK!!!!!
Last edited by Insanitydenied at Jul 8, 2009,
Ask God to help you.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Nexium
Be happy you aren't going to this place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

A stick that was supposed to control speed led, in practice, to just two options on the infrequently maintained vehicles: extremely slow, and a speed described by one former employee as "death awaits."

HAHA!!!!!!!

god that would be the worst place to spend your weekend...

EDIT:
* Super Go Karts: The karts were meant to be driven around a small loop track at a speed of about 20 mph (32 km/h) set by the governor devices on them. But park employees knew how to circumvent the governors by wedging tennis balls into them, and were known to do so for parkgoers. As a result, an otherwise standard small-engine car ride became a chance to play bumper cars at 50 mph (80 km/h), and many injuries resulted from head-on collisions.[12] Also, the engines were poorly maintained, and some riders were overcome by gasoline fumes as they drove.[12]

JESUS!

that place was so unsafe!
Last edited by geetar_man0 at Jul 8, 2009,
Theres nothing to fear about Rollercoasters. I'm a Rollercoaster Enthusiast, and trust me, you've more chance of dying while walking to the ride, than on it. They're incredibly safe, and have many precautions, such as Block Brake sections to stop any colisions happening. All rides have to pass a safety check before the season starts. This includes checking every single bolt on the track and supports. Furthermore from this. Each ride will test around 7-10 times before it opens to the public to check all the systems are running.

If you simply don't find them enjoyable, then don't go on them. But if you're worried for your safety, then you really need to look into the safety of Rollercoasters.
Well, I assume that you're religious so I'm pretty sure that if you die on a rollercoaster, you'll still be allowed to go to heaven. And if you don't, you'll discover it's damned good fun (lucky git, I LOVE rollercoasters but can't afford to go to a park!). Win win!

I think the best way to enjoy rollercoasters is to make yourself laugh whenever you get 'frigthened' or uncomfortable. If that doesn't work, just don't go on the rollercoasters.

P.S The heaven part is just a joke - not a hateful/ironic/spiteful thing.
Matter is void. All is vanity. All is nothing. Nothing exists.

But damn does whisky rule
I was afraid of roller coasters for a long time too.

You just have to suck it up and ride a fun one and then after that you won't be afraid.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
I had the same problem you have (I used to be a HUGE roller coward), but the only way to get rid of your fear is to face it. I rode almost every coaster at the Six Flags near me (Over Georgia) a week ago for a church trip as well. Just relax and have fun dude, the rides wouldn't be there if they were life threatening.
"Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and played a girl bunny?"

"No..." [laughs, then more emphatically] "No."

"Oh, me neither, man, I was just asking."
Quote by The_Casinator

Trust me.
Everything.will.be.more.fun.

hey, meet me round back in 5, we'll talk buisness...
Holy crap, my UG account still exists?

in an inevitable burning roller coaster crash does the order of how the passengers die really effect the overall outcome.
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Rollercoasters are the single most awesome thing since swiss cheese. Just approach it with a positive attitude and you'll love it.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER