Hello everyone.
I would like help in choosing a new amplifier, and because I play with a distortion pedal that helps me get the distortion I want and adjust it, I don't really need the effects I have on my current Roland 20X amplifier. I am thinking of selling it, and I was recommended by some people to try a "tube amp", which as far as I know is an amplifier that gets you a nice, simple clean sound, so I don't have any effects or distortion on the amplifier, so I can use my pedal to get that. I think that might be more suitable for me, and I need help in choosing a tube amplifier that's cheap, but nothing worthless. I don't need it to be anything special, I just want a simple tube amp, so if anyone could link me to something or give me advice that would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
The Epiphone Valve Junior is the most basic tube amp out there. It just has a gain and volume control iirc. It's quite cheap, but I'd recommend getting an EQ pedal with it. Since you're probably not gigging with it, even a Behringer EQ will be fine
What would work best with a DS-1 pedal? A Squier Deluxe Stratocaster, DS-1 pedal and now I need a tube amplifier. I also own a DigiTech Grunge pedal.
Something cheap and basic.
I'll take a look at the Epiphone.

Also, I play mostly 90's alternative, alternative rock and grunge.
thanks guys
Last edited by GrungeRocker29 at Jul 8, 2009,
I'm A Valve Junior fan also. They love pedals.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Tube amps do have distortion, just not tons of amp models like your roland cube. I'd take a look at the blackheart little giant: it's a nice simple tube amp with a great classic rock tone that could be boosted into harder stuff with an overdrive pedal (or maybe your DS-1)
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
The little blackheart little giant is an alternative to the valve Jr. They're similar prices and designed by the same guy (or so I herd) - I'm trying to decide between the two myself right now.
,___,
[O.¬] - WTF?
/)__)
-"--"-
When I checked them out the Little Giant was $100 more because of the eq I guess and it was better until I put an eq pedal on the Vj. The vj killed it after that.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by basilbrush
The Epiphone Valve Junior is the most basic tube amp out there. It just has a gain and volume control iirc.
Nope, just volume.