I'm really surprised there isn't a thread on this.....

Google announced the launch of a new Linux based, netbook targeted operating system.

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/introducing-google-chrome-os.html

Just about every article is asking the same thing: will google topple microsoft?

I think its fairly obvious what googles doing, and its not trying to topple microsoft. The netbook has not found a suitable OS. Windows is way to cluttered (well see about windows 7) Apple failed with the Macbook Air, only leaving linux, which requires too much computer knowledge for the average netbook buyer. In comes google.

your thoughts? I wouldnt buy a netbook before, but now, maybe....
Linux doesn't require too much knowledge of computers. I actually found Ubuntu a fairly simple system to work with.

And this OS is probably going to turn out to be -
1) Vaporware
2) ****
how much advertising will google spam onto my netbook?
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by roosoh13
"Ok folks, our in flight movie will be a series of sex tapes your parents have made"

Quote by coryklok
I'd hit that like Carmel hits the ban button.
Ubuntu is very easy to use... I agree.
I've been a Google fan since they were just G (they couldn't afford the oogle yet), but I can't say that the news excited me at all.
The reason I havent said anything is because
a) netbooks are a waste of money, so why would I care about an os built just for them, and b) because every time google tries to release something to be on par with the rest of the industries standards, they fail.
i hope they cannot see
the limitless potential
building inside of me
to murder everything
i hope they cannot see
i am the great destroyer
Quote by Nietsche
Linux doesn't require too much knowledge of computers. I actually found Ubuntu a fairly simple system to work with.

And this OS is probably going to turn out to be -
1) Vaporware
2) ****

this may be true, but thats not what people think.
You don't need any real knowledge of computing to run Ubuntu. No more than you would on a PC or Mac. Still, if people don't know that, then google has an advantage.
The way the thread title is spelt out, I thought this was about a Google-branded breakfast cereal.

But that should be pretty cool. I doubt it'll be able to compete with Windows and Mac though. They're two giant household names, and so is Google, but for totally different reasons.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
I saw the title, and because you didn't write OS, I thought they were releasing a cereal.

I am disappoint

Jolly Good Edit: ^ He beat me to it.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
I'm another one expecting cereal.

But, I'll stick to my 17" laptop that is capable of running Vista smoothly, so I get web access and an OS that looks really nice and stylish [on a wonderful backlit HD 17" LCD].
I only use it for browsing and small 2d games, so it suits me perfectly.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by GettintheLedout
actually I wrote the title in all caps. dunno why it reverted.
Because if you write in all caps for some reason everything gets put back to lower case apart from the first letter of every word.

And it turns out google aren't going to be using X. They're developing their own windowing system
Quote by dgme92
The way the thread title is spelt out, I thought this was about a Google-branded breakfast cereal.

Me too man, and I was disappointed when it wasn't.
Quote by Dawginator
I saw the title, and because you didn't write OS, I thought they were releasing a cereal.

I am disappoint

Google just keep on evolving.
Someone press B!
Google should stay at search engine.

I think they are pushing it a bit now..
DeVillains!
Quote by idontloveyou
The reason I havent said anything is because
a) netbooks are a waste of money, so why would I care about an os built just for them, and b) because every time google tries to release something to be on par with the rest of the industries standards, they fail.

have you heard of android? google also took over the online map database (mapquest used to be OG).

EDIT: i think this is good for the computer industry. there needs to be new and different operating systems other than just windows and mac being sold on computers. the industry needs to take a page out of the cell phone business where there are a multitude of operating systems for different phones (webOS, windows mobile, iPhone, android, S60, and more). i want to see the likes of google or intel competing in the operating systems market. and i don't want them to be on ****ty little netbooks. netbooks are a waste of money and are only necessary if you want to type papers and search for stuff on the internet which you can just as well do on a laptop except more. i'm sick of looking at computers that have the same two operating systems running on a variety of different computers. actually, they aren't even a variety since HP, toshiba, dell, and sony all make the same laptops out of the same chipsets and architecture. there's no driving force behind these companies that makes me want to think "i want to get a [insert brand name]!"
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by dgme92

Same here
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
No, of course not.
I take my frustration out on my children.
HADOUKEN!
its all marketing. like the way they have pop up adds in youtube videos.
because you wont be able to use office or firefox or MSN messenger, you be forced to use google's web 2.0 alternates (google docs etc.)
hence... more money for google

EDIT:
We hear a lot from our users and their message is clear — computers need to get better. People want to get to their email instantly, without wasting time waiting for their computers to boot and browsers to start up. They want their computers to always run as fast as when they first bought them. They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files. Even more importantly, they don't want to spend hours configuring their computers to work with every new piece of hardware, or have to worry about constant software updates. And any time our users have a better computing experience, Google benefits as well by having happier users who are more likely to spend time on the Internet.
Quote by neopowell
That would be amazing. "I WILL BURN EVERYTHING!" *Garrigan appears with bucket* "Fuck this for a giggle, I'm outta here..."

Blog?
follow me
Last edited by GArrigan at Jul 8, 2009,