I'm looking for a tube head. I play sludge, doom, heavy metal, but also play clean quite a bit.
I'm debating between a (1963-64) Traynor YBA-1 or a 80's Laney AOR Pro Tube 50 (6 knob version).

Any recommendations. I'm torn
I am about to go try the traynor in a couple days but I wont be able to try the laney. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hagstrom Swede Reissue>Boss TU2>TEESE RMC WAH>EHX Big Muff>Pro Co Turbo Rat>EHX Poly Chorus>Boss GE7>Boss DD7>Boss RC2>Boss NS2
Last edited by tommyhc at Jul 8, 2009,
Think of the AOR as a JCM800 copy and the YBA-1 as a Fender Bassman copy. Personally I would buy both and run the Laney for dirt and Traynor for cleans (budget permitting of course). But if I had to choose one I would probably go with the Laney. Unless you want to rely entirely on pedals for distortion, then go with the YBA, great platforming amp.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Thank you for the reply.
You make a very good point about the distortion.
Thinking...
Go with the Laney. I've got one, and it gets pretty up there in gain, which it sounds like you need. It actually has too much gain for me, so I always plugged into the low input and boosted that. It's a great amp, and usually pretty cheap. Go for it.
dude, the yba-1 will have way more than enough gain if you boost it. the laney obviously has more gain and saturation but the yba-1 will have more punch and balls, which would be better for your style. and i would also guess you like a smooth dark tone, which the yba-1 will do better than the aor 50. both awesome amps but i would take the yba-1. espeicially because the cleans on the yba-1 rape the cleans on the aor 50.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Thanks for all the replies so far guys.
pmeg568c I was thinkign the same thing. I head the YBA-1 is distorts at higher volumes.
By boosting did you mean using both channels at once? or like an overdrive?

And your right about the smooth dark tone.
I was also assuming the yba-1's cleans are better and that is very important for me to have great clean tone.

You guys have given me much to think about
I'm mostly torn since I wouldn't be able to test out the laney AOR

Thanks again
you could jump the channels or buy and overdrive pedal. you seem to have a lot of pedals, you could probably get rid of some of those and buy a nice OD.

if you want an idea of what the yba-1 sounds like, the clips in my profile are using an ampeg b25, which is very very similar to that amp. and it can get way more gainy.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
sorry but i beg to differ. it may not be voiced for metal but it sounds metal as ****. Power tube distortion can be used for metal as long as you aren't a sloppy player and play the guitar very hard. Also, it has enough gain if you cranked it but its way to loud. he already has a bunch of pedals so a boost/OD is something he could easily get. and its DOOM metal. not trebly fizzy metal tone.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
sorry but i beg to differ. it may not be voiced for metal but it sounds metal as ****. Power tube distortion can be used for metal as long as you aren't a sloppy player and play the guitar very hard. Also, it has enough gain if you cranked it but its way to loud. he already has a bunch of pedals so a boost/OD is something he could easily get. and its DOOM metal. not trebly fizzy metal tone.

I know what doom metal is. I just don't think the YBA is right for it.

And I was saying, if you're adding a pedal onto an amp...It's because the amp doesn't ahve enough gain on its own. So your statement that "it has enough gain" was a bit stupid if you're telling him he needs to boost it to have enough gain.

Quote by pmeg568c
Also, it has enough gain if you cranked it but its way to loud.
Power tube distortion =/= gain.
well then it comes down to personal preference. my other guitar played a pro tube 100 for 6 months. i loved it, but if the traynor yba-1 is anything like the ampeg b25, which i have read it is, i would take the traynor over the laney any day.

and quit nitpicking. i get it. it doesnt have enough gain on its own. that doesn't matter. he never said anything about not being able to buy an OD.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
and quit nitpicking. i get it. it doesnt have enough gain on its own. that doesn't matter. he never said anything about not being able to buy an OD.

It's just that you said a statement that was misleading. So I wanted to make sure he got the right idea. I never said buying an OD or boosting is a bad idea.

Quote by pmeg568c
well then it comes down to personal preference. my other guitar played a pro tube 100 for 6 months. i loved it, but if the traynor yba-1 is anything like the ampeg b25, which i have read it is, i would take the traynor over the laney any day.

The Traynor is like a Fender Bassman or a Marshall JTM45. So if the Ampeg is like that, then yeah.

I love Traynors, don't get me wrong. They sound great. I use one of the newer ones.
yes like, heard with my own ears.
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by forsaknazrael

Power tube distortion =/= gain.

I'll be the guy that says that's not really correct. Gain is just the ability to amplify a signal, the level of amplification determines the amount of distortion. Turning up your volume control increases gain, as does turning up your preamp volume. Gain isn't distortion, but it causes distortion, you can't really compare the two like that, because distortion=/=gain at all, although they are directly related

I'm gonna leave now, but I'd get the traynor
Quote by pak1351
I'll be the guy that says that's not really correct. Gain is just the ability to amplify a signal, the level of amplification determines the amount of distortion. Turning up your volume control increases gain, as does turning up your preamp volume. Gain isn't distortion, but it causes distortion, you can't really compare the two like that, because distortion=/=gain at all, although they are directly related

I'm gonna leave now, but I'd get the traynor

it's all in context. I know what gain is.

he was saying if you crank it, you get more distortion, although he was calling it gain. People tend to use gain and distortion interchangeably is the problem.

I'm not comparing the two.
This will be my first tube head and I haven't tried very much gear in my days so I like to get perspectives from people.

I'm not opposed to the idea of using OD/or a dirt pedal. I've never had an amp that could do natural distortion properly.. so that was appealing to me. but a great clean channel is also essential. How do you guys find natural distortion over pedal distortion?

I need something fairly versatile. I really want the possibility of having really good distortion and really great cleans.. if possible without buying 2 heads.

I guess im mostly ignorant about the tonal differences between pedal distortion and amp distortion
Last edited by tommyhc at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by tommyhc
I'm not opposed to the idea of using OD/or a dirt pedal. I've enver had an amp that could do natural distortion properly.. so that was appealing to me. but a great clean channel is also essential. How do you guys find natural distortion over pedal distortion?

They each have their places. Some pedals are really quite amp-like. (Catalinbread DLS. )

Is there a reason you're only considering these amps?
Quote by forsaknazrael
it's all in context. I know what gain is.

he was saying if you crank it, you get more distortion, although he was calling it gain. People tend to use gain and distortion interchangeably is the problem.

I'm not comparing the two.

Well, cranking it gives more gain which gives more distortion, but I know what you mean, I've just been reading too much recently.

OP, you can get pedals for distortion, but they don't make pedals for cleans. That's the reasoning I'd follow if you're looking for something that's good at both on a limited budget. Seeing that you've got a muff and a rat, I don't think you'll have too many issues. Since you're going to be trying out the traynor, you'll be able to judge whether it can get heavy enough for what you want, so the whole needs a boost argument doesn't really matter.

Put an ad on your craigslist saying you'd like to try a laney aor, and offer to bring the beer or pizza or something. You'd be surprised how well that works
beer an pizza work for me...
I know im a bit late finding this thread but i have a laney aor pro tube lead 50 for sale, recently retubed, with an optional 4x10 marshall cab. if your still interested give me a shout. or anyone wanna do a swap i'm looking for something with a nice clean channel.
rock on...
pete.nichols@hotmail.co.uk
AOR's are ideal amps for doom metal. Sleep used them, Liz Buckingham from Electric Wizard uses one to this day, IIRC. They're excellent amps.

With the Traynor, you'd have better cleans, but you might have to boost it to get the dirt you want. Really, the deciding factor in this is how important cleans are to you.

EDIT: this is ancient.
Last edited by Led Dirigible at Oct 29, 2009,