My band is a blues/experimental band. Kinda like hendrix, and so far we aren't really going anywhere cuz i can't write bass riffsfor sh*t. I keep blaming my guitarist cuz he's not writing anything until i can. So, i decided to ask the greatest guys i know. Bass forum, i need your help on writing bass lines in different keys. You know, standard bass keys. Mainly just E, G, and A. Thanks guys! I realy need it
Myspace.

Quote by djmay71
it wasn't 7 days, it was 5.

and you call yourself the son of catholics

Quote by hugh20
I would keep it on my mantel piece and tell my grandchildren about the day I tried to overthrow the human race with my race of tree-men.
do you know any scales?
walking bass theory?
emphasizing various parts of the measure?
the 4 notes in a major chord?
minor chord?

because I'll be damned if I'm gonna write your basslines for you, but I'll bet those will be perfectly useful for doing it yourself.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
No i do not. Where could i learn these?
Myspace.

Quote by djmay71
it wasn't 7 days, it was 5.

and you call yourself the son of catholics

Quote by hugh20
I would keep it on my mantel piece and tell my grandchildren about the day I tried to overthrow the human race with my race of tree-men.
Quote by the humanity
do you know any scales?
walking bass theory?
emphasizing various parts of the measure?
the 4 notes in a major chord?
minor chord?

because I'll be damned if I'm gonna write your basslines for you, but I'll bet those will be perfectly useful for doing it yourself.

This is correct. Except, if you wanna get picky, major chords only have 3 notes because they dont have 7ths
google should produce adequate results for most of them. walking basslines can be very confusing though, sooooo...

say a chord progression goes G A E E2, a measure for each chord in 4/4 time.
what you need to do is play the root- always go to the root first when you take a walk-
then you choose notes from the scale of your choice or the chord. the chord is gonna make it tighter sounding, the scale is gonna be more relaxed and loose. a 2:1 ratio favoring the chord is a good cure all for most walking.
walking also needs to move in the right direction, basically. from A to E, you don't want to go to a bunch of high notes, then drop down low to the E, it'll sound weird. you want to actually walk there. your fretboard is a road, and you want to walk to the different places. you can't just jump to some of them you have to take 3 steps to get to every one (after a while, you'll get to start messing around with this number, just keep it for now) and they should get closer, they can wander a bit though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by tubatom868686
This is correct. Except, if you wanna get picky, major chords only have 3 notes because they dont have 7ths

HUH?!!
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
HUH?!!

A major chord is voiced as such

1 3 5

A major chord with 4 notes is most likely in reference to a dominant chord which is voiced

1 3 5 b7
Quote by tubatom868686

1 3 5

A major chord with 4 notes is most likely in reference to a dominant chord which is voiced

1 3 5 b7

indeed, or it could also be in reference to a maj7 chord

Unless humanity was just referring to 1 3 5 and then the octave
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by capslockisnton
indeed, or it could also be in reference to a maj7 chord

Unless humanity was just referring to 1 3 5 and then the octave

If you say, "Play a major chord," you dont add the maj7. But enough derailing the thread, onto blues bass lines!!

To TS. The best way to learn is to listen and transcribe. You know what to do! Go get your bass and your iPod!
Quote by tubatom868686

1 3 5

1 3 5 b7

A major triad is voiced
1 3 5

A major 7 is
1 3 5 7

If you want it to function as a dominant (ii-V-I), then flat the 7
1 3 5 b7
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
A major triad is voiced
1 3 5

A major 7 is
1 3 5 7

If you want it to function as a dominant (ii-V-I), then flat the 7
1 3 5 b7

A major chord is also voiced 1 3 5

I already clarified that 1 3 5 b7 is dom.

I never made any mention of a maj7 chord
Follow the chords and add chord tones to them. Don't give up... it's really hard at first to make a good sounding line, especially under pressure. Try to think in your head what you want and play something similar using chord and scale notes
you guys are annoying. he just needs the triads, you're gonna confuse the living crap out of him.

I, III, V, octave. period. lay off the VII, you geeks. it's blues, as long as he looks constipated on the high notes, he's doing it right.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
you guys are annoying. he just needs the triads, you're gonna confuse the living crap out of him.

I, III, V, octave. period. lay off the VII, you geeks. it's blues, as long as he looks constipated on the high notes, he's doing it right.

Well, then lets all embrace misinformation.

major chords only have 3 notes because they dont have 7ths

Oh, and nothing wrong with the 6th in blues lines.
http://www.studybass.com/lessons/blues-bass/major-6ths-on-the-blues/exercises/
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
Well, then lets all embrace misinformation.

that's not what I'm saying at all. if we flood this guy with too much he isn't gonna be able to do any of it well.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I agree with humanity. It's like the first day you pick up an instrument, if your teacher tells you to go learn scales and leaves, you've got a problem, don't you?

On topic, TS, if you do know scales, use them to write the lines, just follow the scale into the next chord. maybe use thirds, or whatever. It's your line, you can do whatever you want with it. Listening to bass players from the genre for ideas usually helps, but listen to other related genres as well.
Last edited by Halakar at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by the humanity
that's not what I'm saying at all. if we flood this guy with too much he isn't gonna be able to do any of it well.

Agreed.
However, 170 people have viewed this thread so far. Shouldn't they all have the most accurate and complete information?
I play in a blues group. Here is my two cents beyond what I have posted.

At the very least, you need to know the 12 bar and 8 bar blues forms. There are hundreds of sites on this topic. You need to know your blues scale. This will get you a very solid basic blues supporting bass line. Its not rocket science. As long as you don't stray from the scale form (or notes) or the blues format of the song (12 bar or 8 bar) you'll do OK.

Easy peasey.
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
Agreed.
However, 170 people have viewed this thread so far. Shouldn't they all have the most accurate and complete information?

or, 17 people 10 times, trying to see if one of us gets a troll warning.

if you are looking at this, this thread is now disclaimed and is not a know all of blues playing. it is impossible to consider any lesson a know all, because the blues is such a wide topic with such hard to define borders, from Jefferson Airplane to T-Bone Walker.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

--------1-2-3-------
---1-4--------4-3-2

Try starting with something like that, and develop it. For walking lines, start off by making sure that every 1st and 5th note (counting 8 in a bar) is either the root or fifth of the scale you're playing on. (Example - C major - Root = C, 5th = G)

(I apologise in advance for bad description)
USA Fender Precision w/ Badass III + SD 1/4 pounders
MIM Fender Jazz
T21 SansAmp VT Bass
Gallien Krueger MB212
Last edited by Flaming Bass at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by the humanity
or, 17 people 10 times, trying to see if one of us gets a troll warning.

if you are looking at this, this thread is now disclaimed and is not a know all of blues playing. it is impossible to consider any lesson a know all, because the blues is such a wide topic with such hard to define borders, from Jefferson Airplane to T-Bone Walker.

Yes but its all based on the same framework. I'm sorry--you all are trying to complicate up what is one of the easiest music forms know to man in its most basic format. Because its easy it allows countless musicians to improvise and get creative within its boundaries.

And Nick, Jefferson Airplane is not blues. Its psychedelic music that uses blues formats on occasion. Hot Tuna is closer to blues.

And damn--any more stupid ass exchanges and I will start out handing out warnings.
Major chord 1 3 5
Dom chord 1 3 5 b7
Maj7 1 3 5 7.

End of story. Dont know where the argument was in that, but its over now

TS, one thing that always helped me was to try and think of my lines as "moving through" the chords so to speak. Really, the only way to get good at walking is to listen to walking, transcribe walking, and ultimately, walk yourself. If you would like a couple songs to start with, Im sure a few of us would be more than happy to give you our recommendations
Quote by matttehbassist
where does the blues scale fit into all this? fills?

augmented 4ths FTW

It can fit in anywhere. Thats the beauty of it. You can squeeze the blues scale into almost any song and, with a bit of phrasing and style, you can make it sound okay. My recommendation? Experiment and listen
Quote by anarkee

And Nick, Jefferson Airplane is not blues. Its psychedelic music that uses blues formats on occasion. Hot Tuna is closer to blues.

:/

it's played all the time on the blues station round here. so they think it is.

see what I mean about the borders?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
:/

it's played all the time on the blues station round here. so they think it is.

see what I mean about the borders?

Something tells me the DJs in Riverside are a bit too fond of peyote.

Anyway on the blues scale. Yes, the beauty is that with the exception of the use of the blues note as a passing note, all the notes in the scale are going to sound good in context and key. Its pretty simple as I've said and very liberating to start down the path into improv.
TS, I almost forgot to tell you the most important part of blues (and possibly music in general)

Play everything deliberately. Play every note like you mean it, even if its a mistake.
Quote by anarkee
Something tells me the DJs in Riverside are a bit too fond of peyote.

Anyway on the blues scale. Yes, the beauty is that with the exception of the use of the blues note as a passing note, all the notes in the scale are going to sound good in context and key. Its pretty simple as I've said and very liberating to start down the path into improv.

I would think so.

they play Eminem on the rock stations too...
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard