If you stay up all night playing guitar, are you screwed if your parents catch you?

Page 1 of 2
lol i posted this in the 'I stay up all night practicing my guitar' group and then realised that noone uses those groups

My parents are control freaks, or my mum anyway, and I've never been up all night doing anything so if I was now they'd all be suspicious and I'd get reminded of it for months. I can't count how many times I've sat up till I think everyone's asleep and tried to sneak around and get some light without anyone else knowing, but I always end up thinking 'nah it's not worth it.' My problem is that our house is L shaped, and my parents room is in the corner of the L. My room is halfway along one side, and my sister's room is at the end. I can't shut my door coz it doesn't fit the frame, and my bed is in the way so it can't swing all the way over anyway. So any light they'd see, especially if my sister was up to use the toilet which is right opposite my room. The other problem is that my guitar and amp are at the other end of the house, and I can't get to them without going past my parents room. and, there's some stupid nightlight just outside the door, and if I go past that then they'll notice the shadow moving across. If i got caught playing guitar at 3am I can't imagine how screwed I'd be. They are seriously control-freakish way beyond being reasonable (I haven't got a reason yet why I wasn't allowed to have the guitar in my room isn't that a bit much that they tell me where I'm allowed my guitar?). So I can't get to my guitar, and once I do, the room it's in has no doors, and our house is tiny, so they'd hear it straight away, and I don't want to practice real softly coz that'll affect my playing. Anyone else have this problem? ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu hate my mum I think she's OCD
You should be able to play anytime you want for as long as you want.
If it's an electric guitar, I doubt your parents would hear it if you played it un-plugged. So just sneak the guitar into your room before you go to bed.
Quote by K Dizzle
if u can't close ur door, how do u masturbate?

toilet, home alone, fingers crossed noone comes and sit behind the bed constantly checking over my shoulder ready to quickly shove it away. I get plenty
If you can get to the guitar, play unplugged or with headphones, doubt they could hear that right?

Quote by EmilGD
Seriously, you can't have your guitar in your room?

Also, this
Quote by tom1thomas1
toilet, home alone, fingers crossed noone comes and sit behind the bed constantly checking over my shoulder ready to quickly shove it away. I get plenty

dude, that's horrible... i mean, i have to be careful cuz no one in my house knocks and i constantly have friends showing up and walking in, but at least i can usually whack my beanstalk in peace... i feel soo sorry for u
my rents get angry when i crank the 120 watt valve amp to 5 at about 3 in the morning

EDIT: actuall read the first post and you have my sympathy, or you could get a 120 watt valve amp and crank it at about 3 in the morning
Quote by HomerHitter
I got a black Les Paul, and this Texan told me it wasn't as good as other color guitars becuse it was a 'nigger.'

Quote by roosoh13
"Ok folks, our in flight movie will be a series of sex tapes your parents have made"

Quote by coryklok
I'd hit that like Carmel hits the ban button.
Last edited by maximus69er at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman
Seriously who has an L-shaped house?

Ever been to Tetrisland?
ohai little sig.
Thanks for giving me a diagram of your house.........................

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman

i do. and i guarantee it's bigger than your house. we literally just finished building it and im using the pc for the first time in this house, right now. /random
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

Buy a Vox Amplug and rock out with your **** out in your room.

A simple solution to a problem that should have never existed.
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 (selling soon to fund a Mark V)
Quote by NinjaSlayHuman

My Aunt does.

I win!
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Yes I mean that they will hear my electric guitar when it's unplugged. You can hear everything
Just put your guitar in your room. Play it un-plugged or something.

EDIT: Fix your door frame.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
Quote by tom1thomas1
Yes I mean that they will hear my electric guitar when it's unplugged. You can hear everything

Dude.

WTF is wrong with your parents?

Seriously.
Quote by tom1thomas1

Face it, your house sucks.
Quote by El Hilliaro
Just put your guitar in your room. Play it un-plugged or something.

EDIT: Fix your door frame.

A bit much work with cracks all over the wall around it and it's all swolen with moisture and mould, harder with my parents. We're renting, so to fix something, someone points it out, a month later it gets pointed out again, after a few months we call the landlord, he lives 200km away, says he'll fix it next time he's up here, 6 months later he comes up, looks at it, says he'll fix it, 6 months later he's up again, arranges someone to come and fix it (won't let us do it, and my dad aint a handyman), so after about a year and a half it might get fixed, problem is the house was cheaply built so they find out something else is wrong and it's gonna take twice as much work, the landlord cbf all the effort and money. Nothing gets fixed.
Quote by JohnSpiers71
I have a solution:

Play more during the day!

yeah they'll be real happy with me skipping school and not doing any homework and just playing all day
Quote by tom1thomas1
My parents are control freaks, or my mum anyway, and I've never been up all night doing anything so if I was now they'd all be suspicious and I'd get reminded of it for months.

Pssh... Virgin.

This is Larry The If you click him, he will give you magic powers.
srsly.

If you are not willing to die for the perfect s'more, Then you don't deserve a s'more at all.
Just tell your parents it's YOUR guitar so it should be in YOUR room. If they have a problem with that insist they put soem random item from their room they want/need and put that with your guitar. Show them how unfair it is.

Get your dad to fix the door frame, rather than asking the landlord. If the landlord gets pissy, tell him it's his own fault for not fixing it himself.
Well whad'ya know, it's a female on UG. D:

Shine On, Cast A Shadow.

Quote by hugh20
i love me some fundie christian gayboys

Quote by sglover34479
<3 You = smart.

I've played through some nights before, but thankfuly my parents never heard a thing since I played in headphones.
Just practice left hand excercises while muting the strings with your right hand and vice versa.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
1. If you paid for the guitar, tell them you want it in the room, because it's your money.
2. It's SUMMER. As long as you don't disturb them, do whatever the hell you want, and if they tell you no, tell them exactly that - NO DAMN SCHOOL
3. You're a teenager, for **** sake, you need privacy. Make your dad fix the door, or do it yourself. (Or buy a new one. Doors do not cost that much that money is a good excuse for them to use)
4. Buy some headphones. It's always good to have headphones around.
Rubys.
We could change the world if we had the source code.
Why can't you just move your amp into your room?

Or better yet, Play guitar WITHOUT an amp. Or plug in some headphones or something.
DeVillains!
So I can't get to my guitar, and once I do, the room it's in has no doors,

well that generally does make it hard to get to. may i ask how you put the guitar in there in the first place? or where the builders went after making it?
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Quote by boomboosh
What the f**k is you problems?
Yes, I made an account to ask this question. Is it really that weird? No. I wanted some feedback from some proper guitar experts who knew what they were talking about. Sorry, I guess I was wrong.
Quote by tom1thomas1
lol i posted this in the 'I stay up all night practicing my guitar' group and then realised that noone uses those groups

My parents are control freaks, or my mum anyway, and I've never been up all night doing anything so if I was now they'd all be suspicious and I'd get reminded of it for months. I can't count how many times I've sat up till I think everyone's asleep and tried to sneak around and get some light without anyone else knowing, but I always end up thinking 'nah it's not worth it.' My problem is that our house is L shaped, and my parents room is in the corner of the L. My room is halfway along one side, and my sister's room is at the end. I can't shut my door coz it doesn't fit the frame, and my bed is in the way so it can't swing all the way over anyway. So any light they'd see, especially if my sister was up to use the toilet which is right opposite my room. The other problem is that my guitar and amp are at the other end of the house, and I can't get to them without going past my parents room. and, there's some stupid nightlight just outside the door, and if I go past that then they'll notice the shadow moving across. If i got caught playing guitar at 3am I can't imagine how screwed I'd be. They are seriously control-freakish way beyond being reasonable (I haven't got a reason yet why I wasn't allowed to have the guitar in my room isn't that a bit much that they tell me where I'm allowed my guitar?). So I can't get to my guitar, and once I do, the room it's in has no doors, and our house is tiny, so they'd hear it straight away, and I don't want to practice real softly coz that'll affect my playing. Anyone else have this problem? ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu hate my mum I think she's OCD

said by the guy who wants to play guitar at 3 am

i'll give you a better idea, have a good night of sleep and play the whole day, you would actually have better practice time if you sleep well
I would suggest that you give up hopes of ever being able to play the instrument.
Your parents clearly aren't giving you any advantages in life.

Alternatively you could just do it anyway, sit and play guitar until (I assume) you mum comes to tuck you into bed, then say 'NO BITCH, I HAVEN'T FINISHED PLAYING' or something of the like.
Now the first few times I'll guess you father will give you a good hard spanking.
Eventually they will just let you do what you want.
my god your parents are assholes.. seriously... get your mum on msn with meh! ill verbally kick her arse XD
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995