Hi guys!

I narrowed my search to the models below.

Epiphone SG G400
ESP EC-50
Ibanez GRG170DX
Ibanez RG320
Ibanez RGR321

Please advise which is the best for a guy who has never touched a guitar before? Other models can also be considered, but budget is 300 euros/400 USD. I will play mostly Metallica, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple stuff. Thanks in advance for your advices

Cheers!
I´d say you go for the SG because its really versatile and it suits the type of music you are playing.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Quote by Pepefloydean
I´d say you go for the SG because its really versatile and it suits the type of music you are playing.

+1
I'd say the SG.
Have you picked an amp?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the g400
get the custom if yer can afford it
My Gear

Epiphone G400 Custom (Tuned to Standard/Drop D)

Dean DFH Baby (Tuned to Drop C)

Epiphone Special II (Tuned to Drop B/Drop A)

Orange Crush 15

Boss MD-2

Ibanez PH-7
Either of the RG's.

The Ibanez RG series guitars are the easiest guitars i have ever played.

But that's just me, you should go try them all out and see which one feels right to you.
You've actually got my exact progression, there. Well, minus the acoustic I started with.
Epiphone SG (patch jack on the front that keeps coming loose. So, I've stopped using it) to start, then an Ibanez RG7321, now an ESP F-401FM.

Accordingly, the SG IS a pretty excellent starting guitar. Tends to weigh a ton, so you get used to that. Has good tone. Affordable enough that you're not too worried about replacing it entirely a couple of years from now. The only drawback I've found with the SG is that it doesn't have 24 frets. Didn't really affect me, though, since I'm much more fond of rhythm.
I don't like Epiphones or SGs but whatever you like, they are all ok beginner guitars.
It impresses me to see people just starting and already looking for advice at UG, I wish I had this forum to ask stuff when I was starting, would have saved me a lot of bullsht. Good luck!
Quote by bury_em_all
Amp will be Peavey Backstage or Line6 Spider III

Do yourself a favor and get a Peavey Vypyr 15.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
SG deffo :P
My Gear

Epiphone: Les Paul - 1994 - Birdseye.
Tenson: Strat
Samick: Acoustic < On Long Term Lend.
Samick: Amp - 15w
Roland Cube 30 Amp
For a first guitar i would say anything you can afford and feels nice to you do research on quality hardware/parts/woods try to get your $ worth, Buy used.

Quote by bury_em_all
Amp will be Peavey Backstage or Line6 Spider III

NOOOOOooooo!!!
get this sounds great with a pedal and is a cheap way to get into tubes.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-Royal-8-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481661
Last edited by DimeLvR at Jul 8, 2009,
OK guys thanks a lot! My initial choice was the SG, so I`ll get one! Thanks again, have a good one