ATTENTION: THIS POST CONTAINS A MODERATE AMOUNT OF JARGON. READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL.

hey guys, its been a while, i just moved house and we switched isp.
now with my old isp i had very few problems torrenting, but with my new one, utorrent says that the port im using isn't open i.e. it can't get great speeds. i've followed instructions on a site linked from the utorrent page, and the port should be open, but i reckon the isp has shut all the non essential ports as it's a wireless service and they don't want me causing huge contention in the area by torrenting at high speed.

so now i'm about to ring the isp's support line and ask them to open a port, but i don't want to say it's for torrenting as they'll most likely tell me to take a hike.
so... can someone suggest a reason i'd be asking them to open a specific port? pretty please?

note: i will of course only be torrenting non-copyrighted material.
>.>
<.<
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*

Last edited by munkymanmatt at Jul 8, 2009,
Erm...you need it to play/host an online game?

Off topic, if I were a mod I'd take your user title as a challenge
🙈 🙉 🙊
if worse comes to worse... find someone or use a computer at another location that doesn't have the same ISP and then FTP into that one from you home.. ?? I dunno.. I'm to tired to address this..
Quote by boomboosh
What the f**k is you problems?
Yes, I made an account to ask this question. Is it really that weird? No. I wanted some feedback from some proper guitar experts who knew what they were talking about. Sorry, I guess I was wrong.
Say that you are uploading content for an online course or something along the lines of that. Pretty much anything that either involves school and/or work and high bandwidth, they will believe.
Quote by imdeth
You're like internet Jesus!

This signature feels so empty now.
tell them to open the port or you will switch to a different isp. if you are with sky. this will work end of XD theyll do anything to keep a customer
Mah gear :p

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350DX
BC rich NJ neck thru series warlock
customized epi les paul

Amps:
blackstar ht-5 combo
VOX VT-100

Pedals:
bad dog phaser

"Remember your a WOMBLE!!!"
Quote by Morrie2995
dude you just became my hero. Nice
I've never heard of an ISP closing ports before. Hell, I don't think that's possible. Sounds more like the port isn't forwarded to the host pc.
Buy a VPN

Tell them you are developing your own game and require this port to be open
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
Quote by dandadog
I've never heard of an ISP closing ports before. Hell, I don't think that's possible. Sounds more like the port isn't forwarded to the host pc.

It happens alot. Most of the time the ISPs block outgoing mail ports to stop spam e-mails and such.
Sharing is caring
Fuck the RIAA

- Gear -
ESP LTD MH-400
Epiphone Les Paul
Vox AD30VT
Zoom G2.1u
Quote by creelers
This.

That. Say it's for Xbox Live.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

Quote by dandadog

i have opened the port on my router, and the only firewall i'm running has an exception for utorrent. the only explanation is that it's the isp.

my dad has worked in networking for like 10 years, and he said it's possible, however pops is at work atm, otherwise he probably could have come up with something to tell them.

i think i'll go with the gaming one, it's believable...

cheers!
Quote by stringsquealer
dude you have a razorback explosion?!?!
im so jealous

Quote by Kyle.E
Munky has a reason. A reason to live. *applauds*