I'm thinking of getting rid of my guitar's tone knob and putting the volume knob where the tone knob was because the volume knob's current position gets in the way of my playing and I never touch the tone knob anyway.

I kind of have an idea how I'm going to go about it: remove the tone pot leaving it in the cavity with the wires attached and then remove the volume knob and pot. Then stick the volume pot where the tone used to be. Does this sound like a good way to do it? If not, how would you do it?

This will be my first mod so I know close to nothing about guitar wiring (yes I've read the announcement) but I've managed to create a diagram based on what I can see inside my guitar. If i did anything wrong please let me know.

The thin grey lines are bare (grounding I think), the black ones are the hot wires (also unsure) and the grey blobs are soldering points.

I know there's going to be an ugly hole in my guitar but I'm planning to fill it up with a killswitch later on. Anyway, I'm off to bed now so I won't be able to reply 'till tomorrow. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by leephan at Jul 8, 2009,
The wiring in my guitar looks nothing like that. There are only two wires coming from each pickup; one white and the other bare, not five of them. Would I just snip the two wires coming from the tone pot to the volume pot?
Last edited by leephan at Jul 9, 2009,
You realize that the link he sent you to has a little box for single conductor pups one is the bare the other is the lead.
The fact of the matter is it will be easier just to cut the tone pot completly seeing as in your not using it anyways.
Do the diagram that Vampire sugested you can always add the tone knob back into the mix later.

Edit:........... a Killswitch in the hole just get a plastic plug. the plug would get more use.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Last edited by Unherolike at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by Unherolike
You realize that the link he sent you to has a little box for single conductor pups one is the bare the other is the lead.
The fact of the matter is it will be easier just to cut the tone pot completly seeing as in your not using it anyways.
Do the diagram that Vampire sugested you can always add the tone knob back into the mix later.

yes. it will work if you just use a set of pliers or something and cut the two wires going to the tone pot where they meet the volume pot.
the tone will be slightly different without any replacement for the tone knob, however not neccecerily in a bad way. if you don't like the result you can wire up a resistor and the old cap to behave like the original tone knob on your favourite setting.

if you're careful not to damage any of the connections it'll take all of 5 mins. if you do damage anything, or if input jack etc. needs touched up, it's not the end of the world - it just means whpping the soldering iron out.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jul 9, 2009,
This might sound lazy but you could simply take the knob off the tone pot and shove the connected pot inside the cavity and move the volume pot. No wiring involved (unless some wires aren't long enough). And if in the future, you want your tone control back, it just needs mounting again. Also, the sound of a pickup without a tone knob is a bit brighter than through a tone pot, even on 10. So if you're happy with the tone, but it's just the position, do what I suggested.
i did this with my RG. i agree, the volume knob gets in the way with my playing. i removed the tone pot, and replaced it with the volume knob. in the volume knob's position, i put a DPDT On/On switch to act as a killswitch.

you can simply remove the tone pot if you're not using it. Removing the tone knob, adds more prescence and more clarity. i trust my ears and this is what i heard.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC