Page 1 of 6
#1
Okay, you've probably all heard the saying "everyone is equal".
I just dont agree with that.-its rubbish-we are all different.
I mean, is a hobo on the street equal to e.g. great musician/political struggle hero/businessman/ or even you?
If, for instance, someone is brilliant at his/her job, a good parent, and a good asset to the community how can they be considered equal to- say, a rapist lurking in a dark alley.
Of course you could say everyone is equal before God (if u believe) and everyone is equal before the law (although-richer people are more equal-hehe), but other than that everyone is different. Some people are just better at everthing than others.
It just pisses me off whenever I hear the bloody phrase.
How does the pit feel?-discuss.


Also-I believe everyone should be treated equally and I have nothing against hobo's.

Edit: People seem to be Misunderstanding me. I'm saying we are all different- meaning 'not equal'. I'm not saying some people are worse or better than others.

let me use numbers as an example (numbers representing people):

6 and 7 are both numbers( i.e humans)
6 and 7 are both different
6 and 7 are not equal
is one number worse than the other? -No
If someone walked around saying they are both equal wouldnt it irritate you?

(Now I know someones gonna come and say people are not numbers..)

I guess it all comes down to what you understand by the word 'equal'. If you are talking about the basic value of a human life then yes, we are all equal. In every other respect we are not.
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!


Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
Last edited by Jacek.W at Jul 9, 2009,
#2
Everyone is equal.
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
#4
Even with the last sentecne was obviously a last ditch attempt to make people think you're not a prick.

You're a prick anyway.
#5
Everybody has equal rights, but not necessarily equal opportunities.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

#6
Quote by Benjabenja
Everyone is equal, while being different.


Precised.
funkyducky


Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
#7
We are all equal as we are all human, that doesn't mean that people are equal in terms of monetary value, or in terms of how we behave.
#8
I fail to understand what you're getting at, you seem to contradict yourself every other sentence
Of course everyone is equal (race, sexuality and sex)


Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
#12
As beings we're all equal, but as people we're all different. Even though I'm sure it's been mentioned already


S t a i r s s r i a t S

#13
Quote by Versailles_X
Even with the last sentecne was obviously a last ditch attempt to make people think you're not a prick.

You're a prick anyway.

why?
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!


Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
#16
Everyone is equal regardless of their social standing. People have had different lives that led them to their high points and low points, but everyone is still a person despite being stuck in the gutter or being a big political figure
#17
Quote by Jacek.W
Okay, you've probably all heard the saying "everyone is equal".
I just dont agree with that.-its rubbish-we are all different.
I mean, is a hobo on the street equal to e.g. great musician/political struggle hero/businessman/ or even you?
If, for instance, someone is brilliant at his/her job, a good parent, and a good asset to the community how can they be considered equal to- say, a rapist lurking in a dark alley.
Of course you could say everyone is equal before God (if u believe) and everyone is equal before the law (although-richer people are more equal-hehe), but other than that everyone is different. Some people are just better at everthing than others.
It just pisses me off whenever I hear the bloody phrase.
How does the pit feel?-discuss.


Also-I believe everyone should be treated equally and I have nothing against hobo's.

The pit feels that you're an idiot.

Humans are all ontologically equal and possess the same intrinsic value. What you're talking about are social inequalities, which are ideological values that we as a society place on various situations, traits, or items. They are meaningless in legal, philosophical, or religious discussions on equality...
#18
I think that saying that everyone has equal potential is more accurate. However the many different circumstances that every living human being encounter cause the differences.

Llets pretend in a different universe Barack Obama and a Hobo switched lives, Barack experienced the hobos life and the hobo experienced Baracks life. Now, ignoring the fact that each person is free to make their own choices during their life. It is probable that the experiences, situations and opportunities will affect the Hobo and he could become President.

In short. Hobo's can be president.
Last edited by Chaosinborn at Jul 8, 2009,
#19
Quote by Jacek.W
why?



Quote by Don_Humpador
We are all equal as we are all human, that doesn't mean that people are equal in terms of monetary value, or in terms of how we behave.


That.
#20
We are all unique. Obviously we do not all have the same ability at the same things. We must view eachother as equal because it is the only just way to see it. We all have the same inherent worth as human beings.
#21
Quote by Zoot Allures
if you can prove to me that someone who is a hobo is any less 'worthy' and thus 'worse' than someone who is a great musician then i'd like to hear it. I know you can't prove it therefore everyone is equal.


I dont mean to say some people are better or worse than others- I meant that we are all different- the words equal and different have a very different meaning
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!


Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
#22
Quote by Jacek.W
I dont mean to say some people are better or worse than others- I meant that we are all different- the words equal and different have a very different meaning


I lol'd.
funkyducky


Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
#23
Everyone is equal for things like the law.
It doesn't mean we're all flatout the same thing, because last time I checked we're not all the same grey blobs in a total grey world.
Ok, Except for that Fairy Odd Parents episode...
#25
We are all equal, and different doesn't mean worse.

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
No, we are not equal.

Nobody in this thread treats everyone equally, stop being such hypocrits.


Sweeping statement. Trying to treat everyone kindly and with respect is the way to go.
#26
Quote by Jacek.W
I dont mean to say some people are better or worse than others- I meant that we are all different- the words equal and different have a very different meaning

Same and different are antonyms, not equal and different. Crack a dictionary.
#27
Quote by Zoot Allures
if you can prove to me that someone who is a hobo is any less 'worthy' and thus 'worse' than someone who is a great musician then i'd like to hear it. I know you can't prove it therefore everyone is equal.

Holy crap. That is the worst logic I have ever seen.

So, I can't prove that space exists (because I can't), therefore space must not exist?

Well that's interesting.
#28
you'd make an awesome Nazi !!
Quote by boomboosh
What the f**k is you problems?
Yes, I made an account to ask this question. Is it really that weird? No. I wanted some feedback from some proper guitar experts who knew what they were talking about. Sorry, I guess I was wrong.
#29
We are all equal, and different doesn't mean worse.

what im trying to say is. no-one is equal- cos we are all different. Different doesnt mean worse
Originally Posted by Dawginator
Lord Cheswick, you are a comic genius!


Originally Posted by blommen
the move of a true gentleman sir Jacek. short, civilised, and intellectual. hats off to you good sir
#30
All people are equal, you are talking about social inequality.
Social inequality can only be justified if everyone has equal opportunities (see: Durkheim), currently they don't. Even then we should ensure that no-one's standard of living falls under a certain level.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
#31
I love how The Pit fails at ethical/philosophical discussions. It's funny.

Actually, I love how The Pit fails at any discussion.
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.
#32
Quote by denizenz
Same and different are antonyms, not equal and different. Crack a dictionary.

Just looked up equal:
Antonyms: different
#33
Quote by Regression

So, I can't prove that space exists (because I can't)


You do breathe, don't you?

#34
Quote by Jacek.W

Also-I believe everyone should be treated equally and I have nothing against hobo's.


That's probably what most people mean when they say that we are equal.
#35
No we are not all equal, the rich get far better treatment then the poor, no matter how hard the poor work.

In terms of race and the like, we are all equal, though there are many people (racist douchebags) who disagree.
#36
Quote by supralightning
You do breathe, don't you?



Your point being?
funkyducky


Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
#37
I think the OP has completely misinterpreted the phrase "everyone is equal."
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
#39
There is no, and there will newer again be, a question about every human beeing beeing equal.
Last time somebody tried that out, was a small and shoutning Austrian with a caracteristic mustache back in 1933 - 1945.

Coinsidence decides where, when and in what social enviroment you are born.
Therefore by birth you are given the same human rigths as everybody else.
Only the actions you do and the choices you make, can have consequences that limit your freedom of action.
But!!! and thats the most importent part of modern society: all humans have the same value and are equal to law.

The negation of that, is Feudalism
#40
Quote by supralightning
Air occupies space



supralightning has just slapped you in the face...with logic.
*A list of all my gear*

Varg/J Mascis/GG Allin are all the same person.

There are two types of people in this world: people who like Bolt Thrower, and people who suck.

Death by diamonds and pearls.