A local shop is selling one for £110, or £120 with the case. Brand new.

Basicly ive been playing about a month to a month and ahalf, and i think my current fake flying v is holding me back. I only paid £40 for it brand new so im thinking its crap. I get a fret buzz on the 6 string every time and its just awkward to hold when sat tryingn to practice. I love the SG style as Angus is my fav guitarist.

So basicly what im saying is do you guys think its worth the cash for an epiphone sg special or should i save and get something better. I cant afford anymore than that at the moment.

Cheers and sorry if im rambling.
Quote by ricflairandy

Basicly ive been playing about a month to a month and ahalf, and i think my current fake flying v is holding me back. I only paid £40 for it brand new so im thinking its crap. I get a fret buzz on the 6 string every time and its just awkward to hold when sat tryingn to practice. I love the SG style as Angus is my fav guitarist.

So basicly what im saying is do you guys think its worth the cash for an epiphone sg special or should i save and get something better. I cant afford anymore than that at the moment.

Since this is your second guitar, I say go for a G-400.
Quote by consecutive e
Let me be the first to say.

Pics or gtfo.

Quote by CaptDin
Guitar Center - because someone has to trick people into buying Line 6 amps.

[img]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77198&stc=1[/img]
Its about as special as a frozen turd, its not worth the money. If you want a good SG-style guitar, get an Epiphone G400 for 300-350(depending on the finish you get).
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Thanks, like i said i cant afford much more so looks like ill stick with my ****ty flying v copy
DO NOT BUY IT. I had one and it give the wonderful SG guitar a bad name.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I have one.. i'd get a better guitar then that.. the finish on it is actually realyl nice up close, but the guitar sucks... I customised the sheeet out of mine so it could be playable. I have a pic on my profile check it out if you want.
cool, i liked the look of it in the shop today but no idea how it plays, it felt good compared to the **** ive been using, but im guessing anything would feel good compared to that
IMAO don't get it there are better values out there. Also dont be afraid to buy used you can get some of the best deals of your life buying used. Plus you wont really get any better of an angus sound out of that sg than you could any guitar with a pair of humbuckers. Simply because 90% of the tone comes mostly from his amp there rest from the guitar. The only common thing that the sg spec and his sg have is the shape. It may look nice but its really poorly built and will fall apart in a couple months. Dont be sucked into brand name or the body shape get your self a good quality guitar and a nice little amp you'll be happier in the long run.
Check these out all great sounding guitars for the cheap.

http://www.daddys.com/detail.php?itemNumber=EPI5416
http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvsomaflma.html
http://store.guitarfetish.com/nexvthcubafl.html
http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvsobofiquma.html
My Gear
03' MIM SunBurst Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard With Lace Alumitones
Epiphone PeeWee Les Paul
Starcaster By Fender
B-52 AT-112
Amplitube: Metal, Jimi Hendrix, Fender
Boss DS-1

Fav Bands: RHCP, Led Zep, ACDC, BLS, Slipknot
Last edited by a500n54 at Jul 8, 2009,
wow you've only been playing for a month and a half?
Don't get it. Play on your V until it literally starts to break down.

I had a $120 Yamaha that i played for a year until the bridge and middle pickup just stopped responding. It wasn't worth repairing it so then i got a new guitar....

By then you'll know more, you don't need to buy a new guitar, get better with the one you have.
The v is just a nightmare to play though, cant hold it properly on my knee because of the shape, which is making learning difficult. I get a shocking buzz on the 6th string everyt time aswell which is pissing me off.
Then stand, i'm telling you, you'll waste money on the Special only to find its problems and hate them, to which you'll want another new cheap guitar, and the cycle goes on and on.

Learn to play with the V, as unwieldy as it is. It's not like you're shredding and the V shape is getting in ur way when you sit.

I'm sorry man you said that ur V is holding you back, but you've only been playing for a month and a half. I'm pretty sure when you get better you'll find a way to play comfortably with the V.

Then when you get really good (playing for a year or more) save up and buy a nice guitar for around $500-$700 that you can trust and play comfortably on for years.

EDIT: that second one you're considering I wouldn't trust.
A bolt-on neck for 130 Euros? I wouldn't trust the quality.

What's your guitar? brand, pics, etc. How unwiedly is it?
Last edited by siverstorm at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by R74NOGRADY
I have one.. i'd get a better guitar then that.. the finish on it is actually realyl nice up close, but the guitar sucks... I customised the sheeet out of mine so it could be playable. I have a pic on my profile check it out if you want.

Where did you get that pick guard?
Quote by consecutive e

Pics or gtfo.

Quote by CaptDin

[img]http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=77198&stc=1[/img]
Its unbranded, and it cost me £40 brand new with an amp from a computer store!. I cant really stand when im in my gutiar lessons, i have to sit, and although i can use it in the classical way with my right leg between the v, it just makes it really akward.

I just want somthing i can use to carry on my learning but without the problems that this v has, and then in a years time ill glady ebay it and buy a new one.

The Farida one, id never heard of but the teacher was raving about them and hes really highly regarded in this area. aparently Noel Gallagher also has a farida.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
that link just takes me back to this page mate. I tried the other links earlier but they are all usa sites. Im in the UK (sorry if i forgot to mention that)
I cant seem to find any sg style agiles anyway, they must have stopped selling them
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
If it's that much of a pain to play then i dont really know what to reccomend.
All i know is that if you get another budget guitar you'll eventually hate it.

The SG is easier to play than a V (i own a G-400) but i don't know how the Special sounds....as you get better that may become a huge problem.
Yeah, ill have a think about it, i know what you guys are saying. But i really cant stand the v. Mabey i should just pick up another cheap and nasty guitar but in a normal shape second hand off ebay or somthing.

The worst part is i missed out on a g400 on ebay yesterday that went for £80!
Quote by siverstorm
wow you've only been playing for a month and a half?
Don't get it. Play on your V until it literally starts to break down.

I had a $120 Yamaha that i played for a year until the bridge and middle pickup just stopped responding. It wasn't worth repairing it so then i got a new guitar....

By then you'll know more, you don't need to buy a new guitar, get better with the one you have.

Wow, that was just pure crap. There is no reason for demolishing your own motivation by playing a really crappy guitar.

If you think you're ready to take the step of buying your first quality guitar, then at least buy a quality guitar and not just a quality name. The G400 has great value, and you can get it cheap when buying secondhand.
Quote by rasmusschaal
Wow, that was just pure crap. There is no reason for demolishing your own motivation by playing a really crappy guitar.

If you think you're ready to take the step of buying your first quality guitar, then at least buy a quality guitar and not just a quality name. The G400 has great value, and you can get it cheap when buying secondhand.

Thanks, i guess ill just keep looking out for one then. Im just getting really frustrating and impatient about wanting somthing new, the angle i have to hold this v at is ridiculus. Cant belive i baught it in the first place
Quote by ricflairandy
Thanks, i guess ill just keep looking out for one then. Im just getting really frustrating and impatient about wanting somthing new, the angle i have to hold this v at is ridiculus. Cant belive i baught it in the first place

You tuck teh bottom point under your thigh, and you left leg holds the part near the neck.
Quote by consecutive e

Pics or gtfo.

Quote by CaptDin

Quote by AcousticArc
You tuck teh bottom point under your thigh, and you left leg holds the part near the neck.

Thats how ive been holding it, its its just not comfortable atall. Its horrible.
Quote by ricflairandy
Any more reccomendations, im going to check them out at teh store today

You could always spend money. You are NEVER going to find something good at a guitar store with the money you have. Get a job and stop scraping pennies from between the sofa cushons.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by ricflairandy

save the money you'll be better off with the G400 and it'll last you a longer time
Quote by ricflairandy
funny guy, ive got a job. But ive also got a wife and 2 children to look after.

You have a job but you still only want to spend $100 on a guitar even though you know it will be ****.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
You have a job but you still only want to spend $100 on a guitar even though you know it will be ****.

But he still has a wife and 2 kids to feed, which is far more important than a ****ing guitar! In this economy not everyone has $300 just lying around.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
But he still has a wife and 2 kids to feed, which is far more important than a ****ing guitar! In this economy not everyone has $300 just lying around.

thanks for the backup mate, love the username aswell.

Anyway, its £100 not $100 , the difference is quite a bit. I didnt know it was ****, hence this thread asking views on it. Ive only been playing for about 6 weeks, and can only play a few riffs and parts of songs. Im enjoying it and having lessons, but cant really justifiy going and spending alot on one yet. If im still playing in a year and ive improved id gladly go and buy a top of the range one.
I know money might be tight right now, and if you absolutely hate your V, you should replace it soon as you can. The problem is, any 100 pound guitar will be pretty crappy. You might be able to raise the 6th string on your V so it doesn't buzz, but a guitar that cheap may not be that adjustable, and unless you know what you are doing, it would cost money to have it set-up properly. Maybe you can borrow a buddy's guitar till you save up enough to buy something well made.
If you can save 400 pounds you can buy a Gibson (not Epi) SG special used and have a great starter guitar, good enough to never replace no matter how good you get. If it turns out that you don't play it, because you bought it used, you can sell it for about what you bought it for.
Cheers, i do really hate the v, its really is that bad.

Im keeping an eye on a few g400s on ebay but i want somthing asap so if i miss out on them or they go too high i might go after a vintage vs6 for now. What do you think on those?
Quote by ricflairandy
Cheers, i do really hate the v, its really is that bad.

Im keeping an eye on a few g400s on ebay but i want somthing asap so if i miss out on them or they go too high i might go after a vintage vs6 for now. What do you think on those?

Keep an Eye on Craiglist and Kijiji.

Quote by hopespaul
let me put this nicely. sg special is a piece of crap

They're pretty good for a beginner guitar, you've probably never played one either.
Quote by consecutive e

Pics or gtfo.

Quote by CaptDin

Quote by AcousticArc
Keep an Eye on Craiglist and Kijiji.

They're pretty good for a beginner guitar, you've probably never played one either.

Thanks mate.
I got the vs6 in the end yesterday . £67 with a fender amp. Looks in mint condition , good low action. Strings need changing, e string looks like its going to snap and is out of shape. Also get a slight buzz on the e string. But i think i have got a good bargain for that price.