Ok I just figured this out when I was driving haha -

I've got two different amps that I want to run stereo with eachother through the same cab. BUT I also want there to be times when I can play both amps separately. The thing which has got me is how will I get the volumes of each amp right in the different scenario's, i.e in stereo and on their own. Surely both amps will have to be quieter when they are playing together and louder when they're on their own - how will I get round this problem?
I'm running through my GCX Audio Switcher and Ground Control Pro and I also have a G-Major at hand (Not sure if this will have any functions that could help?)

Cheers!
use your guitar volume

otherwise, maybe try a volume pedal on one or both signals. Can I assume you need to do this mid-song or something? Will you be far away from the amps or something? I don't think it's going to all be that much louder when running both. I've never done it before.

Not sure what you can do with your current gear. What amps heads are these? Do you have the speaker ohm situation figured out?
Its not really Stereo if your only using 1 cab.

You could try an A/B/Y box to switch between them.
Sig What?
It's stereo it's just that the seperation can be measured in centimeters and you won't hear it as well. For example if one amp is wired to the top two speakers and the other amp is wired to the bottom speakers I bet you could hear the difference.

How will an ABY box fix his volume question?
Cheers for the replies guys. The two amps I'm going to be using are the 5150 III and the Orange Thunderverb 50 or 200, haven't decided which one yet. Yeh it's going to mid-song i'll be doing this. I also figured out that if I'm using my 4x12 as basically two 2x12's, then I'm going to have two mic's live, one for each amp.... I'm kool with this but then maybe it's going to sound like three guitars live (other guitarist). Starting to become a little difficult this is haha!
Last edited by ollievk at Jul 9, 2009,
um.....wow....nice amps

I'd get the Thunderverb or Rockerverb 50.

Can I be your friend?

Seriously. Running amps in stereo is a bit out of my league so bump for ya. So you are not so much interested in stereo seperation? If you WANT to sound like 2 different guitars I would think you would want some seperation or otherwise the sound may get washed together if running into the same cab. If you've got a 5153 and can afford a Thunderverb then you can afford another cab and seperate them on stage. Does any of your gear allow you to switch between amps now? If figured it did or at least you knew what to do there (ABY wise).

Personally, I don't think you need to worry about the volume control thing. If you do, I think a volume pedal(s) is your best route but keep asking. Do make sure you have the ohms figured out, especially if using one cab.

What cab is this and does it have a mono/stereo jack selector?

(also, I will require pics of these amps when it's all said and done)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 9, 2009,
Best bet is running a volume pedal or for instant switching run a eq pedal right next to your aby so when you make the switch it kills the volume equally across the board..

Also your gonna want a buffered aby
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Jul 9, 2009,
this is exactly what i want to do with my splawn and a rockerverb

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Seriously. Running amps in stereo is a bit out of my league so bump for ya. So you are not so much interested in stereo seperation? If you WANT to sound like 2 different guitars I would think you would want some seperation or otherwise the sound may get washed together if running into the same cab. If you've got a 5153 and can afford a Thunderverb then you can afford another cab and seperate them on stage. Does any of your gear allow you to switch between amps now? If figured it did or at least you knew what to do there (ABY wise).

Yeh I've already got the 5150 III and i've just put my order down for a black Thunderverb 200 I've got the equipment to change between the amps GCX Audio switcher and Ground control pro. I'll be running them both through a Mesa 4x12.

To be honest I may just use each amps separately using the Audio Switcher, I think trying to do this aswell as using them both at the same time is just going to be to much effort....
Still waiting on my GCX, but here's a pic of everything so far not racked and cased up -

/drool

Um, clipz....
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Holy ****. Now THAT is a rig.
Quote by Cathbard