Okay.

I've been playing for a good 4 years now and i finally think it is time to get on top of my improvising and lead guitar writing skills.

After looking through websites on how to improvise and all of that, i've found nothing to help me in my quest to write some lead.

So i was wondering whether anybody could tell me what exactly i need to know to write lead guitar lines and improvise something that sounds good?

Cheers!
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Music Theory would be the quickest way to do this... otherwise you could just learn your way around the fretboard...
I don't think you'll find that. I'd like to know how to improve my phrasing. Every guitarist on earth would like to know how to improve his phrasing. But the truth is, it's just a matter of luck. Sometimes I end up improvising pleasant melodies, next time I end up playing non-melodic ****. I'd suggest you to record yourself while improvising, then listen to the record and try to "pull out" some decent licks. A whole lot of solos are pure improvisations, lead guitarist simply improvise and pick out the best solo.
Easiest way imo is to learn enough theory to understand what works over what chord progressions (eg pentatonic or blues scales over a 12 bar blues), learn your scales, then record yourself a chord progression (so you know exactly what you're playing over) pick 3 or 4 notes (including the root) from a scale that will work over it, and noodle with those four notes - try out different rhythms and play with phrasing, then start adding notes in. Once you are reasonably confident record a new chord progression in a different key, or that you can use a different type of scale over.
Yeah dude even i know you need some musical theory in your brain to be able to solo and what not. then every thing comes naturally (after hours and hours of practice.)
First thing to get your head round is that this starts with YOU...forget the guitar, forget theory, forget websites and books.

Writing/improvising starts with an idea in your head, with you imagining a sound you want to create - all the other stuff simply exists to help you get that sound out into the open. So for the time being concentrate on getting yourself thinking musically .Whenever your listening to music, whether it's a backing track, your favourite band or even an advertising jingle or theme tune really listen to it and try to come up with a completely different melody that fits over it, or a harmony that fits, or simply modify the existing melody. And forget the guitar for a while and simply try singing that melody in your head, you'll find that a lot easier than trying to go straight to the guitar in the early stages.

If you can't start the process off by taping into your own thoughts, ideas, feelings, emotions and musical experience and spark something off in your head then the rest of the stuff is immaterial.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Tightening your improvisational skills takes a lot of practice, of course. Record a loop of a chord progression and doodle with the blues scale over it. Learn some licks. Play them until they become your own. Record your soloing so you can listen back to it, as Eddie Van Halen recommends.

keep it loose and put as much of yourself into it as possible.
Obnoxious signature here