hey guys, i play in a punk band with a les paul, and the fast strumming combined with the tune-o-matic saddles break a lot of strings. at least one every other practice/show

i'm going to college in 3 weeks, so don't suggest to get a graph tech saddle (which i was about to buy until i realized that i'll probably only go through 3 or 4 sets of strings before i leave my les paul at home) because it wouldn't pay for itself

I play with .11's typically and want to know what types of strings wont break on me.. i'm about to run out to Guitar Center and pick some up. I've had experience with DR's, D'addarios, Elixers, and Ernie Balls.... and i've broken all of them ... some a little better than others.

what do you think is the best in terms of longevity?

PS - i don't have any sharp spurs on my saddles... i checked

tl;dr - i break strings, suggest some that will last longer
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Rotosound are the nuts.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Not to be an ass, but I'm gonna be an ass; properly set-up your guitar, and learn to properly play it. You should not be breaking strings that often, regardless of brand.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Not to be an ass, but I'm gonna be an ass; properly set-up your guitar, and learn to properly play it. You should not be breaking strings that often, regardless of brand.

this guy calls 'em how he sees 'em.
Quote by Le_Bunny
LE shoop? It must be rad. And yes, I see potential.

P.S. nobody google 'man train'.

Seriously? you must be picking with a chisel to go through that many strings, the strings themselves are not going to be the problem
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
erm dont strum so hard...if u break strings every practise... ever think its you?
put heavyer guage strings and get it properly set up
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
No strings just "won't break". Slow down?
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
instead of stringing your stings from the back of your bridge straight up the guitar, go in from the front of the bridge and wrap around them come up - so the strings are actually on top of your bridge piece....a guitar tech showed me and I have NEVER broken a string in the last 5 years

also as mentioned above, get your guitar set up right and make sure you are playing right - there is no need to break strings like that

edit - im referring to your stop bar not the saddle itself

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Last edited by Tyler Durden at Jul 8, 2009,
You think you're going to go through 3 or 4 sets in about 3 weeks?

I don't think it's the strings fault... also the graphite saddle really helps. I haven't replaced the strings on my Schecter for at least 5 months
ok, i know i play too hard at practices.. i just get caught up in the music and subconsiously play harder... i'm also a rhythm guitarist, so it's only full strumming and i use medium guage picks.

basically what i get out of this is that with my style, i'll just break strings.... and should just get any strings... right?
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ

basically what i get out of this is that with my style, i'll just break strings.... and should just get any strings... right?

ummm, not at all - read the posts dude, you SHOULD NOT be breaking strings like that at all.

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
thanks, and wow you guys are hostile today..

in the past i've gotten respectful criticism... i left my flame shield in the pit today tho
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Have you been using your MG? Maybe your guitar is telling you to get rid of it.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622
Have you been using your MG? Maybe your guitar is telling you to get rid of it.

Maybe it can't handle the crushing overdrive.
respectful critisizm? lol you must have been on a different site

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
no i'm using an Orange Tiny Terror halfstacked... mic'ed at the shows too, so idk why i play so hard.. i should try and play softer

my MG was too Br00t4l for my playing... i've been trying to trick someone on craigslist into buying it
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Ok, true, you shouldnt be breaking strings like that, but on the other hand, if you play often, after about two or three weeks your strings will sound ancient. If you cant alter your technique to help with this, I reccomend Elixirs, thats what I use, and I havent broken a string in years. I also use the "strings over and around the bridge" thing mentioned above.
Quote by chainsawguitar
Ok, true, you shouldnt be breaking strings like that, but on the other hand, if you play often, after about two or three weeks your strings will sound ancient. If you cant alter your technique to help with this, I reccomend Elixirs, thats what I use, and I havent broken a string in years. I also use the "strings over and around the bridge" thing mentioned above.

How exactly do you do this over and around the bridge thing? I don't really understand it... I tried google but failed miserably.