Hi!
Im looking for a new guitar. My budget is $800.
I am currently playing a Les Paul standard. Its great, but its a bit to much of a lead instrument and i want a guitar that doens't 'fill' that much in a band.
I have looked at the Telecaster and the Stratocaster, but im not quite sure on which one i want.
Im playing funk-hip hop so i want a twangy sound. But still something that i can play a fat solo on with a lot of body to it.
What would you suggest looking at?
Remember that my budget is $800.

Rasmus.
Some kind of Fat Strat?
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
I'd suggest an HSS Strat. The ideal funk tone is quite thin, so you won't be able to play an authentically fat sounding solo with the same pickup.
You could also try an SxH Telecaster. The single coil's a little more muscular sounding yet twangier at the same time. The humbucker will be darker and creamier than the HSS Strat's will purely because it'll be at the neck position.
Try both and see what you prefer.
And at that price point, you should get a Roadhouse Strat or the Tele equivalent IMO. Unless you can pick up an American Standard, in which case do. I'm not very clued in on Fender pricing in the US.
Very true. Just look at Robby Krieger of The Doors. Used SG's his entire career. A Tele can also work. Anything with single coils can work and some humbuckers can work as well. I would recommend a Used SG or an Epi G-400, swap out the pickups if you don't like them. Something with humbuckers and coil splitter would work great.

What amp are you using? Cause if you get the G-400 you could also buy a new amp if your current amp isn't that great.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.
I am really satisfied with my amp, its a Vox AD50VT.
And im not really into the SG, especially not the epiphone.
HH Jaguar?
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
Quote by rasmusschaal
How do you think a SH Jaguar would sound in a funk hiphop band?

Odd.

The fact is that Jazzmasters and Jags are extremely idiosyncratic; the sustain is short and clipped, the trem is unstable, the excessive knobs and switches are questionable in value and sometimes confusing, and the neck dimensions aren't mainstream at all, creating an awkward playing experience and, in the case of the scale length, an unnusually loose sound which doesn't have the clarity or attack you're looking for.

I wouldn't advise a Jag or a Jazz.
Quote by Rock Pig
Odd.

The fact is that Jazzmasters and Jags are extremely idiosyncratic; the sustain is short and clipped, the trem is unstable, the excessive knobs and switches are questionable in value and sometimes confusing, and the neck dimensions aren't mainstream at all, creating an awkward playing experience and, in the case of the scale length, an unnusually loose sound which doesn't have the clarity or attack you're looking for.

Thanks, that was really helpful.
What about a HSS strat?
Quote by rasmusschaal
Thanks, that was really helpful.
What about a HSS strat?

That would be my choice. The middle pickup, or a combination of it and one coil of the bridge humbucker, would be ideal for the funky, articulate tones you're looking for, while the full bridge pickup would give you access to an eminently usable rock guitar voice with the girth of a humbucker and the articulation of the full 25.5" scale length. The pickups might warrant a change later on unless you go for the Lone Star Strat, which is a Strat that's made in Mexico with USA components, including Custom Shop Texas Specials and the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus, which is made by Duncan for Fender and is IMO the best bridge humbucker Fender offer. A personal favourite guitar of mine.
Last edited by Rock Pig at Jul 8, 2009,
I've had look at a few strats now. Some of the models in the Highway One series has HSS configuration... What do you think of that guitar?
Quote by Rock Pig
Odd.

Every once in a while someone here a UG actually knows what they're talking about.

(I love those polar white Charvels too)
Quote by rasmusschaal
Hi!
Im looking for a new guitar. My budget is $800.
I am currently playing a Les Paul standard. Its great, but its a bit to much of a lead instrument and i want a guitar that doens't 'fill' that much in a band.
I have looked at the Telecaster and the Stratocaster, but im not quite sure on which one i want.
Im playing funk-hip hop so i want a twangy sound. But still something that i can play a fat solo on with a lot of body to it.
What would you suggest looking at?
Remember that my budget is $800.

Rasmus.

Strat + good pickups + ≥10 gauge strings + pedals = anything you want. Seriously. I really used to be a strat hater when I just had my Les Paul and Ibanez JS, but then I got the itch to build one. It turned out fantastic and is now my go-to guitar, since it covers the ground of both and extends them even farther. There are an enormous amount of options for strats, they're easily customized, easy to repair, and you can find a bunch of very good ones (especially if you go used) for less than a grand.

I'd just recommend going with one with a thicker neck and some non-ice-picky pickups, which may take some looking. Seymour duncan lipsticks are very versatile and what I use, but I also liked some of the custom shop models and pretty much every Dimarzio I ever tried. And try not to buy one without either playing it first or knowing that it's precisely the one you want.

The strat also offers the advantage of a trem over the tele, and if you don't want it you can just use 5 springs and lock the bridge down. Not to mention, imho, strats look way cooler than teles.

My .02
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Quote by musicfan1234
An LTD. MH or EC series. Or just get an Edwards les paul.

...did you not read the original post? He said he had a Les Paul and wanted something different

TS: I'm with Rock Pig on this, HSS Strat sounds to be quite well suited to your needs. As for going the Highway One route, I'd definitely say make sure you try it first as I've heard very mixed reviews of them but have yet to personally play them so I can't say much other than hersey.
HSS strat, definitely. i think it would be your most versatile, while still giving you good solid tone (not just a "i can do anything instrument" but an "i can do anything well" instrument)
Yep, if you're looking for funky tone then go with a Strat. My MIJ Strat is a SSS but it has a Seymous Duncan Hot Rail in the bridge pickup which gives it a lot more bite if I need it. Its my number one guitar for funk and bluesy styles, but definitely go try one out before you buy just to make sure you're getting what you want. A Fat Strat would be good as well because its essentially the same thing as mine, except with an actual humbucker instead of a stacked humbucker.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15