Hope this is in the right section!

Awhile back my brother bought a Fender DeVille tube amp for him to mess around with. Now he's gone and gave it to me, only it doesn't work well.

The problem is that you can only hear it when the volume or master volume is at about a 9 or 10. I've changed the tubes and checked them so I don't believe that to be the problem.

Any ideas as to why it's so quiet?
...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped.
Ich bin ein Gittarenspieler
Standby switch still on standby?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I wish it would be that simple hehe, but no it's not on standby. Thanks for the reply though.
OK, next step. There are wires coming off the speakers that go to a 1/4 inch jack that plugs into the back of the amp. Turn the amp down to about 2 and try pushing lightly on that jack. Pushing it into the back of the amp. Do NOT unplug it if the amp is on, ever. These leads can be faulty, I had a bad one. Try pushing it in and see if that brings it back from the dead. Cost me $15 to fix mine when that happened.

Then we're on to the tube mystery if that's not it.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jul 8, 2009,
Check all your jack inputs. I bought my JSX used and there was a broken off tip of a cable stuck in the back of one of the speaker outputs (don't ask me how you would go about doing this to a cable lol). Anyway, when that little metal piece touched the little circuit board back there the sound would go really quiet. Pretty much what you're describing. Opened up the amp, took the piece out and profit! Simple as that.

Other than something like that... maybe a loose wire?
Well I tried all my jack inputs and that doesn't seem to be the problem. Last night I was messing with the 1/4 jack in the back and it managed to make a breath of life for about 1 second before it went quiet again.

But now when I try this nothing happens, so I'm not sure.
It's the speaker wire/jack. Those fuking suck. Why fender can't get a 1/4 inch jack and speaker leads that work are beyond me. Leave the amp off until you replace it so you don't fry your OT.
Quote by gregs1020
It's the speaker wire/jack. Those fuking suck. Why fender can't get a 1/4 inch jack and speaker leads that work are beyond me. Leave the amp off until you replace it so you don't fry your OT.

I suggest you listen to this. Only a portion of the load is going to the speaker. The other portion (probably the larger portion) is going ape**** on your components.

(I have no electrical knowledge, so these are terrible analogies.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Alright well I'll bring it into the shop, thanks everyone.
Quote by Monotnic
Alright well I'll bring it into the shop, thanks everyone.

Go in there knowing what your getting fixed. Because they will charge you $40 or so to do a diagnostic, and as Gregs said it is a $15 fix, max. Honestly, unlike 90% of amp repairs, you should just do this yourself.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Took me all of 30 seconds to change mine.