It's quite the interesting feeling. Some describe it as an 'out-of-body experience', where they feel like they are watching a movie of their own life, but not really living it by themself. It's quite hard to explain, but you could also say your eyes are resting in someone else's body.
Another way to feel it is as though the world isn't real, or as if you're living in a dream. Or, you're looking at everything feeling like an outsider, a newcomer, or as if you've never seen anything before.

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization

I've felt both. You can get the feeling through drugs, though I come to hate the feeling when I get it. I absolutely hate it. The reason I tend to get it sometimes is from lack of a proper nights sleep. I'll be sitting in school, everything just seems like it has a lack of significance and I'll just throw my head down and ignore everything because none of it mattered to me anymore.
Can anyone relate?
There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
Last edited by DirtyMakik at Jul 8, 2009,
I've felt that way on and off for days, it's becoming more frequent though.

I have GAD though, so thats why, and meds usually help.
Quote by RPGoof
It's quite the interesting feeling. Some describe it as an 'out-of-body experience', where they feel like they are watching a movie of their own life, but not really living it by themself. It's quite hard to explain, but you could also say your eyes are resting in someone else's body.
Another way to feel it is as though the world isn't real, or as if you're living in a dream. Or, you're looking at everything feeling like an outsider, a newcomer, or as if you've never seen anything before.

Wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depersonalization
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization

I've felt both. You can get the feeling through drugs, though I come to hate the feeling when I get it. I absolutely hate it. The reason I tend to get it sometimes is from lack of a proper nights sleep. I'll be sitting in school, everything just seems like it has a lack of significance and I'll just throw my head down and ignore everything because none of it mattered to me anymore.
Can anyone relate?

Teenage angst, you will get over it. Try to consume less sugar.
I suffer from acute DPD (Depersonalization disorder) and I'm on a **** tonne of meds for it. If anything the meds just make me feel worse, in a different way.
ohai little sig.
Happens to me a lot as a byproduct of bipolar disorder.
That, and because I'm just another angst-filled teenager with raging hormones and the misconception that nobody understands me and that I'm alone in the universe.

Also happens every single time I watch Donnie Darko.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
It is in no way a good thing, and often leads to serious depression when it gets to the point of being able to feel nothing towards anybody - the quote form american psycho^ sums it up well. talk to the drug thread about it, I know a few people in there are quite knowledgable about it
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
I've never experienced the conditions you've mentioned, but I have had moments when I randomly saw myself from a complete outsiders perspective, and questioned simple mundane tasks, like going to the bathroom.

"Wait a minute...I'm passing water through my body into a porcelain bowl mounted onto a wall in my residence, from where it is drained to a series of underground pipelines and reservoirs. RUSSELL, WHAT THE FUCK?"

It was only temporary, but I get feelings like that every now and again.
I think Ive experienced derealization before, I never knew it was that though.

I hated it, it happened mostly while I was at my grandparent's place.
The whole place just shifted into something different, but stayed the same, at the same time. My way of perceiving it changed.
Quote by sashki
I've never experienced the conditions you've mentioned, but I have had moments when I randomly saw myself from a complete outsiders perspective, and questioned simple mundane tasks, like going to the bathroom.

"Wait a minute...I'm passing water through my body into a porcelain bowl mounted onto a wall in my residence, from where it is drained to a series of underground pipelines and reservoirs. RUSSELL, WHAT THE FUCK?"

It was only temporary, but I get feelings like that every now and again.

Yeah I've felt that many many times. Just how you perceive everything changes and I hate it.
**** sucks, but I only ever really get it if I spend like a whole weekend being high, I get depersonalized for a few days afterward
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

I felt like that coming out of depression, kinda weird. Felt cool at the time. I talked to one guy once who suffered from depersonalisation in his 30s. pretty tough.
When I was on the acne medication 'Roaccutane' on the eve of my GCSE's this happened to me.
I was absolutely terrified, it reduced me to tears. I was so scared. All I kept saying was 'please don't let me feel like this for the rest of my life, please'.
Absolutely horrifying in my opinion. I couldn't enjoy music or films, everything felt as though it wasn't real.
I remember the exact minute it started too, which was weird. I was just sitting in history class when snap! It happened.