Why exactly don't more companies install an active/passive bypass switch with active basses? I know that it'd cost more to produce this & then cost us abit more when we buy them, but personally I think it'd be worth it for gigging musicians, as if a battery went dead live we wouldn't have to swap to using a different instrument, we could just bypass the active EQ with the flick of a switch. So, is it simply because of the extra production cost? Or maybe it hasn't ocrurred to the companies?
its not only the EQs that takes the batteries. active pups themselves take significantly more power than passive pups
if it hadn't occured to companies, there wouldn't be active/passive switches. that's a good point though, and god knows gigging musicians (well, many) can afford that.

also, i'm going to use your thread title as a song title.
**my post might be utter nonsense, I've never actually owned an active bass, I don't actually know that much about them...**

active pickups are built with a much lower impedence than a passive pickup. this is what gives them their "clinical" tone, but It's alsomeans they don't produce a strong enough signal to produce a sound from an amp on their own - this is where the battery/active circuitry comes in. the active ciruit boosts the signal so it's loud enough to be heard though a normal amp.

there is also active circuits that boost the signal of normal pickups so you can have say, bass,middle,and treble knobs instead of just the one tone knob.

only the latter would be able to feature a active/passive switch i think.
Even something to cut the battery from draining between songs would help out personally.
Quote by Mitchinator1
Even something to cut the battery from draining between songs would help out personally.

can't you just turn the volume knob to 0? or does that not work
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
yes mitchinator1, the mod you suggest would be easy to do, you could even use a push/pull pot or do it externally (with a stereo lead) if you didn't want to change the appearance of the guitar.

Quote by capslockisnton
can't you just turn the volume knob to 0? or does that not work

doesn't work. it's unplugging the lead that disconnects the battery, same princible as an effects pedal.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by Mitchinator1

this already exsists, it's called unplugging the cable from the guitar/bass.
Quote by jimRH7
**my post might be utter nonsense, I've never actually owned an active bass, I don't actually know that much about them...**

active pickups are built with a much lower impedence than a passive pickup. this is what gives them their "clinical" tone, but It's alsomeans they don't produce a strong enough signal to produce a sound from an amp on their own - this is where the battery/active circuitry comes in. the active ciruit boosts the signal so it's loud enough to be heard though a normal amp.

there is also active circuits that boost the signal of normal pickups so you can have say, bass,middle,and treble knobs instead of just the one tone knob.

that is wrong. did you read that somewhere or did you just make that up off the top of your head?
Quote by jimRH7

you actually got that spot on. The reason is that you need to have passive pickups with an active preamp, and that usually only happens in basses in low to mid range, where they wouldn't bother with something like that.

EDIT: Meant to say "the reason so few companies use an active/passive switch is that..."
Quote by C0_0kie
guitar solo - "meh, every song got one"
bass solo - "OMGZ0R U IS PRO MENZ"

Quote by lucertia.
fapfapfapfapfapfap

burgerburgerburgerburger

Quote by DeAd-RiP
Sir I would like to sex your bass.
Last edited by kugelspot at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by kugelspot
you actually got that spot on. The reason is that you need to have passive pickups with an active preamp, and that usually only happens in basses in low to mid range, where they wouldn't bother with something like that.

Quote by JayLacelle
that is wrong. did you read that somewhere or did you just make that up off the top of your head?

Somebody needs to get their story straight.

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
J-retro & Audere type preamps that can be used with passive pickups would be great for this. I don't think it would work with active pickups however.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Quote by JayLacelle

I think you'll find that you are wrong and Jim has hit the nail square on the head
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Mitchinator1

I'd suggest buying a patch cord with a bypass switch on it, I have one by planet waves, and it's lasted longer than any other cable I've owned. But my bass has an active/passive option as well (push/pull volume). But the bypass on my cable helps to also keep my volume fixed between songs without making noise.
"It often happens that I wake up at night and begin to think about a serious problem and decide I must tell the pope about it. Then I wake up completely and remember that I am the pope."

---Pope John XXIII
Haaaaaang on, what the hell is everyone talking about? Yes, companies do make basses with pre-amp bypasses, and yes some preamps turn off if the volume is turned to 0. However, it's easier to have it connected to the input connector.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by kugelspot

EDIT: Meant to say "the reason so few companies use an active/passive switch is that..."

Plenty of companies do the whole passive pickup, active preamp thing. It's the combination I prefer, as it gets a good balance between the tone of passive and the advantages of active.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Many companies use an active preamp with passive pickups, as opposed to all active... My warwick has a push pull volume knowb for active passive, as do many other companies, such as G&L, how have a switch, as well as a passive EQ, but thats another matter entirtely.
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Again, my Warwick has passive pickups with active electronics with the push/pull.

Zon basses come in ass/act flavour, and I'm pretty sure at least the Fender Marcus Miller has passive pickups with active preamp. It really isn't as limited tow lo to mid basses to the extent that has been suggested
Quote by kugelspot

honestly? wow i've been seriously misled. i heard that active pickups use more power than passives.
Quote by JayLacelle
honestly? wow i've been seriously misled. i heard that active pickups use more power than passives.

Actives do use more power. In that passives don't use batteries at all. Actives do use power, so they use more!

The preamp is a different thing.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Actives do use more power. In that passives don't use batteries at all. Actives do use power, so they use more!

The preamp is a different thing.

then why did that person say that active pickups have a lower impedence than passives and require a preamp to boost it?
Thats because active pickups REQUIRE and active preamp to drive them, or at least an active boost, thus no active/passive switching.

Passive pups dont need a preamp, but can be used with one of you want to, and this allows you to use an active/passive switch.
Quote by LordBishek
Quote by JayLacelle
then why did that person say that active pickups have a lower impedence than passives and require a preamp to boost it?

Actives don't require a preamp at all. They require a power source to boost their output.

Active pickups are made with less coils on the pickup itself, this allows for a flatter frequency response. However, it results in a lower output. So they need a battery to give them the boost.

Some people also have an active EQ with pickups. This is entirely different. However, they may be wired to run off the same battery, as in my Warwick Corvette.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Actives don't require a preamp at all. They require a power source to boost their output.

Active pickups are made with less coils on the pickup itself, this allows for a flatter frequency response. However, it results in a lower output. So they need a battery to give them the boost.

Some people also have an active EQ with pickups. This is entirely different. However, they may be wired to run off the same battery, as in my Warwick Corvette.

So what I said?
Quote by LordBishek
Quote by Brodie337
So what I said?

Basically, but you said that they need an active preamp to boost them. The active preamp has nothing to do with it - it's just an EQ really.

The battery does the boosting, which you did say. It just seemed that everyone was confused, and this annoyed me
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Ahhkay, thanks
Quote by LordBishek
Quote by JayLacelle

They do. Active pickups have less powerfull magnets than passives, and therefore need electronics to boost the signal so the amp can register it.

They use more energy to boost the signal.

EDIT: What they ^ just said basically....

Current Gear
Schecter Stiletto Elite-5LH
Dean E09L
Line 6 LD15
Last edited by Caltelt at Jul 10, 2009,