I've been offered one of these in a trade and I'm curious to see what you guys think of them.

I've heard some awesome tones out of Mark IIIs before, but I've only used a Green Stripe model before. This head is the original version of the Mark III, and does not have the Graphic EQ (unfortunately).

Mainly, I want to know how much gain these have (keep in mind it doesn't have the GEQ) and if I can get a modern metal tone out of it without a boost.

A lot of guys that play lower gain stuff seem to think that these are the best version of the Mark III, but I'm not going to do a trade on tone alone. I need something that will do metal by itself because adding a boost to get that much gain is annoying And I could never get my MXR EQ in the loop to sound quite the same as the GEQ on my Mark IV.

Opinions needed!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
you are Matrix Claw, you can buy whatever you want
and i never tried the Original Mark III so no comment
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
mark III have rediculous amounts of smooth gain. however..they are VERY bassy. like..the only time i used one in a studio..i had to turn the bass almost all they way off..and it was still alittle flabby. greatttt sounding tones though. not sure so much about the lack of the graphic eq but it shouldnt make that much of a difference...
Ya, man, I hate to say it, but you are gonna be hard pressed for better advice than you might give. I'd say just from what you've said here, it sounds like you are settling, so unless you're getting a damn good trade I think you've already made up your mind.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
you are Matrix Claw, you can buy whatever you want
and i never tried the Original Mark III so no comment

Quote by HIM%(^
mark III have rediculous amounts of smooth gain. however..they are VERY bassy. like..the only time i used one in a studio..i had to turn the bass almost all they way off..and it was still alittle flabby. greatttt sounding tones though. not sure so much about the lack of the graphic eq but it shouldnt make that much of a difference...

I'm familiar with the EQ controls on the Mark series, I have owned a Mark IV. Yes, you need to set the mids and bass pretty low

I really like the lead channel of the Mark III I've tried, as well as the Mark IV. But I never tried anything else on the Mark III, and had the GEQ engaged the whole time The reason I got rid of my Mark IV though, was because R2 is worthless and the cleans weren't my thing.

Quote by tubetime86
Ya, man, I hate to say it, but you are gonna be hard pressed for better advice than you might give. I'd say just from what you've said here, it sounds like you are settling, so unless you're getting a damn good trade I think you've already made up your mind.

You make a good point. Value wise, I think what I'd be trading would be worth more... but I think I'd end up liking the Mark III better (assuming it has enough gain for me).

Quote by acdclandon
Can you try it?

No, unfortunately. Otherwise I wouldn't have even made a thread and just tried it out
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, there's a clip up on YouTube of a guy doing shred stuff with one, but who knows if it can get the br00t4lz?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KiGEzKHH_g

Sounds like it has enough gain to me, but maybe not to the saturation that you might want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Yeah, I saw that one, but his has a GEQ, so I'd assume he's using that on the clip.

IbanezGuitars did this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbUx8LZgjs

The part with the As Blood Runs Black riff sounds awesome, but I'm pretty sure he's using an OD there
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
There's a few other vid's on youtube, but all the one's doing metal are using an OD as a boost. They might just be tightening the gain up though, not adding any.

It may have enough gain, but it might be too loose sounding

I've tried the red stripe one, but I wasn't trying to test the metal tones.
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
There's a few other vid's on youtube, but all the one's doing metal are using an OD as a boost. They might just be tightening the gain up though, not adding any.

It may have enough gain, but it might be too loose sounding

I've tried the red stripe one, but I wasn't trying to test the metal tones.

Yeah, I never thought my Mark IV needed an OD. It was the only amp I've had that didn't really benefit from one, but I could see needing to do that without the EQ.

Hmm...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
yea, i have never played that model(Black Dot/Stripe), but others(MK III), and they are awesome. Same old classic Boogie, you should. Oh, and pics when ya get it.
Sadly, I honestly don't think you're going to find what you need in the Black Dot Mark III. The Mark IIIs are higher gain than the II's, but the IIIs don't really get modern metal tones unless you get a red stripe or green stripe one, and since you play metal, the red would be your thing since it's the highest gain Mark III. Sure the black dot can do a pretty good metal tone, but I think the red stripe would be even better for your tastes.

Try it out first and see if it can get the tones you desire, you may be surprised and I may be mistaken; the black dot could wind up being exactly what you want.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Sadly, I honestly don't think you're going to find what you need in the Black Dot Mark III. The Mark IIIs are higher gain than the II's, but the IIIs don't really get modern metal tones unless you get a red stripe or green stripe one, and since you play metal, the red would be your thing since it's the highest gain Mark III. Sure the black dot can do a pretty good metal tone, but I think the red stripe would be even better for your tastes.

Try it out first and see if it can get the tones you desire, you may be surprised and I may be mistaken; the black dot could wind up being exactly what you want.

The video I posted two posts up is the same amp I'd be getting.

That tone seems plenty brutal for me. It's just a Guitar -> Amp -> Cab -> Boss NS-2 in loop

I'm actually not into the super high gain stuff, thus why I like my Marshall 6100 so much for metal Less gain is better! It just needs to have a big lowend and I can work from there
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by RG_FANMAN

I don't see how anyone could possibly want more gain than what's in the video clip MatrixClaw posted. When I play metal I go for as little gain as I can get away with. I just make sure I've got enough low end and air moving to knock over a small child.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well... I guess this answers my questions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDJMJLvn824

Brutal as hell, no OD.

Do want

I do want too

That is brutal as hell.

No OD?

I can't really help you and it looks like you found your answer BUT - I gotta ask. What amp are you trading?

Clip sounded good...

Also I've heard some amazing tones out of them in various clips.. They can nail Metallica's tone spot on which impressed me considering the hella racks they run. Seems like a really versatile amp.
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'm familiar with the EQ controls on the Mark series, I have owned a Mark IV. Yes, you need to set the mids and bass pretty low

on the lead channel, i have my mids at 7.5 and bass at 10
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by mmolteratx
I don't see how anyone could possibly want more gain than what's in the video clip MatrixClaw posted. When I play metal I go for as little gain as I can get away with. I just make sure I've got enough low end and air moving to knock over a small child.

i agree with this, the key to metal tone is not using too much gain
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
The amp has quite a bit of gain when cranked it really packs a wallop when live through the right cab. I would get a EQ though because thats when the amp really shines.

Also the amp has a lot a growl/definition and smooth top end.

If your referring to the No stripe/black stripe then I know that one has quite a bit of gain on hand. Not as much as the blue or red stripe but a hell of a lot/ more then what your will need.

So things to get.

Mark III
EQ pedal or rack(what ever you want)
And a boost pedal.

Im planning to get a Xotic RC or AC Booster. for really smooth singing solos.
Gear:

Fractal Axe FX
VHT 2/50/2
Orange 4x12
Voodoo Lab Ground Control Pro

Ibanez RGA 121 w/ Crunchlab and Liquifire
Music Man John Petrucci Mystic Dream
ERG Custom Guitar
Quote by mmolteratx

That made me laugh, but you're spot on! Only reason to add more gain than needed is if it adds a liittle more saturation.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
on the lead channel, i have my mids at 7.5 and bass at 10

Holy hell!

If I put the mids or bass at anything higher than like 5 on my Mark IV, it started flubbing out

Quote by tenaciousjp
The amp has quite a bit of gain when cranked it really packs a wallop when live through the right cab. I would get a EQ though because thats when the amp really shines.

Also the amp has a lot a growl/definition and smooth top end.

If your referring to the No stripe/black stripe then I know that one has quite a bit of gain on hand. Not as much as the blue or red stripe but a hell of a lot/ more then what your will need.

So things to get.

Mark III
EQ pedal or rack(what ever you want)
And a boost pedal.

Im planning to get a Xotic RC or AC Booster. for really smooth singing solos.

Yeah, judging by the clip, it should have more than enough gain for me.

I already have an MXR 108 and a Maxon OD-808, but I really would like the amp to sound how I want without them. That was my problem with my JCM 800, it sounded great by itself, but didn't have enough gain and saturation for my tastes, without adding a boost, so I got rid of it for my 6100, which sounds how I want it to, without anything added.

I use an EQ and a boost to improve the tone of the amp, not to change it into something I want it to sound like
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Holy hell!

If I put the mids or bass at anything higher than like 5 on my Mark IV, it started flubbing out

it's probably like that because the gain and drive are at 8 and pulled. the treble's at 6 though, so it's not overwhelmingly tight. it's great in the bedroom
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008