Lets start first with the reason why I need these. My tone is pretty mushy at times. Its not HORRIBLE but at the same time its not as good as i want it to be too bassy and low end dominated and the high end kinda gets lost. So then which one will be more beneficial, an eq or The Sonic Stomp?
Epiphone Les Paul Ultra II(
"Epicaster" pimped out strat
Fender Blues Jr.
DeltaLab RD1 Rock distortion
Barber handmade USA Direct Drive Overdrive
DeltaLab Stereo chorus
MXR 6 band EQ
eq. no doubt. a sonic stomp is notorious for making your amp sound very digital. and people say its one of those pedals that after using it for a while, it gets old and never gets used.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622
eq. no doubt. a sonic stomp is notorious for making your amp sound very digital. and people say its one of those pedals that after using it for a while, it gets old and never gets used.

Depends...for a SS amp the BBE is the way to go (it really tightens up your sound); however, for a tube amp an EQ in the loop is oftentimes the best.

Best option, IMO, is to get the best amp you can and then an EQ becomes a moot point in most cases. I had a 10-band MXR for years and never used it. I've used a Sonic Stomp on every SS amp I've ever owned, including my JC-120.

What type of cabinet are you using? If you're running through the stock 1x12, plugging into a 2x12 cab will open up your tone quite a bit as the FBJ is a "boxy" amp (the speaker barely fits inside the enclosure). That RD-1 ain't helpin' matters either.
Last edited by suhraddict at Jul 8, 2009,
I just got a 6 Band EQ and wow... took a while (an hour?) to get it right, but I finally got what I wanted. Now if I turn the EQ off (what I THOUGHT sounded good on my amp) sounds... meh. Definitely get an EQ.
If your lows are too "mushy" and your highs are "getting lost" an eq pedal will only increase or decrease those freq's, not make them any clearer.
A BBE will ensure those freq's project out of your speakers more evenly, thus helping them to be heard clearer.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
^as IP said, you could still replicate what the sonic stomp does without the digital mess. I use my EQ like a balancing act, that way i get a nice balance between my highs and lows. so that way my tone clears up without using a sonic stomp.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE