Hey,

Does anybody know of an online store where you can purchase a variety pack of guitar strings. I would really like to try out all the different types (same guage) and see what sounds best.

Also, I got it from a very credible source that guitar brand has zero effect on guitar tone. Any thoughts on this? I'll try to find the video I heard this on but it was a guitar video wholly focused on guitar setup and maintanence.
set up and maintenance play a huge role - but brand isnt just the name, its the craftmanship and products used

ex: Gibson takes all their top woods and uses them for their guitars, then the pieces that do not meet Gibsons standards get used by Epiphone. Still good guitars, but using inferior products and are built by less veteran builders

player also makes a big difference, give a highly talented guitarist a no name guitar and give a intermediate player a top of the line Fender or Gibson, the more talented guitarist will obviously sound better

to answer your question, just go to a shop and buy a few brands at a time, and change your strings every few weeks to get a feel for each brand till you find what you like

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I wouldn't fully believe that guitar brand has no effect on tone. I've had three different acoustic guitars, and I have always used the same elixir strings of the same gauge and they have all had different tones.
Quote by jakeman1086
Hey,

Does anybody know of an online store where you can purchase a variety pack of guitar strings. I would really like to try out all the different types (same guage) and see what sounds best.

Also, I got it from a very credible source that guitar brand has zero effect on guitar tone. Any thoughts on this? I'll try to find the video I heard this on but it was a guitar video wholly focused on guitar setup and maintanence.

I definately think that strings have a huge part in the process, but to say that the guitar make, and there-by, the guitar build, has nothing to do with tone seems silly. There's a reason that guitars use different woods. But that's just my opinion.
I must have phrased that poorly. I meant to say that the guitar string brand has no effect on tone - not the guitar itself. That is just ridiculous, I agree.
strings do make a difference in tone

I just restrung my new acoustic last night - it came with D'addarios, and I use Elixr's - there was a noticable difference

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Ya, I think what the guy in the video was saying was all other factors aside (guage, type (round-wound, etc)), brand makes no difference. His point was that all the makers get the core materials from the same sources and stuff. I'll need to find the video.

My thinking was that I could avoid the brand factor and just focus on trying out the different types of strings available. Quality would probably be the only brand related factor. Also, brand-exclusive factors like nanoweb.

Does this sound reasonable? I'm pretty confident in the sources knowledge on the subject. I just wanted to make sure that I was interpreting what he was saying correctly.