I recently upgraded my amp to a decent tube and my tele has now started to sound like crap.

I bought a squire tele when I first decided to play. I then progressed into a Jackson Dinky but for the style of music I like to play now the tele still sounds better. (other than the hum)

I have been on ebay, warmoth and a couple other sites that sell parts. I was thinking of piecing my own rig up one piece at a time.

What parts should I buy for the best value first?

I really want to get rid of that hum, so I was thinking new electronics, but a neck might get me better performance in the tone.

I'm so new at this I don't know where to start. Please point me in the right direction. The help I received when picking out my amp was priceless!

I play mostly blues and alt rock. When I want to get some crunch I will pick up my Jackson, for this rig I want a deep creamy blues sound with a bit of bite.

Thanks!
well those single coils will hum because of oustide interference with the magnetic field. if you really want to get rid of it you could buy noiseless single coil pickups or install humbuckers. The neck wont do too much for the tone and that would be a bitch of an install. what amp do you have?

you could go with fender vintage noiseless or some dimarzios

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Last edited by REV3LATI0N at Jul 8, 2009,
Dude i think some EMG pickups would get rid of the hum...they are a humbucker in a single coil size...then do the 18v mod and you would be rocking pretty greatly.
id stay away from emgs and active pickups with the type of music you play...

PRS SE Custom w/ Duncans
Classic Vibe 50's Strat
Egnater Rebel 20
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Crate v18-112 w/ Eminence Private Jack

USSR Big Muff Pi
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss BD-2
Vox Wah
Guitar Rig 3

DO NØT CLICK THÏS LINK

Hook 'em
Quote by njohnsen
What parts should I buy for the best value first?

I really want to get rid of that hum, so I was thinking new electronics, but a neck might get me better performance in the tone.

I'm so new at this I don't know where to start. Please point me in the right direction.

If hum is the big problem then shielding your tele is the most "bang-for-your-buck" thing you can do: http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

Once you've done that, then see what upgrades you still want to address.
Last edited by cedricsmods at Jul 8, 2009,
Nice!

I'm checking out that guitarnuts.com site. I will do that first and see where it gets me.

If I were to purchase a neck or a body, what would you go for first?

Answer to other questions:
I have a Carvin Nomad 112 50W
Quote by Hd94
Dude i think some EMG pickups would get rid of the hum...they are a humbucker in a single coil size...then do the 18v mod and you would be rocking pretty greatly.

NO! EMG for Alt. and Blues in a Tele.

REV3LATI0N has a better idea. I know Seymour Duncan has some stacked singles but it might take away from the Tele sound and your cleans a little depending on which you get. I haven't looked at many besides the Hot Rails.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by cedricsmods
If hum is the big problem then shielding your tele is the most "bang-for-your-buck" thing you can do: http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

Once you've done that, then see what upgrades you still want to address.

This.

You're always gonna have some hum, but a good shielding job will help. If you're going for the classic single-coil Telecaster sound, I'd stay away from any humbuckers myself and live with the noise or go for a set of Fender SCN or Bill Lawrence pickups (my own future intentions).
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by SwamperGene
This.

You're always gonna have some hum, but a good shielding job will help. If you're going for the classic single-coil Telecaster sound, I'd stay away from any humbuckers myself and live with the noise or go for a set of Fender SCN or Bill Lawrence pickups (my own future intentions).

i have SCN's in my MIM tele... sounds like sex