Hi i want to know something about the pickups of ibanez's rga32 and rga42. They are active and i want to make it passive. Is that possible? I dont want to play with stock pickups and i dont want active pickups either. How can I do it? Also is there a chance to change the eq switch in the rga42 to something different?
Its definitely possible. Dont know what your experience is with a soldering iron but you could do it yourself with a little know how. I havent been inside one of these so I'll have to speculate. Step one buy new pickups (check out Seymour Duncan, and Dimarzio). Step 2 Find a wiring diagram that include the 3 way switch and a mini toggle. If you wanted you could use the mini toggle as a coil tap, with the right pickups of course, and get some nice single coil sounds. Probably going to have to replace the volume and tone pots as the values for the pots are different from active to passive pickups. So yes but it would take some work, or some money if you have a tech do it. You should probably head over to GB&C and Invader Jim and some those guys would probably be glad to give you more details.
Last edited by fretz86 at Jul 8, 2009,
to change from active to passive you'll need new pots, output jack, and you'll need to ground the guitar. and you can change the eq switch to whatever you want
Why dont you just get a different guitar that suits your needs ?????????
Quote by sstony

I already have one and also i cant find a guitar like that in that price range.
Quote by blind.quardian
I already have one and also i cant find a guitar like that in that price range.

OK, I thought those sounded pretty good to me when I was testing those guitars but it´s all a matter of personal taste.
Quote by sstony

because stock pickups from mid range guitars are usually sub standard and will never meet the user requirements. meh it's a small price to have an almost perfect guitar