Hi, so I've been playing for about 2 years. First year was completely self-taught. Then in the second year I started going to Jazz school.

Of course I learnt alot in Jazz school. Improved my technique way more and have much better theory knowledge. Know how to improvise, all that stuff.

I have this 3 hour and a half schedule I've been doing everyday for quite some time with all kinds of exercises, apart from normal practice. But I still feel I'm a real beginner.

I can't play songs like The Trooper or Tornado of Souls, which everyone I know can play. And most of them don't even had one single lesson in their lives.

I mean, from everyone I know, I'm probably the one with the best theory knowledge. I have good technique I think and know a lot about it, also. I kind of give lessons to everyone of my friends. I help them with their technique, composing songs and all kind of stuff, but they're just better than me when it comes to playing songs.

What's wrong with me?
just keep playing. for music sometimes it take 6-8 months where you're not really seeing improvement and then BAM! you can suddenly do a million things you couldn't do before. your fingers are just getting stronger and better. just keep playing and it'll fall into place eventually. best of luck!
Dude, believe me I know EXACTLY how you feel.

I have almost the exact same story. but the way I look at it, I love to play, whether im as good as my friends or not, even if their better than me and always will be, I still know I enjoy playing so much that I wont ever put it down.
Nothing is wrong with you.

One piece of advice I learnt from UG was that getting better at guitar is like watching your hair grow longer in the mirror day by day. You mightn't see the changes instantly but every day it's getting there.

If you keep playing 3 and a half hours per day just on the performance side, you'll be good very quickly.
For sale
BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic in Koa
Dean VMNT in Silver
Marshall TSL JCM2000 Head

PM For info!

My band
Dont worry about what you cant do, focus on what you can do. Ive been playing for 15 years and i see kids who are prodigys but dont put the work in so they fall behind kids who are totally hopeless but try like a bear.

Its cliched but practice practice practice
Since you know so much about theory, dont take pride in the songs that you can play, but the music you can create
You Are Now Aware Of Your Own Breathing
Quote by conquistador
Since you know so much about theory, dont take pride in the songs that you can play, but the music you can create

this is a great advice

but also, those songs you named are very fast (for someone who's been playing for 2 years)
are you good playing complex but slow songs?
Don't worry man you will get there , it's better to be practising like you are and making sure you are going to nail the stuff rather than just rushing into it !

Those songs are quite fast tho , what sort of things do you usually play and yeah write you own music since u got good theory knowledge !!!
Like someone mentioned earlier, keep practicing and there will be a BAM!!!!!! and you'll play it perfectly.

i had ALOT of problems with tapping and fast galloping riffs on the E string, i kept practicing eventho it sounded **** all the time, now 2 years later i nail the songs i thought i'd NEVER be able to play
Why can't you play The Trooper or Tornado of Souls? Have you sat down and gave it a good try yet?
I'm curious about your three hour schedule. Chances are if its the same thing every day, itll be hard to improve, you need to do different things.

Try spending more time learning the songs you want to play. Practicing the A minor scale up and down 14 times won't make it easier to learn the songs you want.
Nothing wrong..
I suggest don't compare yourself with "I can play XXXX song",etc. because it's all about practice of THIS song.
Compare yourself to others (if you think it's important ) with improvisation, theory,etc.
Trust me, I tought I sucked (when a friend was playing Dee by Randy Rhoads) but after 1week I got it

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
if you're aiming to become a musician (which it seems like you are since you're going to jazz school) i think it's more important to have the kind of knowledge you have; theory, composition, and improvisation. playing fast, difficult songs showcases a lot of physical and technical talent, but unless you can really 'understand' what you're playing, what good is it? i find it infinitely more fulfilling to write a song myself than to learn one somebody else wrote, even if it's more difficult. i'm not trying to say learning covers isn't important or beneficial, but just because you can't play certain songs that other people can doesn't mean you aren't talented or that you aren't making progress.
Quote by Sashaafm
Hi, so I've been playing for about 2 years. First year was completely self-taught. Then in the second year I started going to Jazz school.

Of course I learnt alot in Jazz school. Improved my technique way more and have much better theory knowledge. Know how to improvise, all that stuff.

I have this 3 hour and a half schedule I've been doing everyday for quite some time with all kinds of exercises, apart from normal practice. But I still feel I'm a real beginner.

I can't play songs like The Trooper or Tornado of Souls, which everyone I know can play. And most of them don't even had one single lesson in their lives.

I mean, from everyone I know, I'm probably the one with the best theory knowledge. I have good technique I think and know a lot about it, also. I kind of give lessons to everyone of my friends. I help them with their technique, composing songs and all kind of stuff, but they're just better than me when it comes to playing songs.

What's wrong with me?

Not going to bother reading the other posts on this one..

You know a lot of technique stuff and theory eh? Hey, me too! I can explain how to do different stuff pretty well, but to actually be perfect on it is often hard for me. Knowledge is one thing, to do it is another. I think your problem is you've spent too much time worrying about technique(s) and theory. But you need those right? Of course! But you need to learn SONGS. You don't just need to write them, you need to LEARN songs. Sure, you have exercises, and they help a lot. But learning songs will help you a lot. Just start learning songs while still working on your exercises and all that. It should help a lot.

I've thought to myself time and time again, why am I not amazing like my friend? Finally I realised, I have THIS stuff down, but I wasn't doing ENOUGH. You may be doing 3 hours or more a day which is all good and well. But you have to constantly be doing new exercises, old exercises, new songs, and old songs. You need to watch how you are playing and make sure you aren't screwing up. Read anything about correct practice and this: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/correct_practice/your_growth_as_a_guitarist_vertical_or_horizontal.html
Ya i've been trying to play songs like sugar by system of a down and i just cant get the main chorus and stuff. I keep trying but its not happening im a beginner too. So do i just keep trying?
Quote by National_Anthem
Girls > guitar