I need to upgrade the crappy amp that came as a pack with my electric guitar. Now, as a relative newbie, I'm still experimenting with different sounds and styles. So I've been contemplating getting a modelling amp with built in effects like a Cube 30X or a Vox VT30.

Alternatively, I could get a multi effects unit like a Line 6 POD. Of course, that would still leave me stuck with my crappy 5w amp. But I could run a multi effects through my headphones for the time being. I don't really have the cash at the moment for a new amp and an multi-effects.

I'm pretty much a bedroom player, with no grand ambitions for anything else.
I'd go for a Peavey Vyper.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
If you live in Northern Ireland which is unlikey I'll sell you my Cube 30X, which is rather a good step up from a starter amp.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Buy yourself a better amp.

about 50 watts will do you. If you want sounds, look for an amp with plenty of on-board effects.
hey, similar situation here. i am replacing my crappy fender 15 watter with something a little better, nothing too big or expensive cause im a poor student and i move alot. i play everything from classic rock & blues to metal, and sometimes acoustic thru my amp.

anyway, today i played a marshall mg30fx and a vox valvetronic vt30. both about the price i'm looking for ($300 ish canadian), they both sounded pretty good. both have built in effects, although the vox has way more. thing is, they're both brand new models (replacing the vox ad30vt and marshall mg30dfx) so i can hardly find any review on either, but what i have found is good.

so long story short... anyone have experience with either of them? or suggest something better in a similar price range?

edit... and to tyberious funk up there -- I'd go for an amp with built in effects rather than the pedal. because that 5 watt amp sounds like a piece of ****. there's probably no point in buying a multi effects processor unless you have a decent amp to play it thru
Last edited by pb&guitar at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by pb&guitar
hey, similar situation here. i am replacing my crappy fender 15 watter with something a little better, nothing too big or expensive cause im a poor student and i move alot. i play everything from classic rock & blues to metal, and sometimes acoustic thru my amp.

anyway, today i played a marshall mg30fx and a vox valvetronic vt30. both about the price i'm looking for ($300 ish canadian), they both sounded pretty good. both have built in effects, although the vox has way more. thing is, they're both brand new models (replacing the vox ad30vt and marshall mg30dfx) so i can hardly find any review on either, but what i have found is good.

so long story short... anyone have experience with either of them? or suggest something better in a similar price range?

edit... and to tyberious funk up there -- I'd go for an amp with built in effects rather than the pedal. because that 5 watt amp sounds like a piece of ****. there's probably no point in buying a multi effects processor unless you have a decent amp to play it thru

Hmmm

well, the drive and the effects on the marshall arent that great. The Vox is pretty good, I would definitely choose it over the MG. imo, the Peavey Vyper beats both though. Check it out.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by pb&guitar

Yeah, I forgot to add the Marshall. The MG30FX, along with the Vox VT30 and the Cube, are roughly in the $400-$500 range in Australian pesos. But I can't find much on the Marshall, other than a blanket opinion that any MG model blows chunks. Who knows if that applies to newer models?

The advantage to multi effect is that I can plug into my headphones, which I'm already using 60%-70% of the time. And a reasonably portable multi effects unit, like the Line 6 POD, I can drag with me to my friend's place, and plug into HIS amp.

And of course, I could by the multi effects this year, and then a decent amp next year.
that's true. depends on the money you have to spend and what you're using it for i guess...

anyway i think it'll be the vox for me. it costs a couple bucks more but there's way better effects, and while they both sounded decent (to me) the vt30 has way more tonal possibilites thanks to those 22 amp models. as for the cube... i havent had a chance to play one, but i have heard good things