Page 1 of 2
Alright so i currently have a 75 watt line 6 its nice gets loads of feedback on the higher gain channels though .( metal, insane ) and my birhtday is coming up and i kinda want to get a half stack and my local music store guy has a deal goin for me with a 125 watt line 6 head ( no tube i guess line 6 doesn't make tube heads at least thats what he told me so this one isint a tube ) and it has some off brand cabinet. this isnt a big jump in watts so i didnt know if i should do it. So he said if i traded him my current line 6 and like an extra 200 i could get it im just wonderin if i should do this or just save up more so i can get a tube marshall stack ( this would take a lot longer to save up probably another year ). So lets hear your thoughts.
Guitars- Ibanez rgx digital snow camo
Amplifiers- Randall 125 watt halfstack ( payed 350 for the stack )
[quote="warlockboy]Alright so i currently have a 75 watt line 6 its nice gets loads of feedback on the higher gain channels though .( metal, insane ) and my birhtday is coming up and i kinda want to get a half stack and my local music store guy has a deal goin for me with a 125 watt line 6 head ( no tube i guess line 6 doesn't make tube heads at least thats what he told me so this one isint a tube ) and it has some off brand cabinet. this isnt a big jump in watts so i didnt know if i should do it. So he said if i traded him my current line 6 and like an extra 200 i could get it im just wonderin if i should do this or just save up more so i can get a tube marshall stack ( this would take a lot longer to save up probably another year ). So lets hear your thoughts.

You don't like your current amp, so you are going to buy the bigger version of the same thing?
I say no unless its a 125 watt non-spider head. The spider series is terrible. And Line 6 does actually make heads with tubes. I think you should try out some different brands.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by warlockboy
Alright so i currently have a 75 watt line 6 its nice gets loads of feedback on the higher gain channels though .( metal, insane ) and my birhtday is coming up and i kinda want to get a half stack and my local music store guy has a deal goin for me with a 125 watt line 6 head ( no tube i guess line 6 doesn't make tube heads at least thats what he told me so this one isint a tube ) and it has some off brand cabinet. this isnt a big jump in watts so i didnt know if i should do it. So he said if i traded him my current line 6 and like an extra 200 i could get it im just wonderin if i should do this or just save up more so i can get a tube marshall stack ( this would take a lot longer to save up probably another year ). So lets hear your thoughts.

No, don't do it, it won't sound any better than your current amp, this would be useless
And also, 2 things
1) you don't need a half stack
2) There are cheaper alternative to TeH MarChaLZ TOObz AMpZ!
save up for a tube head then get a halfstack

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
Quote by GNRjungle87
You don't like your current amp, so you are going to buy the bigger version of the same thing?

I never said i didn't like it i just need something louder.
Have you just heard old people in the past say "Marshall stacks are the end all be all of amps" (I bet you don't even have a model in mind) and that's why you want one? You could likely do better for yourself if you just look around. Also, don't get the same POS amp you already have.
Its not like im going OMG MARSHALL THATS MUST BE ITS AWEEEEESOME!!!!!!!!! I actually like the tone.
Quote by warlockboy
Its not like im going OMG MARSHALL THATS MUST BE ITS AWEEEEESOME!!!!!!!!! I actually like the tone.

Yeah, but a JCM800 with a 4x12 under it and a JVM with a 4x12 under it are going to sound miles apart. I don't really understand why people generalize an entire brand by saying things like "Marshall stack" when half of them sound so completely different.
Line 6 Spiders are horrible. Don't waste your money on another overpriced practice amp when it's the same exact thing. Why do you say your amp isn't loud enough? What are you using it for?

No offense, but more than likely, Marshall doesn't have the tone you're looking for if you use the Metal and Insane channel on your Line 6. My guess is, you've never even tried a Marshall but just see them everywhere so you want one. Most of the well thought of Marshalls don't have anywhere close to the amount of gain you'd get on your Line 6, and the tone is somewhat of an acquired taste when it comes to boosting one for metal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Line 6 Spiders are horrible. Don't waste your money on another overpriced practice amp when it's the same exact thing. Why do you say your amp isn't loud enough? What are you using it for?

No offense, but more than likely, Marshall doesn't have the tone you're looking for if you use the Metal and Insane channel on your Line 6. My guess is, you've never even tried a Marshall but just see them everywhere so you want one. Most of the well thought of Marshalls don't have anywhere close to the amount of gain you'd get on your Line 6, and the tone is somewhat of an acquired taste when it comes to boosting one for metal.

i have tried marshalls and i do like them i figured with a metal zone pedal by boss and then somethin to equal out feedback it would sound good. And nice mesa MatrixClaw
Last edited by warlockboy at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by warlockboy
i have tried marshalls and i do like them i figured with a metal zone pedal by boss and then somethin to equal out feedback it would sound good.

Oh boy.

What is your budget, we'll suggest you an amp that will kill any Marshall being pushed with a Metalzone, one of the worst pedals ever made.
I just said metal zone because it was the only metal pedal i could think of okay lets say 300-500$ and i have that amp to trade in or sell to.
Quote by warlockboy
i have tried marshalls and i do like them i figured with a metal zone pedal by boss and then somethin to equal out feedback it would sound good. And nice mesa MatrixClaw

Putting a distortion pedal in front of an amp like that would completely kill the tone

I'd be willing to bet the tone you'd be looking for is something similar to a Peavey 5150, not a Marshall.

You can get a 5150 in your price range. Sell your combo and take the cash you have right now and buy a used combo. You might also look into a used Mesa Mark III, F-50 or DC-5.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Just for your information, you can a get a true Marshall half stack for $1500>. New JCM 2000 DSL's go for $1200 - $1300, and you can manage to get a used JCM 900 head and used 1960A cab for $1300 - $1500 (the JCM 900 is better in my opinion.) JVM's aren't the only Marshall tube stacks.

Anyway, time to move back to your price range.

The cheapest solution is a B-52 AT112. Its a 1x12 combo, but don't consider that as a reason for it not to be a good amp. It is a great amp for the price.

For $500 - $600, you might be able to snag a used Marshall JCM 2000 DSL or TSL if you are lucky, otherwise most of them go for $600 - $700. Used Peavey 5150's (and eventually 6505+'s, if you would rather buy new) combos go for $500 - $600 as well.

I am considering you play rock or metal, and I know these amps will suit you.

If you have any further questions, just ask us. Welcome to the army of gear nerds, my friend. Once you stay in GG&A, you won't leave.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Ok, why would you buy an amp that is known for his distorsion and use with a distorsion pedal, whatever the pedal is, just for thinking about it you deserve a

Now, with 500$ I would look for a used amp, hunte your craiglist, you never know what you can find, you could fall on a sweet deal
Quote by MatrixClaw
Putting a distortion pedal in front of an amp like that would completely kill the tone

I'd be willing to bet the tone you'd be looking for is something similar to a Peavey 5150, not a Marshall.

You can get a 5150 in your price range. Sell your combo and take the cash you have right now and buy a used combo. You might also look into a used Mesa Mark III, F-50 or DC-5.

Yes, this.

What model Marshalls do you most like the sound of?
My advice is.......
Listen to MatrixClaw. He knows what hes talking about.

Anyways, a 5150 or a B-52 at-112 would both be great amps for you...... I don't know how much you're actually considering our opinions, but hopefully you'll learn something here..... I don't want to see a NAD Line 6 Spider stack thread here in a few months.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
As it's been stated already, the Line 6 spiders are really mediocre. If you're looking for a tube amp for less than $500, I'd say the Peavey Valveking 112 or Peavey Vypyr 60 Watt Tube (I'm not sure if these are out just yet, though) if you like onboard effects. I've had a lot of people recommend buying used equipment to me. You can get a Peavey Valveking Head for under $500 used if you really want a half-stack. As for a cabinet, you can probably find a ysed 4x12 Crate cabinet or something for around $150 or less. It sounds like tubes are a major concern for you. If not, Randall makes pretty good, high-gain solid state heads for around $500-ish.

Now, I'm not sure if these all of the tube amps will have enough gain for you. Personally, I don't really like those metal boss pedals. You could always have the gain settings pretty high on the amp and then just have a tubescreamer or regular distortion pedal in front of it.

Of course, I'm not very qualified to say this stuff, or at least not as qualified as most other posters in this thread. That's just my two cents.
I don't see why every one hates line 6 amps is it because of all the built in effects? do you prefer pedals? But anyway ya im goin to see what kind of peavys i can get because matrix is jizzin in his pants about it so ill play a couple of them.
Quote by warlockboy
I don't see why every one hates line 6 amps is it because of all the built in effects? do you prefer pedals? But anyway ya im goin to see what kind of peavys i can get because matrix is jizzin in his pants about it so ill play a couple of them.

tbh the built in effects are a plus even though they arent of great quality. the problem with line 6 amps is their tone. the spider III is one of worst sounding amps i have ever heard. the only amps that sound worse cost a fraction of the price. with that in mind, the valve spider isnt bad althought there are better options for the price.
Marshalls will not NOT give you brutal metal tones. The best you can do is run something like a Metal Muff in front of it and you'll get a pretty heavy tone, but it somehow makes the amp give this fuzz-like response. I dig it, but whatever.

As far as metal goes on a Marshall if you're hellbent on a Marshall are the JVM series. But Peavey>Marshall in the metal department.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400
Marshall 1987 JCM-800 2210 100W

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Quote by Weeping_Demon7
Marshalls will not NOT give you brutal metal tones. The best you can do is run something like a Metal Muff in front of it and you'll get a pretty heavy tone, but it somehow makes the amp give this fuzz-like response. I dig it, but whatever.

As far as metal goes on a Marshall if you're hellbent on a Marshall are the JVM series. But Peavey>Marshall in the metal department.

listen to weeping demon, he knows what it's about
Quote by ATREYUFAN4LIFE

lol wowow you guys dont know good music then... get out of your deth metal and screamo ruts and listen to something that has emotion in the music...

Call me Mike, all my friends do.
Quote by warlockboy

People hate Line 6 Spiders, there's a difference.

My Line 6 Vetta is still my favorite amp of all the ones I've owned, and that's A LOT

Quote by Weeping_Demon7

I beg to differ.

JVMs are mediocre at best, I'm not a fan, but I know a lot of people like them; they definitely have enough gain for metal though. JCM800s can sound great with a boost in front, but it's a pretty high end heavy tone without a good bit of tweaking. DSLs ****ing rip with an OD in front of them IMO.

My 6100 is a metal machine. The 2203KK is also pretty sweet for metal.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
OMG LOL... wow Marshall`s can`t do metal eh.... thats a joke.

i can get whatever brutal tone you want out of my *MARSHALL* JCM 900

Warlockboy... see if you can find a Marshall JCM900 combo amp, i perfer the EL34`s but most 900`s came with the 6L6 tubes... which is more for a modern metal tone. if you go this route i highly recommed the MXR 108 10 band EQ.

if you can save up $1500 you can find a Marshall JCM 900 4500/4100 1/2 stack which is what my band has and they are killer amps, either one will rip your face off. IF you have really low output pickups you may need to boost the amp with a tube screamer but i`d highly recommed EMG pickups and then you wont have a problem with gain from your guitar.
Get a used 2x12 Peavey 5150 combo amp. You should be able to find one for a decent price on Ebay so that's where I would start looking. A Randall 50TGC is another good option if you want metal tone on the cheap.

I'd stay far away from Line 6 stuff. I've never been impressed with the tone of Line 6 amps, and they always seem to break in my experiences.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by warlockboy

correction, people here hate line 6 spider amps, the flextones/Vetta/SpiderValves are honestly miles better than the abomination thats the Spider 3.

also + 1 to matrixClaw
Quote by Demonikk
'Practice amp' = amp you practice with? In my case, Peavey 6505+ and 4x12
I don't do things small

Except children.
spider III and spider valve, flextone and vetta are another story, almost like JCMs and MGs
In your price range you could easily get a used 5150 or 6505, which will do what you want. Also, look into Bugera.

On the topic of the Metal Zone, don't do it- they sound like bees.
Quote by MatrixClaw

yea, hes right AGAIN. ONe day matrixclaw, one day you will be wrong!(you will never be wrong)
Get a Blackstar, cheap, but not cheerful...they're amazing.

As you can see, I'm very happy with mine.
Quote by warlockboy
I never said i didn't like it i just need something louder.

Why do you need louder than 75W?!
Quote by warlockboy
( no tube i guess line 6 doesn't make tube heads at least thats what he told me so this one isint a tube ) .

Don't buy from this guy. He's an idiot.

You're best bet is craigslist and ebay. Give us your closest major city and we'll find you something. Otherwise, listen to MatrixClaw and get a used 5150 or Triple X.
Quote by IbanezPsycho

(F*ck it im tired of dealing with line 6 spider and MG owners)

I C WUT U DID THAR
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by MatrixClaw
People hate Line 6 Spiders, there's a difference.

My Line 6 Vetta is still my favorite amp of all the ones I've owned, and that's A LOT

I beg to differ.

JVMs are mediocre at best, I'm not a fan, but I know a lot of people like them; they definitely have enough gain for metal though. JCM800s can sound great with a boost in front, but it's a pretty high end heavy tone without a good bit of tweaking. DSLs ****ing rip with an OD in front of them IMO.

My 6100 is a metal machine. The 2203KK is also pretty sweet for metal.

But I'm saying that when it comes to the real "chugg chugg nu-metal", Marshall can't get it. I have a Marshall JCM 800, I know what I'm talking about here. They are great for thrash and Slayer and what not, but it's still not brutal like a lot of people like.

Edit: Haven't tried out the 6100 series yet, but I still doubt they can pull off real heavy stuff.
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Last edited by Weeping_Demon7 at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by Weeping_Demon7
But I'm saying that when it comes to the real "chugg chugg nu-metal", Marshall can't get it. I have a Marshall JCM 800, I know what I'm talking about here. They are great for thrash and Slayer and what not, but it's still not brutal like a lot of people like.

Edit: Haven't tried out the 6100 series yet, but I still doubt they can pull off real heavy stuff.

I traded a 2203 for my 6100. It could easily pull off "chugg chugg nu-metal" with a boost. More of a chainsaw/grind sound, but it had no problem doing metal, I just got rid of it cause I don't like having to boost an amp to get the tone I want.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

I traded a 2203 for my 6100. It could easily pull off "chugg chugg nu-metal" with a boost. More of a chainsaw/grind sound, but it had no problem doing metal, I just got rid of it cause I don't like having to boost an amp to get the tone I want.

Did you trade your 6100 back?
GEAR
Epiphone SG-400

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

Page 1 of 2