Page 1 of 3
Howdy everyone, as some of you will know I am living in California for 4 month, I am in San Diego for a few months then hopefull going to San Fransisco for a few weeks and maybe L.A ( I want to meet a Hollywood film producer there, my uni film course had a tele conference with him) then back down to San Diego to get my flight back.

First things first, this is not a bash America thread, I am only telling you what I have observed. Second, I have only been here for a week so this is largely first impressions and third, I am only commenting on San Diego so what I say may not be true for other parts of the US.

1. WTF is up with the cars! Every second vehicle is an S.U.V, its crazy!
2. The heat is insane, I'm slowly getting used to it but damn is it nice, I actuall miss the cold back home, you look forward to sunny days!
3. The T.V, what can I say, its, interesting to say the least, the adverts consist mainly of fast food, by the way, 2 big macs for $3.50! I mainly watch TBS, has all the awesome US comedy shows, I've discovered the joy of Seinfield!
4. The people here can be really nice, havent encountered a rude person yet.

For all you Brits out there, the accent will get you noticed and some girls do like it but I havent really had a chance to talk to them yet

Thats all for now
It's the other way around here. Here, in England, they say, "[my name], you sound so different and strange" and then they have the impression that every other word I say is, "dude" so when I try to talk to somebody, they'll say something like "Duuude, like, there was, like, this time, like, I listened to RAWWWWK m00sic."

Every time that happens, I die a little on the inside.

Having long hair when I first moved here didn't help overcome that stereotype.
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
San Diego is an amazing city.

What part of San Diego are you visiting?
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
I'm currently in Pacific Beach (not sure if I should give my details here, PM me if you want to hang out!) I've been to Downtown (awesome place, went to this crazy mall, cant remember the name but it was on 4th ave) to apply for my social security number which was on Front Street, seeing as I don't have a car I get the bus and walk to places.
Ah, PB. Definitely scope out the beach. If you can, you should check out Mission Beach, as well. It's the primary 'touristy' beach, and is where almost everyone goes. Plenty to do there.

If you frequent downtown and have a free afternoon and some cash, you should catch a Padres game. Not the greatest team right now, but the atmosphere and Petco Park in general makes for a very nice way to spend an afternoon.
Back to the classic avatar.

Quote by KISSguitarist
You are the best writer ever Graybass. Sig me for that. But i love you! You should make a book!

Quote by Phil_Bass_Boy
Jesus christ, your avatar is the best I have seen in my life.

Quote by mh400nt
Graybass_20x6 has a better avatar than you
Quote by Karvid
It's the other way around here. Here, in England, they say, "[my name], you sound so different and strange" and then they have the impression that every other word I say is, "dude" so when I try to talk to somebody, they'll say something like "Duuude, like, there was, like, this time, like, I listened to RAWWWWK m00sic."

I abhor people who use "dude" and "like" excessively
When you go up to San Francisco you might be interested in going to Haight-Ashbury.
Haha i noticed all the same things you just listed when i was in the US.. its like a competition with the suvs and trucks.. you have to get a bigger one than your neighbour haha. i miss being able to get 2 mcchickens and chips for $3 tho.. it was insanely hot when i was in santa barbara.. and apart from the homeless people everyone i met was friendly as and helpful. and san francisco is a real cool city, its so laid back there
Last edited by ElliotTW2K6 at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by Karvid

I live in and was born in Britain and have to live with this stereotype.

It's funny when you get to facepalm when they start the whole bad California accent thing after saying you like Led Zeppelin.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
He's complaining about the heat in California and he hasn't been to the Deep South. It's just as hot as California and humid as hell.
Quote by sugar_daddy
Howdy everyone, as some of you will know I am living in California for 4 month, I am in San Diego for a few months then hopefull going to San Fransisco for a few weeks and maybe L.A ( I want to meet a Hollywood film producer there, my uni film course had a tele conference with him) then back down to San Diego to get my flight back.

First things first, this is not a bash America thread, I am only telling you what I have observed. Second, I have only been here for a week so this is largely first impressions and third, I am only commenting on San Diego so what I say may not be true for other parts of the US.

1. WTF is up with the cars! Every second vehicle is an S.U.V, its crazy!
2. The heat is insane, I'm slowly getting used to it but damn is it nice, I actuall miss the cold back home, you look forward to sunny days!
3. The T.V, what can I say, its, interesting to say the least, the adverts consist mainly of fast food, by the way, 2 big macs for $3.50! I mainly watch TBS, has all the awesome US comedy shows, I've discovered the joy of Seinfield!
4. The people here can be really nice, havent encountered a rude person yet.

For all you Brits out there, the accent will get you noticed and some girls do like it but I havent really had a chance to talk to them yet

Thats all for now

1. the SUVs are actually a way to replace station wagons and minivans for the soccer mom population which is increasing by a rate of 35% each year. wiki: canyonero
2. san diego is an awfully hot city. other cities can get really cold. or you can be in chicago and experience extremely hot weather in the summer and extremely cold weather in the winter. no middle ground for us, unfortunately .
3. no comment
4. you're in san diego and you'll probably have a better experience in san francisco. just wait until you reach los angeles. most highly populated areas such as los angeles, new york city, and chicago can have rude people running around all over the area, especially at night when most citizens are intoxicated.
Sent from my iPad.
I would say the SUV trend is decreasing everywhere except California for some reason ...

Oh yeah and if you go to LA, watch out for the hood.
Last edited by Flann at Jul 9, 2009,
yeah I noticed that when I was on holiday in Florida a few years ago.

Its like, jeep jeep pickup truck pickup truck jeep jeep jeep jeep car jeep pick up pick up pick up

I found them to be very friendly too, asking me if Scotland was really like Braveheart and so on.
Somewhere I'd like to visit again.

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by nospacesallowed
San Diego > the rest of the world

+1

love san diego
Holy **** You're in PB!?

I recognize you sugardaddy because I lurk (with the occasional post) in the Gaming thread. I live in San Diego and find quite funny that you are in Pacific Beach of all places. That has to be a hell of a culture shock because that is the most Bro-ish, most surfer laden place in San Diego you could be. That being said there is very good food there and the girls are quite hot. It's just a shame that like 70% of the people there are pretty trashy.

I live in La Jolla which is really close to Pacific Beach. If you need anything let me know. Although I'm in France till September for an internship so don't expect me to be able to give you much more than advice until then .

Also you will probably enjoy your time better in San Fran.
"You can't fight in here, this is a war room!"- Dr. Strangelove
Quote by Grimmy101
When you go up to San Francisco you might be interested in going to Haight-Ashbury.
Haight-Ashbury sucks so hard. The rest of San Francisco is cool though.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by sugar_daddy
Anyone been to Belmont Park in San Diego?

Going up there this weekend, I live in San Diego. Glad to see you like it here
GEAR:
MiM Fender Stratocaster
Crate GLX212 120 Watt amp
Boss CH.......

You don't care do you?

CLUB SANDWICHES, NOT SEALS
IIIIIIIIIIIExplosions and Boobs. IIIIIIIIIIIII

...mmm, grass
If you think San Diegay is great, wait till you get your ass to Northern California. The greater half of California.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
If you think San Diegay is great, wait till you get your ass to Northern California. The greater half of California.

Hell ya Nor Cal> So Cal!!!!!!
Quote by darkstar2466

That's kinda like saying syphilis > gonorrhea.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I do not believe the Cornish accent could get you attention anywhere, even in America. Dev.+Corn. accent is the same as a pirates, and pirates have scurvy.
NOPE.
Last edited by charvel_man at Jul 9, 2009,
Quote by Jackal58

From personal experience I can tell you that syphilis > gonorrhea.
People started getting rid of their SUVs last year when gas prices began to soar. Goes to show how many there were in the US that they're still everywhere.
Quote by diminishedtobme
From personal experience I can tell you that syphilis > gonorrhea.

That may well be true but who wants either of them???
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by sugar_daddy
I could get pitty sex

I only have a slight Cornish/pirate accent, I can easily hide it

NOPE.
Quote by Jackal58

Hey! You live in the middle of nowhere. NorCal > you.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by sugar_daddy
I could get pitty sex

I only have a slight Cornish/pirate accent, I can easily hide it

Why would you want to hide that!

Pirate accents are the best.

Yarr, I be looking for two big macs. I hear yee have a deal no?

Oh yea! How cool is it to get powerade with your McDonalds! Over here McDonalds don't give you the choice for powerade

PSN ID: ArranP
Quote by apmaman
Why would you want to hide that!

Pirate accents are the best.

Yarr, I be looking for two big macs. I hear yee have a deal no?

Oh yea! How cool is it to get powerade with your McDonalds! Over here McDonalds don't give you the choice for powerade

We get Irn-Bru
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Quote by darkstar2466
Hey! You live in the middle of nowhere. NorCal > you.

The middle of nowhere is where it's at man.

T/S the rest of the US is not like California. North or south.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Page 1 of 3