Do many artists do this? Double track on a clean rhythm guitar, or is it mostly just distorted guitars that get doubled up.

Also I've looked at alot of those Authentic Guitar Tab books for albums and different songs, and I've noticed that in some songs the rhythm guitar is doubled up, and sometimes not. And I just don't understand a good rule of thumb of when to double track your rhythm guitars. Any ideas?

Thanks
Yamaha-APX700 Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone-Les Paul standard Electric
I double parts for both quite frequently. I especially like to use two different amps to give a layered sound, which is really easy with digital recording and amp modeling. Not the purest approach tone wise but easy and useful.
Quote by rasmusschaal
I've noticed a lot of bands do both strummed clean chords and low-volume arpeggios.

this happens a lot.

also playing chords an octave up (or down) could be good. similar idea, probably best at low volumes.

another cool thing to do is just strum in rhythm (if you're recording acoustic) covering your strings with your fretting hand. play that under your chords and it'll sound very cool. doesn't really have anything to do with doubling up your chords but i like it
Quote by LifeIsABullet16

also playing chords an octave up (or down) could be good. similar idea, probably best at low volumes.

Yeah, this sounds really great. If your recording software allows you too i suggest you try to record the chord track and then record the same chords just an octave higher, then fade in the chords so you wont hear the strums, just the notes together.
I haven't tried this yet, just something i came up with.