im learning how to sight read cuz i want to do music in college and im trying to get through as many books as i can before i audition but i keep getting headaches when i sit down and try to read music for a while.

Is this because im working my brain in a new method that Im just not used to yet?

and does anyone have any advice for learning how to play a song from sheet music?
Its probably because you're staring so hard at a piece of white paper covered in little black squiggles, and concentrating really hard. Go to the opticians - check its not your eyesight.

I'd start off playing stuff you already know how its meant to sound - so you can associate the notation with the sound. If you haven't got very far with notation yet it might be worth getting yourself a beginner guitar book that uses notation - the songs will be really boring but they'll introduce everything in a logical order and should explain it clearly.
Jeez, dude. Are you even taking any breaks?
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by zhilla
Its probably because you're staring so hard at a piece of white paper covered in little black squiggles, and concentrating really hard. Go to the opticians - check its not your eyesight.

This
Quote by guitarmageddon0
im learning how to sight read cuz i want to do music in college and im trying to get through as many books as i can before i audition but i keep getting headaches when i sit down and try to read music for a while.

Is this because im working my brain in a new method that Im just not used to yet?

and does anyone have any advice for learning how to play a song from sheet music?

So you've never read music before, and now your cramming so that you can "do"music in college?

It's not going to work that way.

TIP:

start from the beginning, and work your way up from there at a reasonable pace. A method book as a good way to get into this btw. Working with a teacher, would be a good idea as well.

It takes time. Be patient.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jul 8, 2009,