I have a Fender MIM Strat and I play mostly bluesy type stuff.... I consider Hendrix, Cream, and LedZep to be a part of that "bluesy" stuff as well.... the most "rockin" out I do is like a Black Keys type style.

Anyways.... I also have a Keeley Blues Driver and a Crybaby Original Wah along with an Eric Clapton Sig Pedal.

So I am looking for an amp that will bond with these pedals very good.
The amp will mostly be playe in a garage or basement... sometimes out at parties or possibly an open-mic or small bar type place.
I am looking to keep this below $500 and I would like to buy it used to save money.

My options so far after looking...

Peavey Classic 30 (90's model built in USA) Tweed
Peavey Valveking 112 50 Watts
Fender Blues Jr. NOS or Blues Jr. (90's model built in USA)
VOX AC15 Watt
Traynor (forget the exact number but I believe it was 15-20 watts) YVC20 or something?
Peavey Vyper 60 Watt (I think 60 watts may be too loud though)

Also.... is there a reason I am finding Fender Blues Devilles on Craigslist in my area or nearby for lik $350-$500? Isn't that a $900 amp new?
I don't think the Vypyr is tube.

Never mind, the 60 is the tube one, forgot about that. 60 watts tube is pretty loud though.

Edit: Oh it's a hybrid? Don't get that then.
Last edited by Sir Anonymous at Jul 8, 2009,
Technically, it is... 1 12AX7 and 2 6L6GCs, but the rest of the preamp is TransTube (aka not tube).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Technically, it is... 1 12AX7 and 2 6L6GCs, but the rest of the preamp is TransTube (aka not tube).

Thanks.... the Vyper is out then
There's no such thing as a blues deville Do you mean a Hot Rod Deluxe or a Blues Junior or a Hot Rod Deville or a Blues Deluxe? All different amps at different prices

Anyways, I wouldn't recommend the Fenders anyway - I think the Classic 30 is the best road you can take here. Brilliant value for money and does those styles really quite well. Mind you an AC 15 is an AWESOME amp - + it's quieter than the classic 30 so there's a bigger chance that you will be able to crank it if amps being too loud is an issue for you.

Happy amp hunting
I like Beans.

Quote by Hypnotisation
Throw away old strings? Are you kidding me? They're the only thing that can strangle unicorns!

BE AFRAID OF THE MODIFIED BEAR!

I know I am
Traynor YCV50.http://www.musicgoround.com/detail.aspx?id=812041
I really love this amp, it's got fender-y cleans with marshal-y overdrive. There were some pretty good videos of it on youtube, i'll see if i can find them for you

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOu6DAnW-Jo --------dirty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw5CM2p9KJo&feature=related --------Boost
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBMqhgGMRF0&feature=related --------Clean
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Last edited by Bossman123 at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by chordios
There's no such thing as a blues deville Do you mean a Hot Rod Deluxe or a Blues Junior or a Hot Rod Deville or a Blues Deluxe? All different amps at different prices

Anyways, I wouldn't recommend the Fenders anyway - I think the Classic 30 is the best road you can take here. Brilliant value for money and does those styles really quite well. Mind you an AC 15 is an AWESOME amp - + it's quieter than the classic 30 so there's a bigger chance that you will be able to crank it if amps being too loud is an issue for you.

Happy amp hunting

Yeah... I meant Blues Deluxe... not Deville.
The Vox AC15 is a great amp, but the artists you mentioned played Marshall's, which are voiced differently. I would look into a Traynor YCV20/40/50.
In that case around $400 isn't a bad deal at all. BUT I still don't think the Fender would suit your style.
I like Beans.

Quote by Hypnotisation
Throw away old strings? Are you kidding me? They're the only thing that can strangle unicorns!

BE AFRAID OF THE MODIFIED BEAR!

I know I am
Quote by chordios
There's no such thing as a blues deville

Yes, but i don't think they are still on production

Now on topic, a Fender Blues Deluxe for 350$ seems like a very good deal, just ask the seller if there's anything wrong with the amp and go test it out for at least half an hour to see if everything is working right, but yeah, it's a really sweet deal I think
I just bought a used Crate Palomino V32 for like $250 used on eBay and couldn't be happier. All tube, class A, 30 watts. I know Crate isn't the best name in amps, but it is a seriously sweet amp. 30 watts is just right to be cranked at a gig, but not too loud, and the drive channel is VERY versatile. It can get you everything from Stevie Ray to some really crunchy hard rock stuff. Don't even get me started on the Fender like clean channel. Just try to make sure you can find a USA model. Other than that The Blues Devilles you are finding sound perfect for blues, but you might need a good DS pedal to make the drive cahnnel sound like something. Honestly I just did an eBay search for "Tube Amp" and just put the ones i liked in "My eBay" and kept narrowing that down until I settled on the Crate. There are a whole crap load of old Fenders, a few nice Laneys, and I even found a sweet deal on a Mesa. The Traynor you mentioned also sounded pretty sweet from what I heard on Youtube.
Quote by Moose1309
I just bought a used Crate Palomino V32 for like $250 used on eBay and couldn't be happier. All tube, class A, 30 watts. I know Crate isn't the best name in amps, but it is a seriously sweet amp. 30 watts is just right to be cranked at a gig, but not too loud, and the drive channel is VERY versatile. It can get you everything from Stevie Ray to some really crunchy hard rock stuff. Don't even get me started on the Fender like clean channel. Just try to make sure you can find a USA model. Other than that The Blues Devilles you are finding sound perfect for blues, but you might need a good DS pedal to make the drive cahnnel sound like something. Honestly I just did an eBay search for "Tube Amp" and just put the ones i liked in "My eBay" and kept narrowing that down until I settled on the Crate. There are a whole crap load of old Fenders, a few nice Laneys, and I even found a sweet deal on a Mesa. The Traynor you mentioned also sounded pretty sweet from what I heard on Youtube.

Friend of mine has one of these, I hear him play it through a Big Muff and a Hendrix Crybaby with either a MIA Strat, 07 70s reissue SG, Scheter Black Diamond (something along those lines, shaped alike to a strat with a Humbucker bridge and single neck), a Swampash Tele, among many others and its' a VERSATILE amp.

Putting it next to my Hot Rod Deluxe the clean channel doesn't impress me, but I've been spoiled by fender clean. Still good-great cleans, but it isn't quite the same as putting it to a Fender. the Db boost the amp has gives the cleans some more umph and even low-distortion sound. Distorted no boost it sounds great for most any kind of rock, boosted it gives added crunch and enough umph to be used for soloing over the rest of a band.

I'd suggest it over a HRD if you're gonna be running a harder distortion normally without a pedal. The Hot Rods disto is a hard beast to tame and works as a booster with a touch fo added gain, really crunchy, Black Keys and AC/DC like, Sabbath esque, between playing with the gain and the 2 disto channels. If you're running a pedal distortion as your main distortion then the Hot Rod basically gives you a free Tubescreamer only better.
Quote by Merc2b
good price?

Its also a good price. I heard Traynors have Marshall-ish drive and Fender-ish cleans. For the styles you play, I'd just go ahead and buy a real Fender Tube amp though, such as a Blues Junior or a Hot Rod Deluxe.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I'd have to agree with the Blues Jr...but then again, I'm biased. Seeing as to how I own one..but the other guitarist in my band has a Crate Palomino V16, and it's great, too.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
Fender blues junior i think is the way to go for you. It will also go very nicely with the pedals you currently have. But i too am biased vause i own one.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
Everyone seems to be saying the Classic 30 and the Blues Jr. for my style of music....

Those are the two "Blues" amps from what my friend says, but he hates Fender and plays through a Peavey Delta Blues 115. His sound is phenomenal.
Quote by Merc2b
Everyone seems to be saying the Classic 30 and the Blues Jr. for my style of music....

Those are the two "Blues" amps from what my friend says, but he hates Fender and plays through a Peavey Delta Blues 115. His sound is phenomenal.

Well the classic 30 and the blues junior are two very different amps. One is British voiced, and the other is american. Just play both of them and decide yourself.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by chordios

Happy amp hunting

Actually, there is a Blues DeVille. I wouldn't recommend the Blues models though. They're brighter than the Hot Rods and I don't really like them.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by chordios
In that case around $400 isn't a bad deal at all. BUT I still don't think the Fender would suit your style.

Why wouldn't fender amps fit his style? Anyways my vote goes for the blues jr. i know for a fact it can reach all the tones your looking for but play around with it first.
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Merc2b

Hates Fender but loves Peavey? What is the world coming to?
For a lot of your style, a more British voiced amp would be preferred: Peavey Classic or Delta Blues (I like this one better than the Classic), Crate Vintage Club, Traynor YCV50, etc, are all options.

With your overdrive pedal, though, you'd also be okay with an American voiced amp like one of those Fenders Hot Rods or Blues amps. I personally prefer the Blues line. It's worth trying them out to see if that tone suits you. Also look for Ampeg tube amps like the Reverberocket and Jet.

Either way, you'll need a fuzz pedal for the black keys.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
From owning the classic 30, I highly recommend that one. Although honestly, ANY of the amps you're considering at this point are all fairly good sounding ones. I don't think you'll be disappointed no matter what.

Speaking from the C30 point of view, mine takes pedals excellently. I run most of my distortion and overdrives between the guitar and amp, which works perfectly, and I throw my modulation and what not in the loop. It's a really versatile amp and I'm sure it would work great with your pedals.

Also, although I have never owned one, I can second the YCV-50 Blue amp. Lots of versatility there.
All of our days are numbered
I’ve taken some comfort
In knowing the wave has crested
Knowing I don’t have to be an exception