Page 1 of 2
TechnoJesus™
UG's Astral Projector
758 IQ
I really don't see why everybody loves these and is like "oh the breakdown is awsome" in my opinion its actually the most boring part of the song.

Your thoughts?
THOU SHALL NOT PASS!

My gear is not worth mentioning.
chaos13
Toothbrush
263 IQ
Depends on the band. Some have awesome breakdowns, such as Meshuggah, but other bands, like BMTH, kinda suck at breakdowns.
Tool
Sleep
Gojira
Puscifer
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Modest Mouse
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Lucid Dreaming Thread
Magnificoamar
59 IQ
Yeah I agree, most breakdowns I hear is just like...The open note in what ever drop tuning there in, in a very very slow fashion were everyone loves to bang there head. I would rather like to listen to something more then a 4/4 measure at 60bpm's...I'm not sure if thats boring to other people, but it is to me :P
TechnoJesus™
UG's Astral Projector
758 IQ
i could not agree with you two more it really is like open strings at like drop a. ITS LAME
THOU SHALL NOT PASS!

TechnoJesus™
UG's Astral Projector
758 IQ
yea like get some weird timing maybe some other electronic elements or something. the china cymbal and down-tuned guitars are getting old and are over used.
THOU SHALL NOT PASS!

anacrucix
matt sunrise
236 IQ
Quote by TechnoJesus™
i could not agree with you two more it really is like open strings at like drop a. ITS LAME

after the burial - the fractal effect 2:52

breakdown and yet nothing like what you described, i think the people complaining here just listen to bands which don't do breakdowns very well.
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
justinb904
Mother F***ing Engines
455 IQ
like said above, they can be really awesome or really suck depending on the band that wrote them

in all honesty it's not that hard to write a good breakdown...
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
TechnoJesus™
UG's Astral Projector
758 IQ
thats true its not hard. and yes I do think that it depends on the band sometimes rarely though
THOU SHALL NOT PASS!

TechnoJesus™
UG's Astral Projector
758 IQ
to anacrucix: right when i heard this band i knew that they were something original. they sound like mathcore.. and other genres its kinda different.
THOU SHALL NOT PASS!

Winman9999
79 IQ
since I play in a deathcore band I appreciate break downs, they are fun to do live, but a good break down is more then open palm muted chord, my bands break downs are usually have hendrix chords(im not sure there real name thats just what we call them) tapping and sweeps in them, we try using unique rhythms also, anyways a good break down is awesome
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
demonsage
754 IQ
Honestly i love breakdowns here and there when a band CAN throw one down

but when BMTH throws them its like wtf was that but i just heard Muckrakers breakdown by Underneath the Gun and i love it !
abysspell
199 IQ
only if a band knows how to do them right.. they are also awesome in a mosh ^_^
demonsage
754 IQ
i realized a lot of bands use a breakdown as a Bridge.

which i think is genius
jonnowev
Completely Incomplete
1,173 IQ
It's a staple part of this kinda music. If you don't love a good chug-fest then maybe you should leave this part of the forum...
technicolour
Banned
1,153 IQ
Quote by jonnowev
It's a staple part of this kinda music. If you don't love a good chug-fest then maybe you should leave this part of the forum...

Converge
JxD
957 IQ
Quote by jonnowev

Have you ever listened to a song by a hardcore band? I don't think we're hearing the same genre of music here.
zezimathehero
pretentious wankstick
168 IQ
Breakdowns are only good if the timing of them is right, and they don't last too long. When bands are like "I have no idea how to further this song, so let's just toss in a minute-long breakdown in 4/4 so the br00tal kids can mosh", it just sounds bad.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
Bignose
I'm just doin my job here
127 IQ
I've never been big on them, but that said - as everyone is saying, very band dependant. And now I want to listen to The saddest day by converge.
jonnowev
Completely Incomplete
1,173 IQ
Quote by technicolour
Converge

One band?

Wow, you certainly proved me wrong.

Quote by JxD
Have you ever listened to a song by a hardcore band? I don't think we're hearing the same genre of music here.

If you hadnt realised, this hardcore forum isnt just dedicated to the old school stuff.
bill_talent
65 IQ
Quote by anacrucix
after the burial - the fractal effect 2:52

breakdown and yet nothing like what you described, i think the people complaining here just listen to bands which don't do breakdowns very well.

I just listened to that breakdown... it is insane. The whole song is insane.
Fender Custom Tele, FMT HH
Michael Kelly Patriot Black
Peavey VK 212 (modded)
Member #24 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club. PM stepco12345 to join!

Quote by larrytheguitar
Would you eat the fish.
anacrucix
matt sunrise
236 IQ
Quote by bill_talent
I just listened to that breakdown... it is insane. The whole song is insane.

the first time i heard that breakdown i actually laughed, just cause when it first comes in it sounds so fruity but yeah, thats an awesome album, really intrigued by the re-release, pretty sure it won't be worth paying for the album again, but somehow i'll end up buying it anyway!
Check out my band! The Afterparty on Facebook
3rdActguitarist
3,355 IQ
I like breakdowns that are quick tempoed and different.

Examples:
Open Arms To Damnation -- Born of Osiris
Up Against the Ropes -- August Burns Red

These are good breakdowns
willingvictim
good dude, backed hard
948 IQ
I mean pretty much EVERY "core" band is going to have some sort of break downs.. doesn't mean it will be generic and chuggy. Most hardcore bands just slow **** down.. the chug breakdowns generally come from NYHC or beatdown stuff.. then really.. really lame **** like liferuiner and recon, and of course deathcore/metalcore, throw in the over exaggerated extremely slow break downs or the ones with retarded ass timings. i dont see how weird timing makes a chug any better
+}-136-{+
Registered Text Offender
211 IQ
Quote by jonnowev

Quote by JxD

Quote by jonnowev
If you hadnt realised, this hardcore forum isnt just dedicated to the old school stuff.

And in case you didn't realize, this hardcore forum isn't just dedicated to haircut emoboy bands that like to wank off their E-strings. There's a chance I could be wrong but that seemed like what JxD was trying to get across. Why you find any problem in his response and why you made such a retarded statement in the first place is beyond me.
jonnowev
Completely Incomplete
1,173 IQ
Quote by 3rdActguitarist
I like breakdowns that are quick tempoed and different.

Examples:
Open Arms To Damnation -- Born of Osiris
Up Against the Ropes -- August Burns Red

These are good breakdowns

Up Against the Ropes is just like...
TonyRandall
young fire.
1,719 IQ
Quote by chaos13
Depends on the band. Some have awesome breakdowns, such as Meshuggah, but other bands, like BMTH, kinda suck at breakdowns.

bring me the horizon just sucks at everything
ChrisN
I signed up for this?
201 IQ
Want good breakdowns? The Wildhearts.
404: Sig not found.
Neox22xx
379 IQ
I think they have to be used appropriately not just as filler for when the guys have no idea what to do next. I actually love the breakdown at the end of Faith or Forgiveness by The Ghost Inside even though it is slow and painfully simple.
3rdActguitarist
3,355 IQ
Quote by jonnowev
Up Against the Ropes is just like...

Damn straight dude. Thats the song I play whenever I wanna get pumped up for something lol

Quote by TonyRandall
bring me the horizon just sucks at everything

Except hair cuts
Phoenix322
UG's Rain maker
386 IQ
Quote by TechnoJesus™
I really don't see why everybody loves these and is like "oh the breakdown is awsome" in my opinion its actually the most boring part of the song.

Your thoughts?

I agree. They're nothing special and often boring. I especially hate when a band feels like putting 3 breakdowns in one song("Romance Is Dead" by Parkway Drive comes to mind").
This choice is passion, this path is tension.
Rufiothebandito
540 IQ
I love breakdowns as long as they are used tastefully and usually if they have a lead over them.
It's great when you hear a breakdown for 2 measures or so, then a tasty lead comes in to complete it.
Definitely nothing wrong with breakdowns until they become a gimmick and get a little generic. It gives certain songs a much needed caveman-ish primal sort of teeth grit section that I can fully appreciate when done right.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
recklessnick
Almost Wasted
4,633 IQ
breakdowns are more of a 'feel' thing, to me.
sometimes i hear a breakdown, which sounds the same as every other breakdown, but i just feel like punching someone.
cant stand songs that have like 10 breakdowns though. (emmure emmure emmure emmure)
GodofCheesecake
Master of the Machines
1,404 IQ
For the most part I dislike breakdowns, but when they're done right they can be amazing. After the Burial, August Burns Red, All Shall Perish, Veil of Maya, Beneath the Massacre, BTBAM, and Born of Osiris can do them right. I'll agree that SOME bands overuse them, but that's no reason to judge them-- or entire genres, for that matter-- as overdone and generic.
My band, Escher
My progressive rock project, Mosaic

Quote by Lappo
clearly, the goal is to convert every thread into a discussion about BTBAM

BTBAM IS ALWAYS RELEVANT