well I am having a HUGE conflict over what new amp to get,

I have basically narrowed it down to two options now

Line 6 3 150 watt stereo amp (solid state amp- 450$)

or...

Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 watt amp (tube amp- 450$)

(also considering buying DigiTech RP55multi effects pedal with either of them)

So It's a very hard choice for me, I am 15 , been playing for 3-4 years now, I have a Gibson SG faded, and most importantly I am in a cover band and need alot of power for performances, but I also need to be able to mimic the sound of songs like Crazy Train and Cliffs of Dover, which is why I am considering the Line 6 because of it's presets for both of those songs.

Help me out! I am caught in the middle of these two completely different amps
How about a nice used Peavey Classic 30, Traynor YCV50 or Superchamp XD? The Line 6 is crap, and would be way too loud, and there are better tube amps then that Peavey for the same price or less. The effects pedal would be a pretty stupid idea with the Line 6. I think it's pretty stupid that you are buying an amp of presets.
Last edited by thrasher. at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by Airline-Olie
troll me thinks

you or him?
1972 Fender Mustang
2000 Godin SD
Ampeg J20 Jet
Valveking 212
Barber Burn Unit
MXR Smart Gate
BYOC E.S.V. Fuzz
BYOC 10 Band EQ
well the thing is i need alot of power for gigging, and I am not completely buying an amp based on presets, I just think that is one of the greatest things about the line 6 amp, which I am actually leaning towards now, the Peavy seems pretty good, but it may not be able to keep up in power compared to the line 6, i dont know keep giving me tips and things to consider about them, because I have tried the Line 6 already and i love the sound, but I really heard great things about the peavy
Quote by metalcorefan
There is no need to make 2 threads, and the other one is still active

well the other one is more about what multi effects pedal I should consider buying, this thread is about getting a new amp which the last thread made me realize I wasn't sure what to get
first of all, your purchase should be based on tone, not "power"...youll be micing your amp anyway

second, you should check out peavey windsor, peavey classic 30, or maybe blackhearts, or the crate V-series
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Here, I'll make it easy for you:

The Spider sounds like ****, and the presets sound NOTHING like what they're supposed to sound like.

The Vyper at least sounds close to what it models.

The Spider will only sound worse at high volumes.

The Vyper will drown the Spider out volume-wise, and sound better doing so.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Man dont chose a fn preset amp for gigging.... unless you want to sound fake or like a poser.
preset are fine for bedroom or practice... but gig? unless you dont care sounding ****ty in front of a crowd...

try to go with a smaller tube amp or else you wont be able to get the tube saturation at a resonable volume.

i have a 60 watt crate turbo-valve and its MEGA LOUD!!!

as for the tone the one you stated arent that hard to get... just need maybe one or two nice pedal and youll be set.
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

have you been playing for two weeks?

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
I've heard of a guitar with five colored frets, but they don't play well.
Quote by ModestAxis
Man dont chose a fn preset amp for gigging.... unless you want to sound fake or like a poser.
preset are fine for bedroom or practice... but gig? unless you dont care sounding ****ty in front of a crowd get a nice tube amp...

try to go with a smaller tube amp or else you wont be able to get the tube saturation at a resonable volume.

i have a 60 watt crate turbo-valve and its MEGA LOUD!!!

as for the tone the one you stated arent that hard to get... just need maybe one or two nice pedal and youll be set.

as stated above your amp will be mic'ed at gigs.

EDIT: sorry for the double post i clicked quote instead of edit
Quote by BelowZero
you like bass sound. wanna go crazy on stage. and want a "place for a whammy bar"

have you been playing for two weeks?

go get a squier....

Quote by jess2112
I've heard of a guitar with five colored frets, but they don't play well.
well to tell you all the truth only one of our major gigs had mics that allowed us to mic our amps, because my band does not own mics and all that stuff to be able to mic our amps, thats why I am looking for a high wattage amp so I can play without worrying if I can mic my amp
30 watts tube should be plenty for most everything..you're looking at high wattage SS amps..and one of them is particularly crappy.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
well to tell you all the truth I think I'm going to go with the line 6 amp for now, and later on get a nice 20-40 watt tube amp for when i go to college and for very small shows etc... personally I like how the Line 6 amps are so I'm going with it, thanks for all your help
dude B-52 at 1-12 its godly considering its only $350-$400 it can do every thing you could imagine great minus the effects. so far my only complaint is that the clean channel breaks up around like 5 which kinda sucks but besides that its great

EDIT: dude like 35 watts tube is still pretty damn loud. think of it like this 60 watts tube id just as loud if not louder than 120 watts tube and it will sound a hell of a lot better at that volume. pretty much all SS state amps suck when they are loud. ALSO I HAVE A SPIDER 3 DO NOT BUY IT YOU WILL HATE IT latter on down the road trust me
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Last edited by sandman-105 at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by strikerbrow
well to tell you all the truth I think I'm going to go with the line 6 amp for now, and later on get a nice 20-40 watt tube amp for when i go to college and for very small shows etc... personally I like how the Line 6 amps are so I'm going with it, thanks for all your help

Are you ****ing kidding me? Did you even read my post?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
no! don't get the spider! the vypyr is WAY BETTER
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by MatrixClaw
Are you ****ing kidding me? Did you even read my post?

You know what guys? If hes not even listening to us, then why even bother helping him anymore?

/thread

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.