Page 1 of 2
Hey I'm wondering what you guys think is the best trem bridge. Mostly what is most stable, reliable and stays in tune. Thanks
this is what i can vouch for-

LFR- ****, stay away at all cost
Jackson LFR- Not half bad, not that great though. holds tune much better than a regular LFR
Ibanez ZR+ZPS- pretty damn sweet, very accurate, very smooth. Changing spring tension is easy as piss. most convenient.
Ibanez Lo pro- Awesome, held its tune perfect, fluttered perfectly, dove great, pulled up great. most accurate and most reliable.
Ibanez Edge- Ties with the lo pro, very awesome
Ibanez Edge III- yuck, horribly unreliable, stay away at all costs

that's all ive tried, im not going to bandwaggon like the guy above me did. there are better trems out there than an OFR
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Last edited by conor1148 at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by MetaMegaMagic
Any reports on Kahler or Bigsby?

forgot bigsby,

i'd say its good but ONLY for its intended purpose, alot of people think the bigsby is going to do divebombs and other nonsense like the floyds do, that is completely wrong. anything more than a slight vibrato will send your guitar right out of tune.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by conor1148

Jackson LFR- Not half bad, not that great though. holds tune much better than a regular LFR
Ibanez ZR+ZPS- pretty damn sweet, very accurate, very smooth. Changing spring tension is easy as piss. most convenient.
Ibanez Lo pro- Awesome, held its tune perfect, fluttered perfectly, dove great, pulled up great. most accurate and most reliable.

that's all ive tried, im not going to bandwaggon like the guy above me did. there are better trems out there than an OFR

Well i have tested a little tremolos cuz where i live there is like 100% humidity and i have tested a ****ty edge III and OFR.
So the OFR didn't get out of tune, so from my expierences is the best tremolo.
Main Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Flextone III
Quote by conor1148

you do realize the quality of LFR's vary right?

when people think LFR, they automatically think ****. FALSE.look under ANY Ibanez trem (the good ones and the bad ones). they are ALL LFR's

anyways to answer your question TS, i personally think the Original Ibanez Edge Trem is the best LFR. IMO, it is far superior to the OFR, LoPro Edge, Edge Pro, etc.

except maybe the Gotoh FR. i haven't had the pleasure of using one of those.
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you even more now. Slightly homo
Quote by 1nSingularity
So a Floyd Rose would be the ideal choice?

well, first of all we need more info.

are you planning to buy a guitar with a floyd and want to know what's the best guitar with a floyd?

or are you planning to install a floyd into a guitar?
Quote by metaldud536
...I mean if indians stood naked in front of me, i couldn't tell if they're hispanic or native american. unless they put on clothes

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
It depends. Would you like to make divebombs and that stuff and almost never have to tune the guitar but taking a lot of time changing the strings (floyd rose) or just use it for vibrato(bigsby) and playing with the tremolo a bit without going out of tune (wilkinson tremolo)? but in the last two cases you have to get locking tuners.

Edit:
Quote by SomebodySomeone

are you planning to buy a guitar with a floyd and want to know what's the best guitar with a floyd?

This info too.
Main Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Flextone III
Last edited by carlosyugui at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by SomebodySomeone

Both. I'm thinking Floyd, but there might be other trem bridges that are better. I'm pretty sold on a floyd though.

I'm hoping to maybe install a FR in my SG, and/or maybe get one with a FR already installed
Parker trems are the best ive played, i love how with the turn of a key it will go from floating to dive only and then to hardtail.

OFRs next and then the washburn licenced floyds and last grover licenced flyoyds
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Quote by 1nSingularity
Both. I'm thinking Floyd, but there might be other trem bridges that are better. I'm pretty sold on a floyd though.

I'm hoping to maybe install a FR in my SG, and/or maybe get one with a FR already installed

well the SG is far too thin to have a floyd on it. that is why it's usually modded with a kahler instead of a floyd.

for floyd equipped guitar. try an Ibanez prestige or an Ibanez RG550/RG560/RG570/RG750/RG760/RG770.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by 1nSingularity

I would recommend to get one with floyd, i have a friend that wanted to put floyd rose to his sg and the tech said it would be $500.
Main Gear:
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Flextone III
^ wat they said about floyd in sg

and on another note as anyone heard about the edge zero and how it is?
GEAR

1966 MUSTANG

valveking 112

markley tuner
Ernie Ball Wah
digitech whammy
fulltone ocd
usa big muff
boss dd7
boss rc-2

Quote by simpleben09
You sir have a mean ass rig. Have a great day.
Last edited by Lehoogle714 at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by nav00
Parker trems are the best ive played, i love how with the turn of a key it will go from floating to dive only and then to hardtail.

OFRs next and then the washburn licenced floyds and last grover licenced flyoyds

i've never played a parker, but from a couple of people i know, its trem is not even of this world. then again i wouldnt expect anything less from a brand that is pretty pricey and unique...
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I myself prefer the ZPS trems on Ibanez models.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
the original edge tremolo by ibanez. i LOVE them. they aren't the prettiest things in the world, but they're a work horse of a guitar bridge
Quote by Lehoogle714

the Edge Zero is basically a hybrid Edge/ZR. it pivots on knife edges but it has the ZR saddles, ZPS system, and the thumb wheel for easy spring tension adjustment. i've heard mixed reviews from them. they are quality trem, but nothing special. again this is from a couple of friends that have it. i myself don't have any experience with the Edge Zero
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by Lehoogle714

The EZ bridge is interesting. They tried to combine the egde pro and zr trem. It still holds tune as good as an edge pro. Havent really fiddled with the ZR part of mine yet tho. Dont really have a need imo. The egde pro/ egde original should have just stayed part of the line up *shrug*
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
the original edge tremolo by ibanez. i LOVE them. they aren't the prettiest things in the world, but they're a work horse of a guitar bridge

Yes, the Edge is the Best FR style bridge IMO. need more proof? tom morello has it installed into his non-Ibanez guitars

but i don't agree on the pretty thing, they look better than the OFR cosmetically wise.
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Quote by mexican_shred
The EZ bridge is interesting. They tried to combine the egde pro and zr trem. It still holds tune as good as an edge pro. Havent really fiddled with the ZR part of mine yet tho. Dont really have a need imo. The egde pro/ egde original should have just stayed part of the line up *shrug*

as much as i love my Edge Pro, it doesn't even compare with the Original Edge. they should just stuck with the LoPro and the Edge IMO.

EDIT: Mexican Shred,

como chingados puedes tener todas esas guitarras? eres millonario o que?

Translation: how the hell can you afford all those guitars? are you a millionaire or what?
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by SomebodySomeone
Yes, the Edge is the Best FR style bridge IMO. need more proof? tom morello has it installed into his non-Ibanez guitars

but i don't agree on the pretty thing, they look better than the OFR cosmetically wise.

they do look like the original floyd, but i don't think they're very pretty either but the lo pro edge looks awesome!
Floyd Rose are only good for shred, divebombs, extreme whammy, etc.

I hate em myself. There hard to setup, until youre used to it, they make tuning a bitch b/c you have to unlock the strings in both places, the springs are weird (but thats a personal taste issue, not quality control), its just superfluous in my opinion, to lock em and try to break in if you want to change tunnings.

I use easy, simple vibrato, and even then only about 25% of the time. Wilkinson works just fine for me, even without locking tuners.

Also, why do people act like the tuning goes all nuts, just by using it once? It takes me like 50 times until it goes bad.
Quote by SomebodySomeone
as much as i love my Edge Pro, it doesn't even compare with the Original Edge. they should just stuck with the LoPro and the Edge IMO.

so far my egde pro has kept up with my lo pro and edge original. Granted the edge pro has at least a ten year life delay compared to the other two, it still stands its ground perfectly fine with the other two. call me lazy but i dont like having to cut the balls off the strings or string backwards just a personal preference i guess. Even with that said the edge is still my favorite trem.

Edit: When restringing, just taking a little time(like 5-10 minutes) to stretch the strings makes the tuning stable and almost unchangable until a string breaks. Thats how its been so far with my egde and edge pro
Last edited by mexican_shred at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
they do look like the original floyd, but i don't think they're very pretty either but the lo pro edge looks awesome!

well i meant the saddles. the OFR saddles have a 90degree cutoff at the edge of the saddle while the Edge has a nice sleek looking slope. it's hard to describe

Quote by mexican_shred
so far my egde pro has kept up with my lo pro and edge original. Granted the edge pro has at least a ten year life delay compared to the other two, it still stands its ground perfectly fine with the other two. call me lazy but i dont like having to cut the balls off the strings or string backwards just a personal preference i guess. Even with that said the edge is still my favorite trem.

yeah, it is a nifty little feature, not having to cut off the ball ends. i had the edge pro for a while before i got my RG560 with teh orig. edge. and now i feel guilty for liking the RG560 over my RG1570. i might just put the original Edge on my RG1570
Quote by metaldud536

At first he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
I love you, man. No homo

But then, he was like...
Quote by Twistedrock
i want a RG1550, but wasn't sure if i'd like the edge pro over my original haha

and as said before, tom morello lives by edge trems! they must be good.
Peavey and Jackson's Licensed floyds are pretty good.

Schaller LFRs are also quite top-notch.

Original floyds are a common favorite.

Original Edge, Lo-Pro, Edge Pro, Edge Zero, and Zero Resistance are all great trems from ibanez.

PRS vintage trems are held in quite high regard.

Wilkinsons are pretty damn sweet.

Kahler's good trems seem nice but i never really liked they way they look.

Bigsbys are ok for subtle stuff but they need to be set up well and are fairly prone to going out of tune. Same goes for the Gibson Maestro vibrato or whatever they call it.

Fender vintage trems are alright but stringing properly and having a good nut help a lot. The american 2-point trems are somewhat similar to wilkinson but not as much range i think.
Quote by SomebodySomeone
the Edge Zero is basically a hybrid Edge/ZR. it pivots on knife edges but it has the ZR saddles, ZPS system, and the thumb wheel for easy spring tension adjustment. i've heard mixed reviews from them. they are quality trem, but nothing special. again this is from a couple of friends that have it. i myself don't have any experience with the Edge Zero

I find that the Edge Zero gives better tone and sustain than the Edge Pro and Original Edge because there's more contact with the body since it's not floating. It's also very good for changing tunings since it doesn't need to be perfectly balanced and you never need a screwdriver. Bending doesn't take the other strings out of tune so double stops work great. The bridge only moves when you touch the trem arm. It also returns to the exact same spot no matter what so tuning stability is not be a problem. It has the stability of a fixed bridge but you also have a double locking trem. I think it's the best of both worlds since extreme trem antics aren't even used that often. If Herman Li picked it over all the other available trems, it has to be good. They also use them on their highest end Prestige RGs and J. Customs.
Last edited by JELIFISH19 at Jul 8, 2009,
Dear God!!!

I'm tired of people, not just this thread, but people in general (mostly kids), going around saying, 'If so-and-so uses them, they must be good'.

Get off the train of thought. If everyone was sticking M-241 Howitzer shells up their nose, would you?
^
(Sad thing is most people would)
Last edited by neptune1988 at Jul 8, 2009,
Wilkinson's are good-in fact, I ordered one for my ongoing build.
OFR's, Original Edges, Lo-pro's, Edge Pro's, and Jackson LFR's are pretty damned good.

The FR-02000 series is good, the FR special is reasonable, hipshot trems are good.
Bigsbys don't have enough range for much other than a slight vibrato... Kahler's go out of tune with bending.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by neptune1988
Floyd Rose are only good for shred, divebombs, extreme whammy, etc.

I hate em myself. There hard to setup, until youre used to it, they make tuning a bitch b/c you have to unlock the strings in both places, the springs are weird (but thats a personal taste issue, not quality control), its just superfluous in my opinion, to lock em and try to break in if you want to change tunnings.

I use easy, simple vibrato, and even then only about 25% of the time. Wilkinson works just fine for me, even without locking tuners.

Also, why do people act like the tuning goes all nuts, just by using it once? It takes me like 50 times until it goes bad.

1- You dont have to do divebombs and such with a Floyd. You can do everything like subtle vibrato too, with the added benefit of not going out of tune if you do some wider vibrato (Some non-locking trems are good at this too though)
2- You dont unlock the strings at both ends, if you did, it would come out. The lock at the saddle holds the string in place.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I find that the Edge Zero gives better tone and sustain than the Edge Pro and Original Edge because there's more contact with the body since it's not floating. It's also very good for changing tunings since it doesn't need to be perfectly balanced and you never need a screwdriver. Bending doesn't take the other strings out of tune so double stops work great. The bridge only moves when you touch the trem arm. It also returns to the exact same spot no matter what so tuning stability is not be a problem. It has the stability of a fixed bridge but you also have a double locking trem. I think it's the best of both worlds since extreme trem antics aren't even used that often. If Herman Li picked it over all the other available trems, it has to be good. They also use them on their highest end Prestige RGs and J. Customs.

its more due to the fact that ibanez didn't want to keep paying FR for using their type of trem, so they changed it up a bit and made them a high end substitute. The biggest surprise is that they come from china(land of the shady guitar wise), but still hasn given me a problem
Quote by SomebodySomeone

EDIT: Mexican Shred,

como chingados puedes tener todas esas guitarras? eres millonario o que?

Translation: how the hell can you afford all those guitars? are you a millionaire or what?

forgive the double post

Carpetbagging as i like to call it(find someone desperate enough to sell stuff at a low price), be it ebay, craigslist or forums. That and 3 years of medical/ engineering research and engineering internship filled summers helps pays the bills and more
Quote by mexican_shred
its more due to the fact that ibanez didn't want to keep paying FR for using their type of trem, so they changed it up a bit and made them a high end substitute. The biggest surprise is that they come from china(land of the shady guitar wise), but still hasn given me a problem

Actually, I dont think its because they didnt want to pay licensing fees to FR, because the licence expired recently. They would have known that and it would have been a bit pointless to design and make the EZ if the licence was going to expire.
Quote by neptune1988
Dear God!!!

I'm tired of people, not just this thread, but people in general (mostly kids), going around saying, 'If so-and-so uses them, they must be good'.

Get off the train of thought. If everyone was sticking M-241 Howitzer shells up their nose, would you?
^

Well I'm just using it as an example. I have experience with it and I own a guitar with one. But providing other examples of who uses them is validates my praise. You don't see Steve Vai and Satch using the Edge III. Now logically, would Ibanez put the Edge Zero on their highest end guitar if it was a piece of crap? Would Herman Li pick it over the Edge ZR, Edge Pro, and any other Ibanez trem if it was a piece of crap? I know it's good, I'm just providing some evidence. I don't care what other people play and do with their gear. But when you look at who uses something and what it comes installed on, it does say something about the quality.
Kahler > Floyd Rose IMHO. Way less hassle as far as changing strings and retuning. And plus, that's pretty much you're only hope for a locking trem on an SG.
Yeah, but the thing is FR's stay in tune while bending.

Also, ever heard of a shorter FR block?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah, but the thing is FR's stay in tune while bending.

Also, ever heard of a shorter FR block?

I'm guessing you got that from the video series that one guy has on youtube. He was using a low-end kahler, pretty much the equivalent of a non-jackson/schaller/peavey LFR. I think it was a Kahler X or something like that. Anyways, the good ones don't suffer from that issue.
Quote by neptune1988
Dear God!!!

^

haha i was kidding. keep your pants on.

but seriously, great bridge.
Page 1 of 2