Just out of curiosity, how difficult is it to build your own custom made electric guitar? Any tuips on getting started?
searchbar, for the love of christ.

If you have to ask, you don't want to know.

Not to say that you can't, but the question alone proves you've done nothing in terms of research.

not even searchbar.
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Jul 8, 2009,
true... search bar. but you'll need a shop to work in (assuming you don't have the tools as you are asking how difficult it is) so have a look for some where that the person who owns the shop will let you mess around with their equipment. I don't think you're going to spend a grand or so on equipment, haha. second, it depends on how much customisation you're putting into it. do you want custom inlays? specific types of pickups in irregular places? something odd like a floyd on a tele body? do you want a custom body? neck? headstock? we need specifics to tell you how hard this will be.
you might actually be able to get away with just buying a body/neck/parts and not have to worry about any of this.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
Go look up Build Your Own Electric Guitar by Melvyn Hiscock. Great resource, if a bit scattered and dated.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by BigDC
Just out of curiosity, how difficult is it to build your own custom made electric guitar? Any tuips on getting started?

How can one answer such a question?

If you're ham-fisted, cross-eyed and illiterate...guitar building would be next to impossible.

If you're mechanically oriented, handy with woodworking tools, have an impressive ability to pick things up quickly and a thorough and exhaustive approach to planning everything you do....it would be like a piece of cake.

Then there is that whole grey area in the middle.....
I like that grey area. It makes everything a learning experience.

It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Quote by genghisgandhi
warmoth.com

nuf said

Or any other site/eBay.

I recently had a horrible experience with Warmoth customer service, so I'd suggest checking out the competition too.
see now that's what I like to hear. too many people nowadays believe that you can just throw some parts together and say they "built" the guitar. I mean, I refinnish and rewire guitars and by some peoples definition they'd say I built the thing.
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
your better off buying your guitar
My Fun Guitars
Fender Strat
Ibanez Rg-320

My Junk Guitars
Hondo II acoustic
Yamaha F-310
Jay Turser Les paul knock off of doom
Quote by BigDC
*tips

Yeah, here's a tip. Don't start with a build.

Start at the end...

Learn to do action / intonation.
Learn to do truss rod adjustment
Learn to do fret leveling/dressing/crowning/polishing
Learn to do hardware replacement / mods
Learn to refinish
Learn to assemble from pre-made neck and body
Learn to make your own body
Learn to make your own neck.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
ah yes you can learn all the skills on repairs/maintenance then its almost easy when you get to milling wood and gluing it together. do what I do and let someone else do your fretwork for a price $. that way you can have a world class instrument your first time around, without all the baby punching.

BTW you still need something solid and straight or the best fret job will be sh1t.
EAT YOUR GUITAR GEAR BLOG
Quote by BigDC
how difficult is it to build your own guitar?
Quote by Gibshall
It's hard, annoying, and makes you want to punch a baby.
with alot of research, a good place to work (that has all tools you need), a bit of talent, and looking at other people's techniques when building guitars, nice wood, enough practising on working with wood, an IDEA for an guitar, enough potential and alot of research (yeah i said twice, thats how much you will need)...

.. well if you have all that you'd be able to pul it off =)

(please state that i myself have none of the above, i'd rather look at other peoples's builds )

Oh an probably if it's your first time and you dont have much patience..
...well let's just say the baby punching Gibshall mentioned will definetly occur so warn your neighbours that have babies if you plan on going on :P
O_O riiiiiiiight

oh, cool smiley
Last edited by Joene at Jul 10, 2009,
Quote by captaindonut
your better off buying your guitar

No, you're not. Building is ten times more rewarding. Plus it's exactly what you want right off the bat.

depends on you and what you want to do. for some, ripping out a pickup and throwing a new one in while replacing the tuners counts. it also depends on what you have available to you.

if you have everything in your garage, it should be fast, and not hard either. if you have nothing... well, Jim can tell ya.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
that question really is too open ended and vague.

i guess, to put it exactly, guitar building can be anywhere from a 2 to a 10 on a scale of easy to difficult. it all depends on what exactly you're trying to do.