for soloing or for a whole heavy song in a major key?
If it's soloing, then you just have to use the right major scale
Say you're in the key of A minor. you can use the C major scale to solo.
An easy way to find this scale is to play the second not in a pentatonic scale
(e.g. E|-5-8--|, where you are in the key of A and 5 is the root A in the pentatonic scale, while 8 is the second note, C) and play a major scale starting from that note
(e.g. E|-8-10-| A|-7-8-10-| etc.). in the key of A, this would be a C major scale. there are also other major scales that can be used to give a minor tone, for example if you are in the key of A, you can also play the F major scale as well as C major.
If you're talking about a whole song, idk i guess ur screwed
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
Last edited by ironmaiden_98 at Jul 8, 2009,
Find the relative minor

G major = E Minor
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
Quote by Snowblindvictim
Find the relative minor

G major = E Minor

if youre thinking modal thats essentially the same thing.

if you mean more like soloing and riffs, its best to stick with a minor key. if it is in a major key, find the relative minor, or while soling you have the option to play in modes such as dorian, phrygian, or locrian, as well as the relative minor of that key (aeolian to be technical).
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by guitarmageddon0
a whole heavy song... but tips on soloing would be cool

Well i wrote a whole ****ing editorial on soloing for you but i dont know much about major songs in metal
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
Take a look at the band After The Burial
particularily the song Aspiration
they do alot of major stuff but make it sound heavy
they also use 8 string guitars....
People who say you can't use the major scale in metal are idiots. Listen to some Dream Theater or Racer X or anything like that. John and Paul don't sit around playing in the minor scale all the time.

Your phrasing, and what chords you are playing over, can make a big difference in how the major scale feels. Just experiment.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Every 80's hard rock band wrote heavy sounding songs in major keys. Its more in the distortion, phrasing, and energy you put into the music.
Lets get something straight

Em=/=G. The notes may be the same, but other than that, they are totally different.

Now that THAT little problem is out of the way...

Its all about phrasing. Notes are only one part of the equation. Youll have to work a little harder, but if your good enough at phrasing, you can get the major scale to sound heavy
It's definitely more about whats going on behind the major scale/melody that determines the mood.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Don't actually stick to the major or minor scale. A lot of metal is chromatic. That's not a bad thing at all -- I'm not implying that (Hell, you can't deny how cool the melody in Carmen (the opera) sounds, and that's almost completely chromatic). This doesn't always go over well in this forum, but I suggest just fiddling for a bit to come up with a riff and then coming back to theory to accompany it.
i don't know why i feel so dry
Takes a bit of creativity, I just made up a very sinister sounding blues ditty in E Major. Learn your intervals and it becomes way easier
Quote by ironmaiden_98
for soloing or for a whole heavy song in a major key?
If it's soloing, then you just have to use the right major scale
Say you're in the key of A minor. you can use the C major scale to solo.
An easy way to find this scale is to play the second not in a pentatonic scale
(e.g. E|-5-8--|, where you are in the key of A and 5 is the root A in the pentatonic scale, while 8 is the second note, C) and play a major scale starting from that note
(e.g. E|-8-10-| A|-7-8-10-| etc.). in the key of A, this would be a C major scale. there are also other major scales that can be used to give a minor tone, for example if you are in the key of A, you can also play the F major scale as well as C major.
If you're talking about a whole song, idk i guess ur screwed

No. If you're playing C major over a piece in A minor, then you're playing A minor. It's as simple as that. Whatever note you start on doesn't change that.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by guitarmageddon0
any tips on using the major scale for a heavy feel... or just how to make it less poppy?

Use your ear and play something with a "heavy feel".

The Major scale is what it is. You don't "make" it do anything, you utilize it for what it has to offer. If you don't find that you can get the sound you want with a particular scale, the simple solution is to use a different scale.
shred is gaudy music
sure. Play it over minor chords in the parralel tones (whatever the name for them is), like if you play something in major scale in A, play minor chords in F# and so on..

I THINK that's the way to do it.. I suck at theory, but i think it's like that, and if you want to play minor over major, with minor scale in example A again, you'd have to play the major chords in C.. i think.. yea..

Anyway. that be my advice. even though it's worth **** with so many theory-guru's on here:P
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by Northernmight
sure. Play it over minor chords in the parralel tones (whatever the name for them is), like if you play something in major scale in A, play minor chords in F# and so on..

I THINK that's the way to do it.. I suck at theory, but i think it's like that, and if you want to play minor over major, with minor scale in example A again, you'd have to play the major chords in C.. i think.. yea..

Anyway. that be my advice. even though it's worth **** with so many theory-guru's on here:P

If you're playing in A minor you're playing in A minor. Therefore the chords would be regarded in relation to A not C.
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Quote by 7even
If you're playing in A minor you're playing in A minor. Therefore the chords would be regarded in relation to A not C.

Or rather, if the progression is in C, then the notes would be related to C, rather than relating the chords to the melody. Because the chords are defining the tonal center.