I got a JCM 2000 DSL and I want some more gain and a little less of a midsy sound, I have my settings at an alright place, but my shows recently haven't required me to turn up so I can't get that good overdriven tube sound. I was wondering can I hot rod it so it will sound good at lower levels? And I don't want to mess with an attenuator.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier HD Multi-Watt
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100MLB
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Install a power scale on your amp. You could also reamp it

Amp speaker out -> Load box with line out -> clean power amp -> speaker(s)
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
It's not usually something you can do without a fair amount of previous knowledge; it's not like changing your pickups where the worst thing that can happen is you burn yourself with a soldering iron.

That said, you could pull the two middle tubes and turn the impedance switch to the next highest setting (e.g. if it's on 8, set it to 16). It won't be a huge difference, but it's free to try and it's easy enough to do. Unfortunately, I do have to point out that marshall transformers don't always like that sort of thing and while it's fine in theory, there's a tiny chance you could damage your amp.
Well the only reason I don't like att's is that I don't know where to find a good one...
I just got the amp about a month ago, I really don't want to screw up my amp... if it does screw it up though how bad could it be?
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Quote by MightySumo
Well the only reason I don't like att's is that I don't know where to find a good one...
I just got the amp about a month ago, I really don't want to screw up my amp... if it does screw it up though how bad could it be?

You can't screw up an amp with an attenuator.

Good attenuators: http://www.tedweber.com/atten.htm

The THD hot plate is good as well
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Tanks for teh link.
Is using an attenuator hard?
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
^ I tried out a Power Brake and it had minimal tone loss as well if you don't go below -9db but the suxxor part is that it doesn't have a Line Out, which makes it a poor candidate for reamping (something all attenuated rigs should work towards, IMO).
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
To TS: You literally just turn a knob

to bubb_tubbs? I hear it all the time, but have NO IDEA what it is...

WTF is re-amping?
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
To TS: You literally just turn a knob

to bubb_tubbs? I hear it all the time, but have NO IDEA what it is...

WTF is re-amping?

You use the Line Out of an attenuator (which is basically a guitar-level signal coming from the amp after processing through the tubes for overdrive) and run that into another dedicated power amp, which you use to drive the speakers.

You can get whatever tone you desire reduced to line level and then drive the speakers as loud or as quiet as you want without changing the overall sound.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
My bad disturbed-26- I was told on here a while back that you had to solder crap and rewire stuff, I didn't know you could just get a direct line thing goin
And thanks again for that link, the next I get is going to be an attenuator
1960 A&B cabs
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Schecter C1+ (modded)
LTD EC-1000vb
Blueridge 160 CE
BOSS | TU-3 | DD-7
Line 6 G-50 wireless
Quote by bubb_tubbs
You use the Line Out of an attenuator (which is basically a guitar-level signal coming from the amp after processing through the tubes for overdrive) and run that into another dedicated power amp, which you use to drive the speakers.

You can get whatever tone you desire reduced to line level and then drive the speakers as loud or as quiet as you want without changing the overall sound.

Wait so you attenuate the power amp? The dedicated poweramp replaces the one of my amp, correct? (Not replace it, but would be used instead?)

I got that, but don't understand the rest.

EDIT:^Power-scaling involves all that stuff. Attenuation is easy.

No prob man
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
Wait so you attenuate the power amp? The dedicated poweramp replaces the one of my amp, correct? (Not replace it, but would be used instead?)

I got that, but don't understand the rest.

EDIT:^Power-scaling involves all that stuff. Attenuation is easy.

No prob man

No.

You use your power amp cranked up to whatever level you choose to achieve power tube harmonic distortion. Then that distorted signal is attenuated down to line level using the attenuator as a load box.

That line-level signal is then re-amped through another power amp into the speakers.

So the signal goes like this:

Guitar > FX > Preamp > Loop (if there is one) > Power amp > Load (attenuator) > Power amp > Speakers