Has anyone ever entered the king of blues competition that Guitar Center does annually? I'm pretty sure I have no chance to advance all the way , but i figure'd hell why not give the store round a shot? I saw some videos on youtube of the Dallas in store guys in 07 and i thought I might be able to top it. Thoughts? Suggestions?
If I can get them to let me in even though I'm 15(the age limit is 16) due to the fact I'll be 16 before the end of the competition, I'm confident I can win the store and possible district rounds. Regional and national I doubt, but if I get in I intend to try. But unless I win the entire thing by some miracle, I intend to enter doubtlessly in the 2010 competition.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Yeah I remember I wanted to do it back when I was 15 but A) Too young and B) I really blew lol. I think I could be a contender in the store round , district I don't know I've seen some people around town who can REALLY tear it down. I'm signing up tomorrow been jamming to the backing tracks , the backing tracks make for great fun and jam time! If you are entering or not you should download them to have , pretty sweet!
Aye, I downloaded all the backing tracks and generally have been enjoying most of them, though I have to say that Pete Anderson's are much better than GC's.

Where are the Anderson tracks at? Yeah I chose Stone Blues to jam over, did a test video this morning sounds alright but not amazing I despise my tone lol
I heard the searchbar entered.

Also does anybody wonder what would happen if someone like Eric Clapton entered? Or the dude from Muddy Waters? I can't remember his name damnit!
I really wanted to (cuz i'm not too bad ) but i'm only 15
But i will enter next year
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
You should show up and jam outside by yourself lol work up the crowd before they go in and be like yeahhhhh im 15.
Quote by Eliyahu
I heard the searchbar entered.

Also does anybody wonder what would happen if someone like Eric Clapton entered? Or the dude from Muddy Waters? I can't remember his name damnit!

jimmy rogers I think.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
I might do it. I'll have to jam to the tracks some more. I just can't get in a groove with the songs though for some reason.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
I might do it. I'll have to jam to the tracks some more. I just can't get in a groove with the songs though for some reason.

Same here I really felt forced with a lot of the tracks until I did stone blues , I got my vid up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0braHK_JRw4 check it out if you guys have time. It's really open to interpretation with the track you can go anywhere with it which i really like.
I signed up the other day. Should be a good time, but I'll have to work to keep the shred out of my playing.
Quote by iantheman
jimmy rogers I think.

Oops I didn't even mean Muddy Waters, I was thinking Howlin' Wolf. Hubert Sumlin is one of the greatest blues guitarists I have seen play, and I've seen him live.
Quote by Nirvana_RATM2
Same here I really felt forced with a lot of the tracks until I did stone blues , I got my vid up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0braHK_JRw4 check it out if you guys have time. It's really open to interpretation with the track you can go anywhere with it which i really like.

I think you need a little less Hair metal in your blues.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by iantheman
I think you need a little less Hair metal in your blues.

ouchhhh haha jk , what can I say that's just how I play , I really can't change it.
This sounded almost interesting to me until I checked out the official rules, and it said that you weren't allowed to bring your own amps, and that they would be provided by Guitar Center.

Normally, I would be okay with this, but my GC's selection of amps absolutely sucks, especially in the tube amp department. They have a really small selection when it comes to tube amps. I know for a fact that they wouldn't use any of their higher end stuff for a contest like this, since my school did a promo event with them, and all they really supplied was a Spider Valve (which I think they borrowed from another store), a bunch of Spider III's, and a MG halfstack.

The only tube amp that I saw there that doesn't fall under high end (which is about over $800 dollars in my book) was a 5W Fender Champ, and a Valveking, which I don't care too much for. The Peavey Classic 30 (Which I like) or a Blackheart (Which I own) would be my top choices for playing the blues, but my GC doesn't even carry them.

They probably don't want to spend a ton of time setting up, and having a few in house amps levels the playing field a bit for the judges, but I could totally see some employee there telling me, "Hey bro, you're up next, go plug into that Spider III over there...It's got some blues settings..."

That's enough to turn me off from the competition...
Sounds like some MAJOR assumptions MrKroc. As far as I know my GC rep told me they'd have a marshall JVM set up , a Fender 65' and a pretty nice VOX. I mean either way if you are on a not amazing amp so is everyone else?
Quote by MrKroc
This sounded almost interesting to me until I checked out the official rules, and it said that you weren't allowed to bring your own amps, and that they would be provided by Guitar Center.

Normally, I would be okay with this, but my GC's selection of amps absolutely sucks, especially in the tube amp department. They have a really small selection when it comes to tube amps. I know for a fact that they wouldn't use any of their higher end stuff for a contest like this, since my school did a promo event with them, and all they really supplied was a Spider Valve (which I think they borrowed from another store), a bunch of Spider III's, and a MG halfstack.

The only tube amp that I saw there that doesn't fall under high end (which is about over $800 dollars in my book) was a 5W Fender Champ, and a Valveking, which I don't care too much for. The Peavey Classic 30 (Which I like) or a Blackheart (Which I own) would be my top choices for playing the blues, but my GC doesn't even carry them.

They probably don't want to spend a ton of time setting up, and having a few in house amps levels the playing field a bit for the judges, but I could totally see some employee there telling me, "Hey bro, you're up next, go plug into that Spider III over there...It's got some blues settings..."

That's enough to turn me off from the competition...

From the site;

There will be 4 of the following amps set up (see below). Keep in mind that the choices will vary from one store to the next based on availability. Feel free to check with the store ahead of time.

* Marshall DSL100 Half Stack or Haze combo
* Vox AC-30 or AC30CC2X
* Mesa Boogie 2x12 combo, Rectifier Half Stack or Peavy 6505 + Half Stack
* Fender '65 Twin Reverb, Hot Rode Deville 410, '65 Super Reverb or SuperSonic

Please read in before making assumptions.

Quote by guitarnoobie
Am I the only person who thinks guitar competitions are lame?

no. i'm with you.

an to the dude complaining about the amp set up...who cares? just play some ****ing music.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
I just signed up today, and I'm the youngest one in the list .
I'm just doing it so I can get used to playing in front of people
Quote by guitarnoobie
Am I the only person who thinks guitar competitions are lame?

I agree. I have no interest in competitions unless its with my band and we get something besides a trophy if we win.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

yep, i'm doing it. gonna be practicing hard, getting my chops up and getting a good routine down for the backing track, mixing lots of cool weird stuff and hopefully i'll make it past district.

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
I agree. I have no interest in competitions unless its with my band and we get something besides a trophy if we win.

ha..winner gets 25,000 dollars cash, a '59 Gibson les paul, endorsements from ernie b all, boss, marshall, vox, and gibson and a 2,500 dollar shopping spree with Levi. Plus not to mention you basically become famous overnight in the guitar community, you get to be in guitar center's catalog and guitar world and if you're lucky you might get asked to play with a band or something.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Last edited by calebrocker at Jul 28, 2009,
we don't get anythng like that in ireland..just the normal battle of the bands stuff
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!