So I just got a Fender Hot Rod Deville and I'm having a hard time finding the exact tone I want from it. It has some different knobs than my old amp so maybe that's where I'm a bit confused. Anyway I find that either my low strings will be too bassy or my high strings will be too piercingly trebley. I've tried messing around with the eq and presence knobs but I can't find a happy medium. Any advice?

P.s. I use it only on the clean channel and drive it with an overdrive pedal which has these settings.
Drive - varies between 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock
Tone - usually almost full which would be 3 or 4 o'clock, then controlled by my tone knobs on my guitar
Volume - 12 o'clock which would be flat
Drive won't do anything. I'd turn it to 2ish and keep it low, crank master volume to make up for lack of gain taking volume away and use the drive as a tubescreamer type thing. Crunchy ass disto as well if you go over to more drive too.

turn down the damnded volume though. If its' anything like my Hot Rod Deluxe it gets most of its' volume between 2-4 and will start breaking up by 6, thus giving a fuzzy tone.

Pull down the bass and treble, and keep them relatively balanced. It keeps the treble from sounding harsh from the bassy punch coming out (Deville/Hotrods are naturally bassy) and too much treble and it gets just icky.

Where do you have your prescence knob?
Last edited by manhangi at Jul 8, 2009,
Ya even at 2 I'm louder than a drummer and keep up with a whole band. I have my presence around 4 I think. I'm going for a really smooth trebley overdriven sound without making ears bleed. Think The Strokes or The Libertines.
Well, adjusting the prescence might help this, and tone knobs are def needed.

The prescence is basically what frequencies of the treble show through the amp. In simpler terms, the closer to 0, the more it sounds like there is a blanket over the amp.

On my hotrod, with a Les Paul mind you, I keep my settings around (take out volume), 2.1 6.2. 6.5, 8, reverb to taste, 6 prescense. It gives me a smooth tone, not overly trebly though. Its' got a lot of bass umph to it as well.

Also my bad about misreading, I thought the settings were for your amp. Not your drive pedal. Lowering the tone on your overdrive may also help if you're playing on that predominately. Is your straight clean channel too harsh on your ears as is? What kind of strings are you using? (cause if you're using a .10-.52 drop to normal .10s and you got rid of too bassy problem, if you're using .9s go up to .10s)
I'm playing on a Les Paul Special DC with P90s. The straight clean channel seems ok, it's just when I mix it with the overdrive and I'm hammering on barre chords that it sounds bad. Ya I guess I'll have to just cut some of the tone and presence which is a shame because it just doesn't sound as lush without them.
i have the blues deville reissue from mexico, i don't know if you have the mexican one or the original american one, but the mexican seems to have a linear volume knob instead of an audio knob so it peaks it's volume at 4 or so, really loud(mine has 12 point knobs, not 10 point) i plan on fixing this in the future. i also noticed the sound being a bit harsh on the mexican ones as well, i replaced a the V2(preamp driver tube) with a 12at-7 and it made everything on the amp more usable. also, i use the 2nd input because it has a -db on it so it also mellows the amp more. after all that mellowing it allowed me to run presence and eq at a more reasonable setting(around all 6's, remember 12 scale)

i don't know if this helps you, seeing as i don't know if your amp is american or mexican, and i have the blue deville and not the hot rod deville but it is my 2 cents
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jul 9, 2009,
I have the mexican one as well actually. The 2nd input might actually be a good idea if it does in fact lower the volume. Is there somewhere online I can order that preamp driver tube from? And how would you go about doing the volume fix? Right now if I'm a hair off on volume I'm either louder than everyone or can't be heard.

All of these replies have been pretty helpful, feel free to add more if you think of anything. Thanks.
Well man, your tone certainly ain't lush if you're getting harsh treble.

Again, strings may be able to help you and your EQ. really light/bite sounding strings can sound harsh with too much treble.
Oh ya I'm just using Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys, standard .10s. I've been thinking it over all day and I think if I use input 2, dial the treble to 6, bass to 7 for some warmth, mids around 5, presence around 4 or 5 and then just work the tone knob on my guitar it might actually work...
I've only had the amp for a week and 5 of those days we were in the studio so I didn't have time to really mess around with it.

Would you say another brand would have less harsh sounding strings? Even if they're still 10's?
Dean Markley, maybe. I think gauge is more important than brand. Any Nickle Steel set will have the old school sound. Also, a .46 being way to bassy is blasphemy. I use .54 and .56 all the freaking time!

The amp takes time to get accustomed to.
Quote by jamiethorpe
I have the mexican one as well actually. The 2nd input might actually be a good idea if it does in fact lower the volume. Is there somewhere online I can order that preamp driver tube from? And how would you go about doing the volume fix? Right now if I'm a hair off on volume I'm either louder than everyone or can't be heard.

All of these replies have been pretty helpful, feel free to add more if you think of anything. Thanks.

i'd get a jj 12at-7 from euro tubes if you want to go online. if not i am sure a local dealer has one. to tell truth if i were you i would replace the input tube(V1) with a jj gold tipped ecc803, the driver tube(V2) with a jj 12at-7 and the phase inverter(V3) with a jj balanced 12ax-7. thats if i was being particular anyway. the euro tubes guy just carries jj tubes and will test tubes for balanced 12ax-7's or hot 12ax-7's. i actually replaced my V1 with an old mullard 12ax-7, the V2 with an old ge 12at-7, and the V3 with an old magnavoz 12ax-7, it sounds great. i can actually get the volume to 3 or 4 now and be tolerable.

but the volume knob i feel is the real problem, it tops out around 5 when it should be topping at 9 or 10(12 point knobs). and i believe(though i could be wrong) that the reason is an inadequate linear volume knob when an audio volume knob is needed.

the volume knob fix would require someone actually acquiring a new audio knob and then replacing the stock linear volume knob with your new audio audio knob. this will probably require soldering, and shouldn't be tried by someone inexperienced.
Quote by jamiethorpe
Ya I probably just need to f**k with it some more. Just figured I'd ask here to see if there was some problem with this thing I missed while researching it.

Just keep making 'jumps' on one setting at a time untill you find your niche. Thats how I got it.

When I said "I need more bass for a fatter sound" I bumped my bass up 4 notches. Then if I got a more pleasurable overall sound I'd fine tune it. Eventually it'll click and you'll find your tone.

What OD do you use? Styles? With this amp if you're playing Black Keys or something blues-rocky then your prefered tones will be easy to find. If you're gonna be playing mid-high gain then the EQ may be harder since this is built for low-gain usage.
I have a Hot Rod Deluxe, EQ'd something like this.

Bass - 3
Mids - 2
Treb - 4
Presence - 7

The fact that I'm actually butting everything but presence (5+ would be boosting I think) keeps it smooth but boosting the presence adds a kind of "finesse" to the sound. It's hard to explain but maybe give it a go and see what you think.
***Short Sig***
My stuff definitely wouldn't be considered high gain. I have a jekyll and hyde from visual sound and I set the drive anywhere from 9 o'clock (7 being none) to 3 o'clock. I tried the treble and bass around 5 with the mids around 7 and it actually sounds pretty good. I think presence somewhere around 5 as well. As far as bands go we cover The Libertines, The Strokes, The Kooks and Kings of Leon as well as some other bands. Generally we're playing originals though.