Epiphone LP special 2 or Ibanez GAX30?

I haven't been playing long but my guitar is old so I need a new one,
I play a large range of music but I think I prefer blues and classic rock.

Can anybody help me decide?
Equipment

Piece of shit Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr 15

GAS
Vintage V100
Orange Micro Crush
Vox wah pedal
Epiphone Valve Jr
i hav a gax30 and it has a nice neck and good action. it has basswood body and a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. even tho gax30's r like 150 dollars they r great guitars. they hav a great tone for classic rock and blues (but it is also the amp that decides that too). LP r good for classic rock (idk alot of info and technical stuff bout LP's). i would go with the ibanez unless u can save more money and get a higher end LP
mm, i have had a gax30 for a while. It plays pretty good i guess, and from what i've heard cheaper lp's are crap.
HELL NO @ Epi LP. If you're going to get a LP from Epi, you have to at least buy a standard to get anything good.

I've never tried a GAX though, they seem okay, like a good beginner guitar.
FIGHT MY BRUTE!
Quote by Tackleberry
Only time Ive seen a true single coil in a chrome humbucker housing was chinese knock off where they claimed it was a humbucker but half the housing was empty.
Yeah I've only been playing for 4 months and the GAX30 seems simple and reliable from reviews I've read so I'll go with that,
And if Epiphone LPs are that bad I'll stay well away
Thanks guys
Equipment

Piece of shit Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr 15

GAS
Vintage V100
Orange Micro Crush
Vox wah pedal
Epiphone Valve Jr
Last edited by mcguicken at Jul 8, 2009,
Ok, to clear up for the Epi since theyve never played one or are biased to the Ibanez,

I own one. I have had mine proffesionally set up, and it plays really good. Nice low action. And its a durable guitar. It doesnt sound amazing, cuz the pickups arent the the greatest, but it suits the need of a beginner and has no major flaws for a guitar at 170 bucks. IMO it is worth it. I love mine, and i think they are bashed on way to much. Mine holds tune well and i hardly break strings. And i play pretty hard.

But in your best interest, dont listen to any of us. Well, listen, but find out for yourself. Go pkay both. You may HATE the epi and LOVE the Ibanez, or vice versa. But you cant go with what everyone says on UG even if they seem to be a guitar guru.
Thanks nickdohle, thats probably the most helpful reply I've ever read,
The problem is I can't try either guitar because no guitar shops near me stock them so I'll have to buy off the internet so I'm going to have to buy one of them based on what all you guys have told me...
Equipment

Piece of shit Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr 15

GAS
Vintage V100
Orange Micro Crush
Vox wah pedal
Epiphone Valve Jr
Quote by mcguicken
Thanks nickdohle, thats probably the most helpful reply I've ever read,
The problem is I can't try either guitar because no guitar shops near me stock them so I'll have to buy off the internet so I'm going to have to buy one of them based on what all you guys have told me...

Thats a risky move bud. Id be very careful. Do you have any friends who own either guitar? Or do you think you can connect with someone through school, work, something? Buying off a site like musicians friend is incredibly convenient if you know what your getting. But if your taking a lucky shot, and get a guitar you dont like at all, then you may not feel like you want to play. It may seem like a waste of money. So do your best to try and test these out. It will be the best decision you can make.
Nobody I know has either of these guitars, my guitar teacher has a signature Ibanez model but thats as close as I could probably get,
It's incredibly hard to find a decent guitar shop in Northern Ireland!
Equipment

Piece of shit Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr 15

GAS
Vintage V100
Orange Micro Crush
Vox wah pedal
Epiphone Valve Jr
Ah, now that makes since. Um, well then. i honestly dont know what to tell you. Because i have never played on the GAX i cant tell you what i prefer. I would be willing to bet that your guitar teachers ibanez will be light years different than the GAX but once again, not sure.

This will be hard. If you can buy from a place that has a thing where you can trade in a guitar before a certain period of days, i would try out one, and then if you dont like it, send it back!

But, no matter what you go with, get your guitar teacher, or someone experienced at least, to set up that guitar. It will be much better for you. Easier to play, and might further increase the desire to play.

So if you absolutely cant play one, (Im gonna kill myself for saying this) but go for looks. And try that route.
Yea, the special II is crap, I have it. it's reliable, and the tone isn't all bad.. but it doesn't have a specific or nice tone.

My thing to say about this craziness.... is just use the guitar you have until you're more skilled and have a little more money. Age isn't a factor. this is why people play Les paul '59s, to this day.
Quote by Gh057
Yea, the special II is crap, I have it. it's reliable, and the tone isn't all bad.. but it doesn't have a specific or nice tone.

My thing to say about this craziness.... is just use the guitar you have until you're more skilled and have a little more money. Age isn't a factor. this is why people play Les paul '59s, to this day.

I think by him saying that its old he meant that he could use something new. To rekindle that love for Guitar!!!

And the Special II isnt really supposed to have a specific genre to suit. Its meant for beginners of all styles.

But, i do agree that if its possible, to save up a little more. You dont need to save up and buy something insane. But 100 extra could help tremendously. But if its not available, then i wouldnt fret over it to much.
Quote by Gh057
Yea, the special II is crap.

No, its not. I have mines for a few years now, i love this thing. It plays like a dream and sounds heavy as hell. Reliable aswell, i gig mines regularly without backup

AMAZING GUITARS for the money, thinner necj than any of the customs or standards so you really can play faster.
Bazza

Epiphone Les Paul Special ll w/ an SD Dimebucker and a Dean Zebra neck pup
Bugera 333xl Head
Bugera 412-bk Cab
Roland Cube 15
Behringer Hell Babe Wah
Dan Electro tuna-melt
EHX Metal Muff

Bugera Lover!
I'm with nick here, played an Epi Standard and it was amazing whatever anyone says. From what I've heard the studio is pretty much the same while the Special is crap, but that's just due to the tuners and the pickups, both of which you can replace if you feel like it.

When you say they don't stock either, did you ask if they'll order it? Most will, and it's best to have somewhere to bring it back to to get repaired. Otherwise just ask them what else they have in the store, electric guitars are remarkably similar.
well ive got a gax30 and tbh it kinda sucks. maybe i just think that because im playing through the worst amp ever though
I never said the special II was crap..

But Union of V's second paragraph is a fantastic idea. Go with that.
Go with the Gax at least it´ll be set-up straight out of the box when you get it, and they are´nt that bad of a guitar for the price. If you could find one of the older models with the D tuner I´d jump on that.
Quote by sstony
Go with the Gax at least it´ll be set-up straight out of the box when you get it, and they are´nt that bad of a guitar for the price. If you could find one of the older models with the D tuner I´d jump on that.

Are you sure that the GAX will be set up out of the box? Thats rare for any guitar. It will be playable out of the box but so will the Epi.

Doesnt matter what you go with, a set up will be needed. The guitar isnt going to come out of the box perfectly set up. there might be some fret buzz and prolly some dead frets. But that will apply to both guitars.

I dont know anything about the d tuner so i wont comment on that one.
Our guitars are set-up before they leave the shop !!!!!!! No dead frets, fret buzz or any of that BS, Thats how we do it, I dont know who your distributer is or where you´ll be getting your Ibanez but it should be set-up correct without any problems whatsoever.
Quote by sstony

From what I've heard Ibanez's aren't set up great (Indonesian factory, what do you expect...)
You do not get your guitar direct from the factory, each and every guitar is checked & tested before they are sold. I can not comment on the epi lp as far as there quality control goes, but ours are done correct so right out of the box it´s ready to rock. (after you tune it)
Quote by sstony
Our guitars are set-up before they leave the shop !!!!!!! No dead frets, fret buzz or any of that BS, Thats how we do it, I dont know who your distributer is or where you´ll be getting your Ibanez but it should be set-up correct without any problems whatsoever.

But dont you think depending on where its at, changes in temp, humidity, and other things would affect it in some way? Especially ordering off the web?? Im not an expert or anything but from what ive read, this has something to do with it.

I bought my guitar from the Gibson shop. It was set up when i got it, but after the first string change (I had no idea what i was doing at the time) i messed the action up and raised it extremely high. Thats why my guitars been set up by a tech.
Yes of course, like the neck might need a minor tweak but other then that unless of course you may want the strings lower or higher depending or your personal preferences the guitar is ready to be plugged in and played.
Quote by sstony
Yes of course, like the neck might need a minor tweak but other then that unless of course you may want the strings lower or higher depending or your personal preferences the guitar is ready to be plugged in and played.

Well i wasnt trying to insist either guitar was gonna have a sloppy set up. I didnt mean that at all. Id just hate for this guy to buy a guitar and it feel unplayable to him because of a possible bad set up. But hey, who knows.
Ok then,
I'll go to the guitar shop and see if they'll order me a LP special 2 and have them set it up for me.....and restring it with ernie balls or something
Equipment

Piece of shit Strat copy
Peavey Vypyr 15

GAS
Vintage V100
Orange Micro Crush
Vox wah pedal
Epiphone Valve Jr