I bought an effect pedal day before yesterday (my first one), and had dropped off my guitar for a neck adjustment and restringing. Upon getting my guitar back, I figured out I payed $20 for a brick.

Can you give me some advice on buying pedals/ signs they don't work since in store credit is all i get. This or refer me to a thread my angst-fueled rage made me miss?
go sell it back to the pawn shop
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
DS-1s are pretty meh stock, but they are amazing mod platforms. You can do a lot of great mods to make them sound good/different.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
DS-1s are pretty meh stock, but they are amazing mod platforms. You can do a lot of great mods to make them sound good/different.

+1 to that

$20 isnt bad for a ds-1 if you're intending on modding it, but yeah....stock isnt so great

..try to return it to the pawn shop?
usually they have no return policies, though

if you're in the northern US or in Canada, I might buy it off you for ..I dunno. a reasonable price
i bought a ds-1 for $10, spent $10 on parts/mods and installed my self, and then sold it to someone for $65, dont say they're worthless

signs of a guitar pedal being a dud?

well, it not working is a good indication.

f you cant get it to work, you can probably sell the enclosure/jacks/pots for $10 to a pedal builder

edit- am i the only one thinking it's strange you took you guitar to get setup at a pawn shop?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
The first thing a lot of pawn shops do is take out the 9v. It's a free battery from them, and then prospective buyers have no way of knowing if the pedal works and get to take the shop's word for it (and we all know how honest pawn shops are).
Trying a pedal out is really the only way to go. If you can get one, micro amps are really cheap and you can plug in real quick to see if it works.
If you don't get that twenty dollar "brick", as you called it, modded or repaired, I highly recommend building a home or a wall using it. The people who don't know a thing about guitar pedals will be fiddling it, trying to figure out its purpose.

"So increasing gain won't increase my income?"

"I'm afraid not."
No gods or kings. There is only zuul.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

I have been sigged by UG's Greek, what have YOU done today?
try before you buy for sure. Another thing if its one of the cheap digitech ones ya might as well buy it new.
Guitars- Ibanez rgx digital snow camo
Amplifiers- Randall 125 watt halfstack ( payed 350 for the stack )
Quote by Scutchington
If you don't get that twenty dollar "brick", as you called it, modded or repaired, I highly recommend building a home or a wall using it. The people who don't know a thing about guitar pedals will be fiddling it, trying to figure out its purpose.

"I'm afraid not."

Huh?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Huh?

I can see that you missed the joke.
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now police, fire, and EMS vehicle's sirens sound in tritones. Suck it Christians, your protectors are satans minions.

Quote by conor1148
i bought a ds-1 for $10, spent $10 on parts/mods and installed my self, and then sold it to someone for $65, dont say they're worthless

signs of a guitar pedal being a dud?

well, it not working is a good indication.

f you cant get it to work, you can probably sell the enclosure/jacks/pots for $10 to a pedal builder

edit- am i the only one thinking it's strange you took you guitar to get setup at a pawn shop?

I didn't i went to an actual guitar store for this
Quote by guitarted
Doc, brick. as in mortar.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

obviously try before you buy...

BUT...........

the pawn shops here i've been to won't even let you do that. You either look and leave or buy w/out trying.
Quote by Carrionshine
obviously try before you buy...

BUT...........

the pawn shops here i've been to won't even let you do that. You either look and leave or buy w/out trying.

thats strange, most pawn shops around here are pretty cool about letting you try the **** first, and usually have a return policy.

then again, this is mid-georiga where there is a pawn shop at every freakin corner, i suppose if it means more customers, they'll let you do that.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Scutchington

"I'm afraid not."

LOL, greatest post ever
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
LOL, greatest post ever

Thank you.
Quote by RU Experienced?

Quote by MatrixClaw
LOL, greatest post ever

I finally got it! ...After reading it like 10 times.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Did you check the battery? It could just have a dead one.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ASTRAL PANDA σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Last.fm
Just making sure:
You know that in order for the light to go on plug the cable into BOTH ends, make sure the battery's not dead, and that you have the right battery. If that doesn't work, you could try sending it into Boss
Gear:
Fender American Strat
Washburn Idol
Pitchblack > Cst OD > M5 > Flashback Tripple Delay > SIZE=1]Whirly Verb
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
Marshall 1960AV