to get a EHX Small Stone and Mistress? I mean are phaser/flange/chorus all the same? I know their all modulations so pretty similar, but is having both pedals a little redundant? Thanks!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

no, they are not the same. and who cares about redundancy? it's whatever helps youget the sounds in your head out of your amp that matters.
well a chorus isnt but a phaser and flanger r alike in some ways. chorus is used alot on clean tones.
Quote by ampoverload
well a chorus isnt but a phaser and flanger r alike in some ways. chorus is used alot on clean tones.

Noooooo!!! Phasers and flangers are nothing alike. The only similarity is that they are both "sweeping" effects because they are controlled by an LFO (so is a chorus, technically speaking). I won't go into details, but they all sound different and it's really a preference thing.
TS - don't bother with a Stereo Electric Mistress because it's pretty lame, go for the Deluxe Electric Mistress.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
I saw a sample of the stereo EM on youtube and he was getting some sounds that I was diggin!!
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

A chorus uses an LFO to control the pitch of a slightly delayed signal. Then the pitchbent signal is mixed with your original signal giving an overall fatter sound due to the detuning.
A flanger uses an LFO to control the pitch of a delayed signal (smaller delay than that of a chorus. Then, the original and modulated signal are mixed together and you get the sweep.
A phaser uses an LFO to control the phase of the signal. Then the original and the modulated tone get mixed together.
So, in theory they are similar (except phasing), but they all sound pretty distinct.
EDIT: The SEM is pretty lame. You get very little control over the sound and it sounds much thinner than the DEM which is much more lush/warm/thick sounding.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Last edited by Dr.Pain-MD at Jul 8, 2009,
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Noooooo!!! Phasers and flangers are nothing alike. The only similarity is that they are both "sweeping" effects because they are controlled by an LFO (so is a chorus, technically speaking). I won't go into details, but they all sound different and it's really a preference thing.
TS - don't bother with a Stereo Electric Mistress because it's pretty lame, go for the Deluxe Electric Mistress.

thats why i said in some ways. different sound but hav a basic "woosh" sound
Thanks Dr Pain, I do have a few questions though...

LFO = ???

I thought the flanger signal would do something like a ball in pong going back and forth...I'm confused but I'll wrestle with the concept.

Phase...I still don't understand at all but thanks for trying!
An LFO is a low frequency oscillator. They are used to cotrol parameters so that they "move" within human hearing range. This is what causes the sweep in a flanger or the volume see-saw in a tremolo. Read up on Wiki if you don't know:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-frequency_oscillation

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Ah, damn, I thought I was missing something. Thanks for the catch.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

with the mistress is the chorus and flanger are designed to work together but on their own they are...........pretty good at best.